Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of keys does teh Mazda6 have? Does it have integrated keyless function built into the key like the new Accords?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'What kind of keys?'

Mazda6 has an external keyless entry (remote). The key is a normal one with built-in transponder for the theft protection system (not the alarm, the one that kills the engine if the car is started without an original key).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

does that mean if one was to make a duplicate of the key, it wouldn't turn the car on? How many originals do you get...usually you get two i believe.

-yasir

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Correct. You would have to order a new key through your dealership. And yes you usually get two.

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Mazda normally give you three keys.

Two standard ones, and one "mech-shop" key. That one can't open the trunk, so you can leave the car to hotel personell or in a mechanical shop without first taking out all your belongings.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Mazda normally give you three keys.

Two standard ones, and one "mech-shop" key. That one can't open the trunk, so you can leave the car to hotel personell or in a mechanical shop without first taking out all your belongings.[/b]
So can you also lock the pass-through to limit access on the hatch with this key?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

We got two keys with the car. The keys really look kind of crappy... The grip looks like a rupperized house key or something... I love the newer VW-keys... Foldable and a little heavy... A realy qualiy feel.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You didn't get a third (garage) key? Oh, then they killed that one. Too bad, it was a great thing.:sarc

·
Registered
319 Posts

Those VW keys seem cool, but I'd pass. I do like the flip and everything, but I have some friends with those keys, and they have fallen apart. The little key ring is very prone to breaking, as they are if you ever drop one. Have fun buying a new one too, you're talking a couple hundred bucks.

Sometimes simple is nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Yep... the VW keys are fragile.

After a year of shaking around in your pockets, the plastic of the keyfob (is that the right word?) looks all scratched and used. As if it was 5 years old.

It also stops to look classy when the "keyless entry" part chooses to secede from the key as I've seen countless times...

One thing though, a key with grooves on its sides instead of teeth on the edges does look classy!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Rotule

One thing though, a key with grooves on its sides instead of teeth on the edges does look classy![/b]
Are you talking about keys like the Lexus? They are pretty cool.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Never saw a Lexus key up close so I am not sure...

The concept of the VW key is that it is thicker than a normal key. Normally, keys have straight grooves on their "sides" and teeth on their "edges" (sorry, I can't find better terms).

The VW key has a smooth flat edges. In addition, it has only one large groove on either side. That groove however, is not straight. It moves up and down along the key. So instead of using the edge of the key, the tumblers in the lock use the grooves on either side of the key.

Technically, I don't know whether this is better than any other system. However, it does look cool. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts

Oh, one more thing. The key is housed in the "remote control" which looks like a key sized plastic lump.

Now, when you press a button on the side of the remote, a spring pops the key out. Kind of like a jack knife. That's also pretty cool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'What kind of keys?'

Before I got my 6 (joy!) I test drove a new Toytoa Prius. Nice car. MUCH better the its predecessor. One interesting thing was that it had a combo key and fob. The key was normally just stowed inside the fob because you didn't need the key to operate the vehicle. When you appoach the car it notices the fob and prepares to unlock the door. You just press a button on the door handle and the door unlocks. That's no big deal and maybe not even better than the normal keyless entry.

The cool thing was that you didn't need to insert the key in the ignition to start the car. It still knew that the fob was present. You just hit a Start button to start the car and and you were ready to drive off. There was a little nook in the dash to keep the fob while you're driving, but it could as easily be in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Originally posted by AliAL

Correct. You would have to order a new key through your dealership.  And yes you usually get two.

Alan[/b]
The US models should get 3 keys.

The 03 NA models had a offset hole in the head of the key. The 04s have a key with a square haed. Both keys can be programmed using the procedure in my past posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts