Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 Mazda6 S GT with 58,000 miles. There is some lag and power loss between gears. When going up hill it hesitates for a couple of seconds before accelerating. When going down hill it sometimes feels like the car has a engine brake. It makes for a unpleasant drive sometimes. It feels like I have to fight it to make it shift correctly. I'm taking it to the shop on Tuesday to have it looked at but I have a feeling this is going to be a ongoing issue. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Any info would greatly be appriciated!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Check the transmission fluid first. Burnt or low fluid can cause those issues.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You can try disconnecting the battery for a while (~1 hr) .. I think that forces the computer to re-calculate the shifting characteristics (?) ps. if you do remove the battery connectors, you will need to re-program the auto up/down feature on the windows, the simple instructions you can read in your owner's manual chapter 3-25 or something like that.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
If I was you, I'd do a fluid change, considering adding an inline filter, and add 8 oz of Lubegard (red).

Hell, I'd add 8 oz of Lubegard (red) now until you change the fluid -even if only a week- and then 8 oz again when you change tranny fluid.

btw- NAPA has Lubegard red on sale for about $7.50. helluva deal

Reactions: headmaestro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I took it to the shop on tuesday and took it for a spin with the technician and of course nothing happened. We could'nt tell anything was wrong with it. I asked him to keep it over night and drive it from a cold start. I knew for sure he could tell something was wrong the next morning. Tech calls me around lunch time and says "it could not duplicate the problem". WTF! I'm taking it to another dealership next week to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Thanks for the info. I took it to the shop on tuesday and took it for a spin with the technician and of course nothing happened. We could'nt tell anything was wrong with it. I asked him to keep it over night and drive it from a cold start. I knew for sure he could tell something was wrong the next morning. Tech calls me around lunch time and says "it could not duplicate the problem". WTF! I'm taking it to another dealership next week to get a second opinion.

Make sure you read the dipstick for which fluid it needs. May very well be Toyota TIV. Some have had their tranny screwed by Mercon being put into it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts