Mazda 6 Forums banner

What is the Mazda 6s Demographic?

13K views 57 replies 44 participants last post by  jvbarnes 
#1 ·
So I am kinda torn now... I found out that I can get a Mustang GT for acutally less than a Mazda 6 loaded... yeah, yeah I know the insurance is higher...

I was just wondering how old and how much money a year do you think a Mazda 6s driver is/makes?

One of my peeves in life are people who drive cars that are iether to expensive for them or to old/young for i.e. and 21 year olds drivng BMW's and a 60 year old driving (fill in car of choice :D)

http://www.dafey.com

#2 ·
Reading Topic: What is the Mazda 6s Demographic?

If you're concerned about demographics, why aren't you worried about being considered a "typical mustang driver?" :)

No offense to well-mannered Mustang owners, but I'd not like to be associated with that stereotype myself...

-Alt

PS, Mazda feels that the average '6 buyer will be male, single, in his mid to late 30's, and will be bringing home around $75k a year. Seems steep to me for this price point.

#3 ·

Gee I've stuffed mazda's demographics.

I just about Double on all their counts

The second wife doesnt think too much of this 70 yr old mega rich git getting around in his M6... lol

ps who really cares ? just buy em & drive em

#5 ·

*Ruefus steps on his soapbox*

Not to be intentionally rude and perhaps I'm over-reacting, but who cares what the target 'demographic' is? People shouldn't drive expensive cars 'cause they're too young. Damn shallow point of view. A twinge of jealousy? Sorry - that's how it comes across.

My God man, you're spending ~$25,000 of money you earned. Who gives a rats hairy a$$ what anyone else thinks? 'Tis nobody's friggin' business but mine.

I had a friend tell me I've got 'too much disposable income.' Heh. I thought it was called being successful. 'Scuse me for not wanting to drive a Chevette after earning a degree and spending 12 years in the business trenches.

Do you want the car or not? That's the only question you need to answer. If somebody doesn't like it or thinks you don't 'fit' screw 'em.

*Ruefus steps OFF his soapbox*

Rant over.

#10 ·

HaHa, In my neighborhood High School kids work 2 jobs to lease the cars they want

Or somehow get their folks to drive chevettes so they can rid in Beemers Reufus, not sure where your from Ruefus, but my view isn't shallow, its true to my locale, maybe it just doesn't happen where your at anyone else agree?

#12 ·
Replying to Topic 'What is the Mazda 6s Demographic?'

Originally posted by Altersys

PS, Mazda feels that the average '6 buyer will be male, single, in his mid to late 30's, and will be bringing home around $75k a year.  Seems steep to me for this price point.[/b]
$75k!? wow that is steep.....puts me Waaaaay under the bar LOL

:wtf

#15 ·

Originally posted by applejax

Altersys,  

Where did you obtain that data?  

The '6 is not designed for a specific age group.  It is designed for a specific type of driver, whether thay are 20, 35, or 72.[/b]
From Mazda USA's Fuel magazine: Vol 1, Issue 2, page 21, "Bull's-Eye!". It is publication intended for Mazda dealers but mine accidentally gave me a copy. There is an article precisely about Mazda's "target buyer" and that's where I got that information. I don't necessarily agree with their demographic predictions; I was just answering the question.

-Alt

#17 ·

Im 21 years old and bough a brand new 6 myself...The 6 is almost a hybrid of sort -- meaning that will will appeal to a much wider demographic than an accord or civic. Here's why..

1) Its a sedan (Currently sedan model in US). Because it has 4 doors means that it will appeal to a family setting, those people that are just starting a family or those that are adding any new additions.

2) It's very sporty -- This sporty look will appeal to the younger crowd. This crowd is into the sporty, ricer look of a car and is only worried about what mods will be available. This crowd will be late teens to mid 20's. And being that Mazda is now getting into the Mazdaspeed versions of their cars means there will be alot of available parts and modifications in the near future.

Feel free to flame.. but this is just what I see. I bought the car for the simple reason that it was very sporty looking, it was a blast to drive, and it was something new and different. I still love getting stares from people who wonder what kind of car it is. It's a feeling like nothing else.

_Abs

#18 ·
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: What is the Mazda 6s Demographic?

"Taking different approach
Mazda has an interesting experiment going on in this bread-and-butter segment, where buyers of Accords and Camrys, at least, tend to have a median age in their mid to late 40s and already be married.
The majority also are women, but hey, Mazda wants to change all this and is looking for men, many of them single, to make up 60 percent of 6 buyers."

http://autos.msn.com/vip/job.aspx?modelid=...d=10684&src=vip

#19 ·

I LUV THIS THREAD... The more emotion the better .....

We all know opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one ...so here is my 2 cents worth

GO RUEFUS the bestest soapbox rant for a while, agree with it all .... well said (pause.... draw breath.... relax !)

I love to see young successful kids ride in beemers, mercs anything at all .... who gives a toss, as long as they do it off their own bat ie not financed (indulged) by dopey parents who never teach them a work ethic.

U work those 2 jobs and ride in your choice of car i luv to hear that too
Lifes just way too short to adopt the "tall poppy syndrome"
Let the successful show off & let us "old farts" (30 something + dog, kids, wife etc etc) drive our 6's before we need the frame

#20 ·

I am in sales and in my department of 10 people, we have 4 who are planning to replace their vehicles within the next 6 months. One is a 55 yr old grandmother, two others are 48 year old men with teenage children and the one is a 40 year old with two children. Currently, they drive an Accord, a Buick Century, a Pontiac Grand Prix and a Saab 93. All of them have the M6 at the top of their list.

#21 ·

I say, "the hell with demographics!", and buy what you like. I'm 55, and I'm not supposed to be a Mazda 6s owner? Well, I just sold my 93 Porsche 968, and replaced it with a 6s in May, 03.

When I start driving a Buick, put me six feet under please. I am a little tired of having to practically crawl to get into a sports car, and the 6s gives me the fun of driving that I enjoyed with my Porsche, but the reliability of a Japanese car. Everything with my Porsche cost big $$$.

Regards, Eightball

#22 ·

I think they are targeting people who can shell out $19G to $26G for a very nice car...

:D
dont think too much about this guys (and ladies).... do you think your spouse has a targeted demographic? maybe at one point they were interested in brad pitt or Brooke Burke .. (mmmmmmmmm)... but the truth is, you like what you like...

just my $.02

--Trainin

#23 ·

I'm right in Mazda's target demographic. Single, mid-thirties male, with a decent salary. I wouldn't care if someone my Dad's age is driving this car, or if a teenager is...6 owners are unique and members of a "special club", unlike Accord and Camry owners who are conformists! BTW, I owned an Accord before and the 6 blows it away! As long as this car stays trouble free, I'll continue supporting Mazda. ZZZooom ZZZooom!!!

#24 ·

Originally posted by Altersys

PS, Mazda feels that the average '6 buyer will be male, single, in his mid to late 30's, and will be bringing home around $75k a year.  Seems steep to me for this price point.[/b]
hmm... well i'm female, 25 and i work for people who write $75K in checks a month... do i qualify :D :p

#26 ·

DAMMMMM!! homies,I'm 46 and look even older than 46. probably one of the most shallowest s.o.b."s around! I bought the 6 for one reason only, the potential for it to be a chick magnet.The only performance I'm concerned about is last nite in the sack.Performance of my 6 concerns me not. Jus the looks concern me. The looks of my 6, and also ,the looks of that hot chick I got my eye on and wondering what she'll make me for breakfast. Peace

Just kiddin around people dont get too bent outta shape
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehee!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.