Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Delphi RoadyXT sat. radio and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. What's the best way to add this to the stock Bose system? I know these cars come pre-wired for Sirius factory-addon, so there must be a low-level input somewhere. Does anyone know where the input is?

I could run the XT wirelessly, and might to begin with but would like to get it hard wired for best sound quality.

Also, where's the best way to mount the antenna? I'm a little concerned to pull back the A-pillar covers for fear of interfering with the airbags. Any suggs?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you search, there are actually quite a few threads on this. so far as inputting the audio signal only, there are a couple of options: AuxMod, AudioLink, wired FM Modulator, etc.

for the antenna, i mounted mine on the trunk lid, but several members have bought the sharkfin antenna & mounted the SAT antenna underneath. i decided against that option for signal concerns (i live in the sticks with no ground repeaters). i would advise against putting it on the roof in the front for appearence reasons.

i stuck with the trunk lid, it was easy to install and the looks are more than acceptable.

you'll be happy with the Roady XT. i used one for a couple of months before upgrading to the Samsung Helix. it's got good quality at a low price point. i run one Helix in my speed6 through the AudioLink-USB & one through the wired FM Modulator in my other M6s. so far as sound quality, it's pretty hard to tell the difference. the AL also provides mp3 player if you provide the music source, like usb HDD or flash drive.

therpmstore.com offers the AL with a discount to club members, look under the group buy section.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I got the RoadyXT as well. This is how I wired mine. I don't have any pictures but I'll be as descriptive as I can. I am not too sure about the 06's, but for my 04 there is no low level input. I had to use the AuxMod as the input. To do that you have to take apart your center console and radio unit and plug in the Auxmod. I'll just speak to the wiring of the antenna and RoadyXT. This will make your wiring completely hidden.

I mounted the antenna right next to the stock antenna towards the back of the roof. I tucked the wiring underneath the rubber garment that runs around the rear windshield. Just get a needle nose plier to put it up, then stuff it in with a screwdriver. I ran it down the passenger side btw.

When I got to the bottom of the rear windshield, I took of the outer rear lamp unit and pulled back the side covering of the inside trunk. I pulled the line through until it is towards the back of the rear seats. I go to the back passenger seats and pop down the back seat. Pull the line from the trunk into the cabin area. Once you have done that, just stuff the line along the backs of the seat towards the rear passenger door. Once it's at the passenger door, you can stuff the line underneath either the plastic scuff plates or somewhere. I can't remember how I did mine at that part. Do that and work your way towards the front passenger side.

Once you get to the front passenger side, disconnect the glove compartment door. Pull the line through into the open glove compartment area from the right most side first, making sure the wiring is still hidden. From this point, I just pull it right across into the opening where your radio unit used to be (after you have pulled that out). I have my RoadyXT in that little map compartment. I drilled a hole large enough to accommondate the antenna connector. I pulled the line through the hole, including the auxilary connector from the AuxMod and the power source through the same hold. I wish I have pictures but I don't. Once you get the radio unit out and open, it is much easier to visualize what you need to do. G'luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the same thing...I ran my atenna down the rear window and through the truck, poped down the seats and ran it under the seat and up through the center arm rest. There is plenty of room to tuck extra wire under the center armrest to keep it looking clean.

I just installed the Audiolink last night and love it!!!! I highly suggest it.

Donny over at RPM is great to do business with and is quick with any questions you have.

T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the same thing...I ran my atenna down the rear window and through the truck, poped down the seats and ran it under the seat and up through the center arm rest. There is plenty of room to tuck extra wire under the center armrest to keep it looking clean.

I just installed the Audiolink last night and love it!!!! I highly suggest it.

Donny over at RPM is great to do business with and is quick with any questions you have.

T
[/b]
What about leakage? I'm not too crazy about pulling the window moulding on a brand new car and breaking any seals, etc. for the antenna. What about just putting the antenna on the rear deck inside the car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type of results have people had with mounting the antenna inside the car, such as on the rear deck? I'd rather not have it outside the car. I don't mind if I lose signal occasionally. I want a nice clean install and am not keen on pulling up window mouldings for fear of creating a leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts