Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to find out what aftermarket cone filters you guys have tried and had good luck with. I am looking to replace the air filter that came with my injen intake (it is kind of beat up and small compared to some of the other filters that I could put on the intake). I know a couple of you have tried the power stack filter from this website link but are there any other brands I should consider or is this my best bet?

·
Registered
232 Posts
K&N cone filters are good, I have always used them!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im using the one that came with the CP-E
[/b]
Well, I don't really have any complaints about the filter that came with the injen intake...it is just beat up and small. I am thinking I will go with a K & N filter. I haven't measured anything yet, but it sounds like a 3.5" diamter cone filter that is 6" or 7" long will work with the injen cai, is this correct? If so, does anyone by chance have a K & N part number that has those specs?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Well, I don't really have any complaints about the filter that came with the injen intake...it is just beat up and small. I am thinking I will go with a K & N filter. I haven't measured anything yet, but it sounds like a 3.5" diamter cone filter that is 6" or 7" long will work with the injen cai, is this correct? If so, does anyone by chance have a K & N part number that has those specs?
[/b]
You can probably go with any length you want, but I don't think the injen pipe is 3.5" diameter. I have the cp-e intake and it's only 3".

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can probably go with any length you want, but I don't think the injen pipe is 3.5" diameter. I have the cp-e intake and it's only 3".
[/b]
Hm...someone told me that is was 3.5".....does anyone know for sure so I don't have to go tear my car apart just to measure the intake opening?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm...someone told me that is was 3.5".....does anyone know for sure so I don't have to go tear my car apart just to measure the intake opening?
[/b]
Has anyone heard anything good/bad about True Flow air filters? I watched some interesting videos online about how K & N filters or can kind of surface filter for that matter is letting a lot of dirt into your engine. Check out these videos.....

video 1

video 2

I am tempted to just get a True Flow filter after watching those videos

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting video, video 1 is dead but 2 works.
I remember back in the day when http://www.greenfiltersusa.com/ came out. They said they could out flow a K&N filter. I even remember a video going around the Internet showing it.
Will look for the video.

well cant find the video.
[/b]
Yeah, I also remember greenfilters letting tons of dirt through. At this point I am leaning towards a True Flow filter but I am reluctant since dealers are hard to find and I can't seem to find a place that carries them online.

Here are some more things you might find interesting on green filters, k & N, etc...

link 1

link 2

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, I also remember greenfilters letting tons of dirt through. At this point I am leaning towards a True Flow filter but I am reluctant since dealers are hard to find and I can't seem to find a place that carries them online.

Here are some more things you might find interesting on green filters, k & N, etc...

link 1

link 2
[/b]
Im going to look around also and see if i can find one online.

Found one.
http://www.realtruck.com/ordering/orderper...ce.php#TrueFlow
Just click the Universal Fit to find the 3".

From looking at trueflows site they should look like this.

3" filter for$47.46 Wo/shipping (5.5"x 6.5")

3" inlet filter for $48.82 Wo/ Shipping (5.5 x 9")

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im going to look around also and see if i can find one online.

Found one.
http://www.realtruck.com/ordering/orderper...ce.php#TrueFlow
Just click the Universal Fit to find the 3".

From looking at trueflows site they should look like this.

3" filter for$47.46 Wo/shipping (5.5"x 6.5")

3" inlet filter for $48.82 Wo/ Shipping (5.5 x 9")
[/b]
Yeah, I actually e-mailed True Flow and that was one of the sites they gave me. I am going to order the larger filter (90206) today....

·
Registered
567 Posts
CPe comes with an AFE (Advanced Flow Engineering) filter. They are easily on par or better than K&N and many different intake companies use their filters, ranging from import intakes to bigger diesel pickup intakes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CPe comes with an AFE (Advanced Flow Engineering) filter. They are easily on par or better than K&N and many different intake companies use their filters, ranging from import intakes to bigger diesel pickup intakes.
[/b]
Yeah, but those are still gauze surface filters....after watching those True Flow videos it seems fair to say that surface filters might flow better but let a lot more dirt into your engine...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, but those are still gauze surface filters....after watching those True Flow videos it seems fair to say that surface filters might flow better but let a lot more dirt into your engine...
[/b]
Well, I ordered the True Flow filter today....i'll keep you updated on my opinion of the filter when I get it installed....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I ordered the True Flow filter today....i'll keep you updated on my opinion of the filter when I get it installed....
[/b]
Now i'm pissed....you guys yelled at me telling me to search before I posted about the size and I did...I thought the pipe was 3.5" where the filter connects and I was corrected and told that it was 3".....well, I have the filter off and it is 3.5" and the filter I have to replace the injen filter is 3"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just ordered my AEM Dryflow filter for the MAFci induction pipe. Part number 21-203DK, 3" inlet, 5" length.
[/b]
I can return it and that is what I am doing. Although, by stepping up to the 3.5" flange flter I am going to have one heck of a big filter in there, but I measured and it will fit. Air flow certainly won't be a problem with a 10.5" long cylindrical filter!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
bullion
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing