Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 is a 2014 GT manual transmission that I bought new in April 2013. So a couple more months I'll hit 8 years, but have only 65000 km on it (40K mi). Runs like new, zero issues, no rust despite salty winters in Toronto for 7 yrs (currently in Vancouver which has milder winters). The front brake pads were changed for the first time 1 year ago, still on original rear pads. Original tires were changed 2 years ago. I still have the original battery, which the dealership has advised needs immediate replacing though the engine fires right up like new (they load tested it at 309 CCA out of rated 463 CCA).

Are your 3rd gens (from the 2013 batch) running strong? Should I be expecting some sudden issues when I hit 9 or 10 years? Apparently the average life expectancy of a car is around 11-12 years. When the time comes for my next car, I'm guessing I'll have no choice but to get an automatic transmission. I have no interest in the current 6 since it does not offer a manual transmission. Sad.

·
Super Moderator
17,752 Posts
Just passed 8 years with my 6 and I'm at 176k miles. Live above the rust belt and the car is running beautifully. I fully expect things to rust to pieces before the engine gives out.

Tickerguy is well into the 200k mile range and has had zero issues. I know of at least 2 other people around the same as us and haven't heard a peep.

Expect this car to last a while. If you're ever curious, you could always send your oil to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed - they'll tell you how things are looking for the longevity of your engine. From what I've seen on my reports and ticker's so far, proper care and maintenance and you'll have this car for many more years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
While I don’t have direct experience I will say this. Take care of it and it will take care of you. The 2.5 skyactiv engines have proven to be quite reliable with very few issues. I am a believer of following the recommended maintenance in the owners manual. The engineers who designed and built these cars know what they’re doing. So with that, frequent oil changes, and keeping up on maintenance items and fluids, like spark plugs, coolant, air filters per the manuals recommendation will keep your car running in optimal condition for a very long time.

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
As a service tech at mazda I see mainly 3rd gens and I have seen quite a few get into the 200k range very easily with no major component issues. Just had a cx-5 yesterday with 216k and the thing looked brand new underneath simply cuz the owner took care of it. The only issues I could see popping up would be electrical/software issues although the 13s don't have the crazy infotainment systems so that really shouldn't be an issue. Obviously suspension parts are usually a preference thing for the average driver so most people haven't even had any of the suspension changed at that mileage. These skyactives are quite the reliable package.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Several weeks ago, when I had my transmission fluid change, I saw this CX-7.

The technician told me that they replaced it's engine. I asked him why and what happened. He told me that the owner didn't replace the engine oil. They opened the engine and every part is sticky and gummy, etc., etc., etc.

I was so amused by the story and wanted to know how long it took before the demise of the engine.

It's unbelievable! Eight years!! Yes, eight years and not eight months!!!

That story gave me confidence with the way I abuse my car.

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts
Several weeks ago, when I had my transmission fluid change, I saw this CX-7.

The technician told me that they replaced it's engine. I asked him why and what happened. He told me that the owner didn't replace the engine oil. They opened the engine and every part is sticky and gummy, etc., etc., etc.

I was so amused by the story and wanted to know how long it took before the demise of the engine.

It's unbelievable! Eight years!! Yes, eight years and not eight months!!!

That story gave me confidence with the way I abuse my car.
... so you’re telling me they didn’t change the oil...for 8 freakin years?!? In a CX-7 of all of the cars too like wtf lol. Btw cx-7s are the worst car mazda has ever created.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
... so you’re telling me they didn’t change the oil...for 8 freakin years?!? In a CX-7 of all of the cars too like wtf lol. Btw cx-7s are the worst car mazda has ever created.
As I've said, it's unbelievable! I wanted to hear the same story to another guy just to confirm that it was eight years. And by the way, speaking of worst car, the CX-7 is no longer sold in our place. Now I know why.

I would like to add that, that will be the so called "lifetime fluid".

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a service tech at mazda I see mainly 3rd gens and I have seen quite a few get into the 200k range very easily with no major component issues. Just had a cx-5 yesterday with 216k and the thing looked brand new underneath simply cuz the owner took care of it. The only issues I could see popping up would be electrical/software issues although the 13s don't have the crazy infotainment systems so that really shouldn't be an issue. Obviously suspension parts are usually a preference thing for the average driver so most people haven't even had any of the suspension changed at that mileage. These skyactives are quite the reliable package.
Wow 200K miles! That gives me a lot of confidence given my measly 40K miles.

Do you think my 8 yr old battery should be replaced? Tested at 309 CCA. Is it a matter of 'dont fix if it aint broke', or should i proactively replace it to avoid being stranded one day?

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I've said, it's unbelievable! I wanted to hear the same story to another guy just to confirm that it was eight years. And by the way, speaking of worst car, the CX-7 is no longer sold in our place. Now I know why.

I would like to add that, that will be the so called "lifetime fluid".
It's shocking that the engine survived 8 yrs of no oil changes!! o_O It's been 5 months (and 2000 km) since my last oil change, and I already feel guilty!

·
Registered
2016 6
297 Posts

Do you think my 8 yr old battery should be replaced? Tested at 309 CCA. Is it a matter of 'dont fix if it aint broke', or should i proactively replace it to avoid being stranded one day?
Honestly I would change it just to be safe especially in these colder months. Another thing to remember is that batterys don’t just lose their “charge” over time, they also lose the ability to be charged. So although the battery may have decent cca the alternator may not be charging the battery as effectively as needed but again it all depends on the persons preference and their wallet in all reality.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

If you don't want to replace the battery and wait for it to die, you can buy a JumpStart battery instead. If let's say you stopped at a shop to buy something, then the car won't start, or one morning and the car won't start, you just connect it in parallel and then start the car. That means, you have depleted the life of the battery up to the last drop. And that also means, you now need a new battery.

Please note that the price of the JumpStart battery kit could be almost the same price of a new battery. But hey! You are buying peace of mind.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That means, you have depleted the life of the battery up to the last drop. And that also means, you now need a new battery.
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where the dream goal was to coast into the gas station just as the car shuts off from running out of gas :LOL: Thanks for the tip about the jump starter!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,560 Posts
I'm expecting my '18 to run as long as I want it to. Whether I decide to keep it for a decade, or (gasp!) get bored with it and decide to move on.

This is my 3rd Mazda6. IIRC, I got over 100k miles easily on my last 2 (a 2004 V6 w/MTX and a 2010 V6 GT), only having to repair damage from hitting a deer with my '04, and replacing the BOSE amp on the GT. Mechanically, not a single issue other than maintenance items. After owning a few Pontiacs, an Altima, and a Chevy S10, the 6 has been the most reliable cars I've owned BY FAR!

Hell, even Consumer Reports has them ranked #1, and given how they've brown-nosed Honda and Toyota for decades, that's no small feat!

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is my 3rd Mazda6. IIRC, I got over 100k miles easily on my last 2 (a 2004 V6 w/MTX and a 2010 V6 GT), only having to repair damage from hitting a deer with my '04, and replacing the BOSE amp on the GT. Mechanically, not a single issue other than maintenance items. After owning a few Pontiacs, an Altima, and a Chevy S10, the 6 has been the most reliable cars I've owned BY FAR!

Hell, even Consumer Reports has them ranked #1, and given how they've brown-nosed Honda and Toyota for decades, that's no small feat!
Nice! This is also my 3rd Mazda (2004 Mazda 6 & 2011 Mazda 3). What's the mileage on your current one and is it a manual transmission?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My 6 is a 2014 GT manual transmission that I bought new in April 2013. So a couple more months I'll hit 8 years, but have only 65000 km on it (40K mi). Runs like new, zero issues, no rust despite salty winters in Toronto for 7 yrs (currently in Vancouver which has milder winters). The front brake pads were changed for the first time 1 year ago, still on original rear pads. Original tires were changed 2 years ago. I still have the original battery, which the dealership has advised needs immediate replacing though the engine fires right up like new (they load tested it at 309 CCA out of rated 463 CCA).

Are your 3rd gens (from the 2013 batch) running strong? Should I be expecting some sudden issues when I hit 9 or 10 years? Apparently the average life expectancy of a car is around 11-12 years. When the time comes for my next car, I'm guessing I'll have no choice but to get an automatic transmission. I have no interest in the current 6 since it does not offer a manual transmission. Sad.
Venomxjr - the fact that you have a GT in 6MT should make many of our US cousins envious 'cuz they only ever got GS (~ "Touring") trim max - in 6MT... never GT trim.

Good to hear that despite 7 years in GTA winters, no rust!

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Venomxjr - the fact that you have a GT in 6MT should make many of our US cousins envious 'cuz they only ever got GS (~ "Touring") trim max - in 6MT... never GT trim.

Very true! I always wondered why Mazda didn't offer the GT mtx to the larger US market. Maybe this is one reason why the manual transmission is dead on the current 6, because buyers couldn't get the options they wanted paired with a mtx so they opted for the atx instead :confused:

Nice to see another 6 mtx driver in vancouver. How's your 6 holding up? Which dealership do you go to? I've been using metrotown since I arrived here, but their aggressive upselling is getting tiresome. Not too many other options here unfortunately, at least compared to the GTA.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,560 Posts
Nice! This is also my 3rd Mazda (2004 Mazda 6 & 2011 Mazda 3). What's the mileage on your current one and is it a manual transmission?
I'm at 38k miles, with ATX.

Only the current 3 hatch has an option of MTX with the turbo and preferred packages in the US. The sedan w/turbo doesn't even offer it. I suspect that even the hatch will probably lose the MTX option sooner than later also.

Within 20 years, I suspect the majority (if not all) of the new vehicles offered will be electric, and I highly doubt they'll even try to engineer an MTX for one, let alone actually offer it for sale...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts