Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under tho oil cap what is this thing with the wire. It started leaking after we change the valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
@Mazdapower ... not likely. The seals get brittle with heat and once disturbed (by removing the valve cover) they rarely seal anymore.

The solutions posted above by @DrFeelGood are your best solution at this point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do the oil control valve gaskets go on? There are 2 identical gaskets. ? What side goes up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know the dimensions of this seal? All the website says is shaft diameter of 28mm. With shipping this seal is almost $20.
Is this the same size seal for a 2006 2.3L? The valve cover in the photo looks like an earlier engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why wouldn't black RTV work in this application? You would simply need to let it vulcanize over 24 hours before running the motor and you would be fine for such a small seal.

Have done many transmission or oil pans with RTV as the primary leak-stopper as the pre-1960's cars used tin pans with cork gaskets that seal exactly as well as you're thinking cork would seal after a few heat cycles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what I can find on this seal, it's 28mm ID, 40mm OD and 8mm thick. You can put those measurement into ebay and there are gobs of them for way cheaper.

·
Rally Racer
2,365 Posts
How do the oil control valve gaskets go on? There are 2 identical gaskets. ? What side goes up
I would refer to the picture to see orientation.
Does anyone know the dimensions of this seal? All the website says is shaft diameter of 28mm. With shipping this seal is almost $20.
Is this the same size seal for a 2006 2.3L? The valve cover in the photo looks like an earlier engine.
I linked the seal in my post #2 above. I ordered mine after researching a picture of an original seal that had a part number on it when enlarged.
Mazda 6 OCV seal Misumi AE1538E5.jpg

This is @CanyonRider write-up on replacing the seal, with pictures and a part number.
Mazda 6 OCV seal Napa 10930.jpg

This is The GreatNY write-up from 6crew.

Some images from andrew777 on 6crew
Mazda 6 OCV seal _ Timken 222820.jpg Mazda 6 OCV seal 01 _ Timken 222820.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts