Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the acel 4v ignition coils and I wanna know what would be the best spark plugs to run with them?
Also, would I want to get a cai and colder thermostat?
Any other suggestions r very much appreciated as well

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
OEM Spec - 0.044" gap max. C/R dictates gap, not coil. 05/06 are colder plugs than earlier. Run the colder plug unless your burning oil. Run the hotter plug.
CAI - varies
Stat - leave it alone. Colder increases engine wear and sludge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM Spec - 0.044" gap max. C/R dictates gap, not coil. 05/06 are colder plugs than earlier. Run the colder plug unless your burning oil. Run the hotter plug.
CAI - varies
Stat - leave it alone. Colder increases engine wear and sludge.
Thanks for the help!! i think the max gap for a 3.0 is .057 though. I'm running my current plugs around .053ish

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Thanks for the help!! i think the max gap for a 3.0 is .057 though. I'm running my current plugs around .053ish
Notice they changed the spec some time in 06 as well as the heat range...

XP104 applicable to 2003-2005 3.0 // Gap = 0.051"
XP103 applicable to 2006-2008 3.0 // Gap = 0.044" = Motorcraft AGSF12FC

With the coil packs having failures like they do, I gapped mine at 0.044". That was at 80,000 its close to 95,000 now. Likely install Beck & Arnley around 100,000 and check the plugs.

Bigger gaps take more energy. If its not there, they misfire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Notice they changed the spec some time in 06 as well as the heat range...

XP104 applicable to 2003-2005 3.0 // Gap = 0.051"
XP103 applicable to 2006-2008 3.0 // Gap = 0.044" = Motorcraft AGSF12FC

With the coil packs having failures like they do, I gapped mine at 0.044". That was at 80,000 its close to 95,000 now. Likely install Beck & Arnley around 100,000 and check the plugs.

Bigger gaps take more energy. If its not there, they misfire.
I'm not misfiring or anything right now. But should i take em down to .051?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I went to 0.045" and can't find where I got that info! lol It seems to run the same. Same fuel trims. Same MPG and no performance loss detected. Its cheap insurance IMO. Be sure to confirm those coils are wired with the same polarity.... Some set was different. Not sure which tho. IDR.

Looked like so when I pulled them. Nice an Clean! Maybe a little warm for my liking. I don't oppose a tan color.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to 0.045" and can't find where I got that info! lol It seems to run the same. Same fuel trims. Same MPG and no performance loss detected. Its cheap insurance IMO. Be sure to confirm those coils are wired with the same polarity.... Some set was different. Not sure which tho. IDR.

Looked like so when I pulled them. Nice an Clean! Maybe a little warm for my liking. I don't oppose a tan color.
I have a 2005 so I should drop it to .051 according to u right?
And yea there r two models of the coils...2v which have the different polarity, and then the 4v which don't have piece of plastic meant for bolting them down. It seems pretty easy to rig up a bolt down for them tho

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Consider a longer bolt and hollow stand off like a sleeve. Would look better. Up to you ya. 0.050" is good.
I'm pretty sure most users that have done this add a "z plate" or something like that and then use one lip to bolt the plate down, and the other to go on top of the ignition coil,to keep it from coming out, and with a felt pad in between.
Thanks for ur help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts