Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious as to parts swaps, i.e. intake runners, etc....

if i remember, the lincoln LS used to have 230HP while the Taurus had 200HP - but the same engine size (3.0L), etc....

unsure what to search for... so i'm asking in this thread. :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
vehicles that use the Duratec 3.0L:

Jag X-type and S-type
Ford Escape, Taurus, 500, Fusion
Mercury Mariner, Sable, Montego, Milan
Mazda Tribute, 6, MPV
Lincoln LS, Zephyr

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Jax6S@Oct 17 2005, 01:47 PM
link 1

link 2
[snapback]536147[/snapback]​

yes, i know the history of the Duratec - thanks... I've owned 3 Duratec based vehicles...

2001 Taurus SES 3.0L (200HP)
1998 SVT Contour 2.5L (195HP)
and the 2004 6s 3.0L (220HP)

i was wondering if anyone on this forum has toyed with interchangability of intakes (non-dual runner) for more power or possibility of extrude-honed metal intakes... yes i realize that the hood doesn't give massive amounts of clearance, but the Lincoln LS model puts out 232HP (more than our 220) and that's with an automatic to boot...

what's different at the intrinsic layers to make more power - i'm sure it's combos of intake/exhaust/port matching, etc...

has ANYONE EXPERIMENTED! that's my real question!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by crossbow@Oct 17 2005, 03:50 PM
Noble M12 :).
[snapback]536258[/snapback]​

where's the 'drool' smiley :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by crossbow@Oct 17 2005, 02:20 PM
http://www.contour.org

http://www.fastcougar.net

You have about 1,400 pages of threads to read.  Then 84fordman will tell you that there is an "archived" section.
[snapback]536179[/snapback]​

yep been there.... i used to moderate the CA forum on CEG :drive:

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Originally posted by speedracer6@Oct 17 2005, 05:28 PM
vehicles that use the Duratec 3.0L:

Jag X-type and S-type
Ford Escape, Taurus, 500, Fusion
Mercury Mariner, Sable, Montego, Milan
Mazda Tribute, 6, MPV
Lincoln LS, Milan
[snapback]536188[/snapback]​
A slight side note to your list:

While the 500, Freestyle, Milan and X-type all have a Duratec 3.0L, they are missing one key ingredient that we enjoy in our Duratec 3.0L:

A forged steel crank.

The crank in the 500, Freestyle, Milan and X-type is cast iron :tear:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
what's different at the intrinsic layers to make more power - i'm sure it's combos of intake/exhaust/port matching, etc...
Premium fuel, hands down.

Take for example just a straight swaps 3.0L oval port swap in a contour. With no extra tuning, the SVT ECU makes just as much or more power to the wheels than our car does, even though the engine was initially rated at 200-205 in the Taurus/Escape/Sable and even though they have no VVT.

With tuning, they can reach the 200-210 FWHP mark. And with good port matching, valve work, polishing, etc, they can hit the 220FWHP mark. Thats gotta be more than what the LS or Jag put down to the wheels.

The point is, all that intake technology while nice on a stock vehicle for its road going purposes, don't necessarily provide a great advantage to the tuner.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've had some discussions recently here at work (we do engine calibrations) and found that the advantages in air velocity that creates more torque by IMRCs or IMT, comes from increased spark timing. We know that the air velocity causes better fuel/air mixing for better combustion, but what it really does is makes the engine less susceptible to knock. So by itself IMRC or IMT won't increase in low end power. But it will allow you to increase your timing which will cause an increase in low end power. Unfortunately we can't increase our timing to capture this power, even if we did find a manifold that would give us this advantage. It appears to be a waste of time unless we can get another ECU.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Originally posted by 84FordMan@Oct 17 2005, 10:29 PM
A slight side note to your list:

While the 500, Freestyle, Milan and X-type all have a Duratec 3.0L, they are missing one key ingredient that we enjoy in our Duratec 3.0L:

A forged steel crank.

The crank in the 500, Freestyle, Milan and X-type is cast iron  :tear:
[snapback]536430[/snapback]​
Did you mean Montego (500's brother)? The Milan is the same as the Fusion.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Originally posted by speedracer6@Oct 18 2005, 12:44 PM
Did you mean Montego (500's brother)?  The Milan is the same as the Fusion.
[snapback]536866[/snapback]​
This is from pyrocon, and anyone from CEG knows he is the Duratec God of Knowledge, the man has tolerances and clearances memorized..

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The Milan and the Fusion get their engines off the exact same line at Cleveland Engine Plant #2. The Montego gets its' engine off the same assembly line as the Five Hundred and the Freestyle do -- CEP #1. It's the Montego that shares the same cast-iron crank with the Freestyle and Five Hundred, not the Milan.

Another difference with the Duratec30 in those 3 cars is that engines at CEP#1 are not hot-tested like they are at other facilities. So those engines aren't actually fired up until they're driven out of the factory in their respective cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
Sigma
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing