Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm at 38k miles, with ATX. Only the current 3 hatch has an option of MTX with the turbo and preferred packages in the US. The sedan w/turbo doesn't even offer it. I suspect that even the hatch will probably lose the MTX option sooner than later also.

Within 20 years, I suspect the majority (if not all) of the new vehicles offered will be electric, and I highly doubt they'll even try to engineer an MTX for one, let alone actually offer it for sale...
I think you mean without the turbo..
Isn't it just the GT trim, FWD hatch in the US that can have the 6MT? Not the AWD and/or the Turbo?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
...Which dealership do you go to? I've been using metrotown since I arrived here, but their aggressive upselling is getting tiresome. Not too many other options here unfortunately, at least compared to the GTA.
NO dealership... Car has not been back to selling dealer Freeway Mazda, Surrey, since it's sale in late Feb. 2017, nor for that matter to any other mechanic. Simply have been buying oil, oil filters, air filter from them at 6 mo. intervals as a "goodwill" gesture. I'm the only one who wrenches on my car. If I brought the car to them they'd do the TPMS upgrade which'd make that system a PITA. As it is, I'm currently driving the same car I test-drove, not one that has had software "upgrades" (with unintended consequences). At the same time I do monitor for any substantial reflash rollouts that'd materially affect the safety of the car.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,559 Posts
I think you mean without the turbo..
Isn't it just the GT trim, FWD hatch in the US that can have the 6MT? Not the AWD and/or the Turbo?
You are correct. GT is gone for '21, it's now, from lowest to highest model, the S (or Sport), Select, Preferred, Premium, 2.5 Turbo, and (finally!) 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus. The MTX is available on the Premium only.

Geez, 6 different models? Long gone are the days where you either chose the I or S, then added options to them...

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
321 Posts
Very true! I always wondered why Mazda didn't offer the GT mtx to the larger US market. Maybe this is one reason why the manual transmission is dead on the current 6, because buyers couldn't get the options they wanted paired with a mtx so they opted for the atx instead :confused:

Nice to see another 6 mtx driver in vancouver. How's your 6 holding up? Which dealership do you go to? I've been using metrotown since I arrived here, but their aggressive upselling is getting tiresome. Not too many other options here unfortunately, at least compared to the GTA.
Tell me about it, service 2 every 18-24 months or so is a waste of money for $300.
Heck, regular oil changes are now $110.00 which includes tire rotation/car wash etc., always get dinged for shop fees with no specifics.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just to add this, although I don't know how reliable the news is:

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You are correct. GT is gone for '21, it's now, from lowest to highest model, the S (or Sport), Select, Preferred, Premium, 2.5 Turbo, and (finally!) 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus. The MTX is available on the Premium only.
I thought the manual transmission is no longer offered on the 6 (since 2019)?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I thought the manual transmission is no longer offered on the 6 (since 2019)?
He's referring to the Mazda3 line, not the 6. For the 6, the last year of a manual was 2018 in the 'States (in only the bottom trim-line, i.e. the "Sport")... but the last year here in Canada was '17.

·
Registered
2016 6
285 Posts
Let’s get it all straight lol:
Mazda6 - No longer offered manual after 2018 (US) / 2017 (CA)
Mazda3 - continues to offer a manual transmission but only in the base fwd only model

Supposedly next year there will be a new rear wheel bias platform that both the redesigned cx-5 and 6 will use. Again supposedly it will offer both rwd and awd options as well as a a new power plant in the form of a 3.0 L inline 6 possibly turbo. I’m sure the 2.5 L will also continue to be a cheaper option available in the models but with all the rumors about the rotary going on as well I’m very excited for what Mazda’s future has in store.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mazda3 - continues to offer a manual transmission but only in the base fwd only model
I don't think "base" fwd version... but several steps above base... and hatchback only - no sedan.

Not so in Canada. Some base sedans have 6mt i believe (though I haven't looked really lately).

·
Registered
2016 6
285 Posts
I don't think "base" fwd version... but several steps above base... and hatchback only - no sedan.

Not so in Canada. Some base sedans have 6mt i believe (though I haven't looked really lately).
Well yes it's not really the "base" model but it does miss out on some of the extras. And again yes only the hatch, shoulda mentioned that.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Supposedly next year there will be a new rear wheel bias platform that both the redesigned cx-5 and 6 will use. Again supposedly it will offer both rwd and awd options as well as a a new power plant in the form of a 3.0 L inline 6 possibly turbo. I’m sure the 2.5 L will also continue to be a cheaper option available in the models but with all the rumors about the rotary going on as well I’m very excited for what Mazda’s future has in store.
Probably at the earliest fall 2023, COVID and Mazda makes early news and takes a really long time for the new release to arrive such as diesel/skyactiv-X.

·
Registered
2016 6
285 Posts
Probably at the earliest fall 2023, COVID and Mazda makes early news and takes a really long time for the new release to arrive such as diesel/skyactiv-X.
I agree, with all the current factors I believe it will be tough for Mazda to reach it’s so called “deadline”. I do think it’s possible we see some of the new vehicles in the 3rd or 4th qtr of 2022 but very slim chance since Mazda’s a smaller company.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts