Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched on Amazon and pretty much all phone holders have some bad reviews or pictures of them snapping, breaking after a few months. First, you have the air vents holders, most, if not all of them have some bad reviews or pics of the thing breaking. Then, you have the cup suction holders which you mount on the dash or window, they also have bad reviews on ruining the dash or window.

Pretty much, every phone holder on Amazon has some bad reviews and pictures to prove it. This is why I've never bought one yet. The air vent one seem the safer bet, but with those bad reviews and pics, all it takes is one part to break and it won't hold to the air vent anymore.

I've pretty much read reviews and information on every single car phone holder on Amazon and there isn't one that I can say that I would buy with peace of mind, knowing it will work or won't break.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Pro clip is my holder of choice. You get one that matches your phone and set it to fit with a case. Once set, the phone slides out very easy but is firmly held. It will also require a mounting pad. I did mine in my 1st gen using a panavise metal mount. I like it better, but I chose to use the pro clip mounting bracket in the mazda 3 we have as it was what was available. It's a supreme solution and is completely reversable if you chose to remove it from the car, but has a more integrated look. Check them out...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I originally purchased the Teslan magnetic mount on Amazon for my wife's car based on another forum member's recommendation. Liked it so much I purchased another one for my car. I have an iPhone 6S in an Otter Box case and it works well.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Clamp-N-Grip-Smartphones-Low-Profile-Magnet-Lock-Technology/dp/B01HIRQLNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509885481&sr=8-1&keywords=teslan[/ame]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I have a Scosche clamp-style that goes on the AC vent. It's the same one that I have used in my Jetta, it has served me well, and I wore out the foam pads on the side originally so I bought a second one.

No issues with it breaking or otherwise having problems....

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've already got several RAM mount products on my motorcycle and I'm a fan of their X-Grip phone holder. To use it in my car I needed their suction cup mount. It mounts solidly and quickly - I've never had an issue with it falling off. The x-grip works with my wife's iPhone 6 + with Otterbox and my LG G4 with otterbox. The phone mount holds my phone solid on my sportbike at extra legal speeds with no issues.

Cons are it is a little pricey, but it is universally applicable to anything I ride or drive. Also, the suction cup does leave a ring on your windshield when you remove it. If it bothers me enough I just wipe it off with a microfiber towel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you don't use your CD player much, the iOttie holder works very well. It clamps into the CD slot and is very sturdy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
AirDock 2.0

If you have a wireless charging (Qi) phone the airdock is the way to go for the 3rd gen.

The Air Dock - The Charging Dock for your Smartphone

Once it's initially set up there's no cords to deal with and all you do is place your device on the dock and it sticks (nothing clamping down on it or anything to push to release it).

I learned about it years ago on this forum...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/298569-sweet-wireless-charger.html

If your device isn't compatible I feel the best is something like...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNSIHCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Which I have since my new phone isn't Qi compatible. I place it on the driver's side of the center stack on my 2015, down by my right leg, and the arm comes up to where the phone is just to the left of the clock. It's perfect. Not in front of a vent (the worst idea if you ever want to use your heater, nothing kills electronics faster than heat), I have access to all my controls, there is nothing on the windshield or dashboard, and the charging cable is all but out of the way since it is only a few inches from where the charger plugs in. I'll try and post a picture if I can remember to take one next time I'm in the car.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The best one is the one that works for you. Personally, after trying MANY, i find this is the best one for ME. No plugging/unplugging, just set, pinch and go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The best one is the one that works for you. Personally, after trying MANY, i find this is the best one for ME. No plugging/unplugging, just set, pinch and go.
I have one like that in my other rig. But with CarPlay, must be plugged in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rally Racer
1,994 Posts
Mine sure does need to be plugged in to work with carplay. Is there a wireless carplay workaround I've missed?
I believe the rate that wireless charging is below the rate than can be achieved with a power cord. If your application consumption exceeds the replenish rate you will slowly discharge, as is the case for me).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe the rate that wireless charging is below the rate than can be achieved with a power cord. If your application consumption exceeds the replenish rate you will slowly discharge, as is the case for me).
Right. But my question was whether CarPlay can even be made to work without a wired connection. I believe the answer is NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Mine sure does need to be plugged in to work with carplay. Is there a wireless carplay workaround I've missed?
You werent clear on that. I use the AUX in for the moment.

Thats why you need to CLICK the link and read the contents. Its a 2.4A charger. It took me a while to find one that wasnt 1A like all the old ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've already got several RAM mount products on my motorcycle and I'm a fan of their X-Grip phone holder. To use it in my car I needed their suction cup mount. It mounts solidly and quickly - I've never had an issue with it falling off. The x-grip works with my wife's iPhone 6 + with Otterbox and my LG G4 with otterbox. The phone mount holds my phone solid on my sportbike at extra legal speeds with no issues.

Cons are it is a little pricey, but it is universally applicable to anything I ride or drive. Also, the suction cup does leave a ring on your windshield when you remove it. If it bothers me enough I just wipe it off with a microfiber towel.
I really liked having the RAM Mount on my motorcycle, and got one for my car, too. But I just couldn’t get it to stick to the dash reliably, especially in hot weather. I’d come back to the car to find it on the floor.

When I got an iPhone XR recently, I wanted a holder that would also charge the phone wirelessly. I ended up with the Anker PowerWave 7.5 with Air Vent Phone Holder, item B07D9FYBMJ on Amazon. It grips onto the right side of the vents above the center console on my Mazda6, and two little support arms help to stabilize it. It works absolutely great. The “newer model” they show for $10 more is the same thing but it includes a very nice high power cigarette lighter charger. I tucked the cable along the right side of the control panel and couldn’t be happier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts