Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if i added HIDs and i get in a wreck and have my insurance pay for fixing my car, do they replace the HIDs? or just stock? Or say an aftermarket bumper, do i get the same bumper back or OEM? thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Some insurance policies cover up to $1000 in aftermarket mods, if you can prove that you had them on and their cost. But check with your insurer to be sure. And some others allow you to add to this up to $5000 in additional mod coverage for a relatively small fee.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Well, you can prove that they were there by simply having them on the car. So that part isn't hard. Proving what they cost may be another matter, and it's not easy without receipts. So keep them somewhere if at all possible.

If you get really overboard, like my car is, and the value of your mods becomes a significant portion of the value of the car, your insurance company may request that you get your car independently appraised so that there is written proof and a professional opinion of the value. This is particularly important if you get high-quality work done that might be unusually high-priced by your insurer's standards where they may question the validity of your receipt -- i.e. a very expensive paint-job.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
My insurance (Safeco but I am about to switch to Allstate since it'd lower my payments to $45 a month) has me on a modifieds plan thats specially designed for cars with aftermarket parts. They also had a Show Car plan for show cars.

I'm paying $68 a month for full coverage with 500 deductable for that. I have to provide receipts of purchase for all aftermarket items I added and ad for their records, in order for them to be covered. and parts like my intake are not covered.

They also said the turbo would not be covered because it is technically not emissions legal and Off Road use only or some crap.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
So if i bought it online and didn't get an invoice, but got a paypal reciept, does that count? And do they count HIDs as off road use only? thanks for all the replies so far.
[/b]
They didn't supply a receipt or invoice with the package at all? You could probably contact the company you purchased it from and they'd send you out an invoice copy no problem. Odds are you will need an actual invoice from the company it was purchased from though.

Insurance companies can be picky. and will do anything possible to squeeze there way out of having to cover something. I work for Metlife so I have an idea how anal they can be lmao..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts