Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, reading through the interviews with the creators of the 6, on the mazdausa.com website, I've garnered the following.

1.The v6 that is in the Mazda 6 is the Ford engine used in the Tribute.

2. The 6 hatchback will definitely be released in Europe. Whether it comes to the US or not isn't confirmed, but if they're talking about it, that could be good.

3. The car is front wheel drive

4. The center console of the dashboard will have storage spaces, and be shaped like a "T", even though the drivetrain is there, there is still some space available.

5. The suspension was built around BMW, i.e. they tried to emulate the driving style there. Affordable European. I felt that this was pretty honest of them to admit that BMWs drove the best, and the fact that they sought to make a Japanese BMW of sorts was pretty frank and a notable goal. Though I think BMWs are very underpowered.

6. The 4 cylinder is a thoroughly Japanese creation which will probably find its way into the protoge and maybe small Fords.

7. Handling was based around the BMW 3 series, and to a lesser extent Audi (probably A4).

8. There will be a double wishbone front suspension used. (Awesome!)

9. E-type multi-link suspension used in the RWD Luce. Unknown what the Luce is, probably a Japanese domestic model.

10. The seats will have a metal frame and a urethane cushion.

11. There will be a brake pedal back-thrust system for safety in crashes.

12. Engines are LEV, not ULEV like most Honda cars.

13. Fuel tanks have no lead in them.

14. The car will be able to fit 95 percent of the population in the US and Europe, 98 percent in Japan. That means the fattest and tallest people will be screwed.

15. Cargo capacity will be 4 golf bags, plus some small other bags.

Conclusion: It looks like a winner so far. My chief worries will be that the v6 coming from Ford, will be the weak end of the car. Ford engines just don't last as long as other companies, especially Japanese companies. I hope that Mazda tweaked it to make it more durable, but somehow I doubt it. When the car comes out, it will probably be the engine I buy as well, since it is the larger one.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
1. The block is the 3.0 liter Duratec. Mazda is adding their S-VT (variable valve timing) system as well as some other changes to improve NVH and reliability.
2. Mazda has since confirmed that both the hatchback and wagon will be sold in the US.
3. The car is front wheel drive, but the platform is AWD ready. They plan to release an MPS version with AWD and a turbo version of the I-4. Other AWD plans are tentative at best.
4. There are two full size cupholders by the e-brake.
5. From the reviews at the European release, everyone is very impressed with the handling.
11. All pedals are collapsible in a crash.
12. The I-4 is rated for ULEV status. Not sure about the V-6
14. Bummer for the big and tall...maybe the big and tall clothing stores could start selling special cars. :p
15. Sedan has a 17 liter trunk. Use of the E-type suspension and strut supports for the trunk that are outside of the door make for a very roomy trunk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Turbo???

Whats this i hear about a turbo?? I wanna know more!! Any idea on the specifications and all that? Anything?! I think im drooling here! :sarc

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
MazdaSpeed

As part of their overall plan to win the hearts of automotive enthusiasts, Mazda will introduce performance versions of nearly their entire lineup. This will be done by inhouse tuning division MazdaSpeed and will be known as the Mazda Performance Series, or MPS. The first of these is due any week now - the MPS Protege.
I have heard that there may be several MPS versions of the 6, culminating in an AWD 280ps twin turbo 2.3l I-4. Keep your mitts off, that's my car. :D
This will be followed by the first factory turboed Miata.
Although this is all speculation at this point, the fact that Mazda now has a MazdaSpeed section on their website, with hints about most of this is encouraging, if not drool worthy.
[Homermode] hmmm, tuuurboooo, hraaagghhh [/Homermode]

·
Registered
56 Posts
MPS

Just out of curiosity...where do u get this information? I cant control the drool coming out of my mouth. Its getting really bad!

Are these MPS models real expensive? Is the MP3 an MPS?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I think Mazda is going to change the name of their high end collection of cars from MPS to Mazdaspeed, hense the naming of the new Protege. If you want more information regarding their MPS 626, check out the image gallery, or go here: http://www.mazdaatenza.com/images/626MPS.html

I guess the MP3 could be considered a MPS, but it lacked in some serious power, and I guess thats why Mazda is releasing the new Mazdaspeed model with a Turbo and LSD (limited slip diff).

Mazda is really going in the right way, but I must admit I don't like how they favor those down south (states) compared to us up here in Canada.

What I mean by this, is when they released the MP3, they made 1500. 250 for Canada, and 1250 for the States. Also all those in the states were yellow and blue, Canada only got blue.

With the Mazdaspeed Protege release, they are making only 2000 (MAY change) and again only 250 are coming to Canada. What is pretty brutal is that the 250 are all the ORANGE color, and the 1750 that are going to the states are getting Orange and Black (which in my opinion looks damn shweet); infact, here is a picture of the black Mazdaspeed Protege:

So I guess my only complaint is the lack of release of these vehicles. Yeah I fully understand its better this way, makes em limited and such, but I think they need to release a little more (look at the '96 Impala SS, only made around 40,000 and yet you still rarely see them on the roads). I think if they made at least 10,000 and gave maybe 2000 up here to Canada (I understand the difference in population from the States compared to Canada)... that would be better.. and in all colors...

pardon my rant... :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mazdaspeed Protege

What are the specs on this car? HP/Torque? When is it coming out? Any more pics? whats it look like in orange?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
MazdaSpeed

I had forgotten that they changed the name MazdaSpeed Protege. So I guess MazdaSpeed 6? I checked out the gallery of the MPS 626. Nice!! :D :D I don't care for the huge wing; I like the standard wing on the hatchback better, but of course this was back in 2000 right? I like the aggressive wheel arches, hood vents, and the fog lights. It was a nice preview of some of the things they were thinking about for the 6. Hopefully the first MazdaSpeed 6 will come next fall, but more likely next spring or even later. :(
Oh well, more time to save money I guess. :sarc

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts

Engine Info

-Type 2.0L DOHC 16-valve in-Line 4-cylinder, turbocharged and intercooled
-Turbocharger Fully engineered boosting system powered by a Garrett T25
-Intercooler Factory air-to-air cooler air intake
-Displacement (cc) 1991 cc/121.4 cu. in.
-Compression Ratio 9.1:1
-Horsepower (SAE hp @ rpm) [email protected] 5500 rpm - estimated
-Torque (SAE lb-ft @ rpm) 155 lb-ft @4500 rpm - estimated

Final figures for the engine haven't been released, but they will be shortly. If the Turbo is only giving a extra 30 hp (the previous MP3 had 140hp); thats not much of a increase. I'm sure with a boost timer, you could easily increase that...

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Originally posted by kenoka
I don't care for the huge wing; I like the standard wing on the hatchback better, but of course this was back in 2000 right?  I like the aggressive wheel arches, hood vents, and the fog lights.  It was a nice preview of some of the things they were thinking about for the 6.  Hopefully the first MazdaSpeed 6 will come next fall, but more likely next spring or even later. :(  
Oh well, more time to save money I guess. :sarc[/b]
Yeah I wasn't very impressed with the big wing, but everything else.... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts