Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tempted to go for a Rx-8 if its not too expensive. However what is a rotary engine? It says its 1.8L but can make 300 hp??

·
Registered
319 Posts
Replying to Topic 'What is a rotary engine?'

1.3L 250hp normall aspirated.

It is an engine with 3 moving parts that rotate, not move up and down. I don't know a good website to explain, but I'm sure someone here does.

Come to http://www.rx8forum.com . There are a lot more knowledgable people over there, where I am also a member. There are many good websites and many more people who will be happy to explain.

Glad to see some more enthusiasm for the RX-8!! Once you drive a rotary, experience the smoothness and power, you'll wonder why you ever drove a piston. They're amazing.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The Wankel engine is based on a very simple principle - the creation of rotating energy instead of creating energy moving back and forth that has to be transformed into rotating energy.

This pic says it all, really:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81
Come to http://www.rx8forum.com .  There are a lot more knowledgable people over there, where I am also a member.  [/b]
More people or more knowledge? :sarc

As a previous RX7 owner, rotaries kick a**!!

Makes one wonder why the design isn't more widely adopted, especially now if they have the low-end torque bumped up.

You have to drive a rotary to understand.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I find this site to be great for almost any question. It explain everything in layman language. Very easy to understand the basics of the what they are trying to explain.

Check this link out to know what is rotary engine.

How Stuff Works (Rotary Engine)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yes, heippo, that is an excellent site with excellent details on the rotary.

But you still have to drive one. ;)

And as much as I like rotaries, should we move this thread? That is, unless...the '6...WOOHOO!!

·
Registered
837 Posts

Actually, I did try it once a while back. But then that was when the rotary engine was not as refine as now a days.

The engine was not as powerful and was a little rough. It was an 80s RX-7.

However, what I really wanted to experience is a Miller Cycle 6 cylinders. Who here experience one? I would think it should have great economy since considering the small size of the engine but is it???

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by hieppo
However, what I really wanted to experience is a Miller Cycle 6 cylinders.  Who here experience one?  I would think it should have great economy since considering the small size of the engine but is it???[/b]
Good to bring that up. Someone please explain Miller Cycle to me!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

A Miller Cycle engine is in most aspects a normal engine as we know them (with pistons, valves and cylinders).

But the Miller Cycle engine depends on a supercharger. The principle is that the intake valve is open during a big part of the compression. This means that the compression is made with the supercharger as "resistance" rather than the cylinder walls.

This in turn leads to higher effects. As much as 15 percent or so.

(Just for clarity: the intake valve closes before combustion. Otherwise the engine would probably be renamed the Miller Orbital engine after where most cars powered by them will be found once started for the first time...):D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

LOL Steve. Basically, Miller changed the compression cycle to take advantage of the additional air induction that the supercharger provides. Thus, rather than a net loss of efficiency (due to the added rotational mass of a belt driven SC); you actually get a net gain. This is how the Millenia S is able to generate 210bhp and 210 lb ft from a 2.3 liter V6, while still getting 30mph hwy. Pretty impressive, huh? Apparently the only real knock on it is that it's expensive to maintain and/or repair. I'm not sure whether this is inherent to the design of the Miller cycle engine, or a product of Mazda's particular execution. I have no idea why this design hasn't been developed further. It's a simple, elegant, and efficient refinement of engine design.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Perhaps this has to do with two things:

One. Higher compression rations means higher wear.

Two. There are cheaper ways to accomplish more hp than using superchargers.

Just a guess, not knowing.

·
Registered
319 Posts

3: Emissions.

I'm sure it could be made clean enough, but in a year or two that 2.3L Miller Cycle would not pass emission standards. Again, just like the rotary, I'm sure it could be made clean enough, but the money and time it would take to do so probably don't outweigh the benefits.

With the death of the Millenia comes the death of the Miller Cycle. Cool design, but I must say I'm not crying that it is gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts