Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, assuming that a good (CP-E) FMIC kit comes out, I'm curious what can be done with our hood. Will it only be useful for cooling the engine, or can it be used for something else?

- Oil cooling?
- Ram air?
- Radiator cooling?

... anything?

Should be just get rid of the hood? Close it off?

Looking for ideas.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You will have to keep the hood for clearance of the intercooling pipes since they run over top of the engine where the top mount was. You could remove the air ducting though. Would still be nice though as you are a tleast putting outside air into the hot engine bay so it would help cool the bay down some.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I would remove the airdamn ducting since I heard it weighs quite a bit. Natural air flow should help keep engine temps in check. Just a thought.... since your going w/ the FMIC maybe someone will need to fab up a new Front grill to direct airflow to the radiator since the IC will block a good portion of its airflow. thoughts..

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Not as good as a hood with vents...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
remove the ducting and get a radiator deflector shield so the air that enters the grill will move down and thru the radiator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wonder if I could fab something up to use the ducting as a CAI air source (I have a similar L/A intercooler setup as 4DRHTRD with active cooling, just doesn't look as cool :p, but only a SRI atm) ... will be an interesting project ....

I hadn't thought of that duct as a CAI source :p

Tek

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
remove the ducting and get a radiator deflector shield so the air that enters the grill will move down and thru the radiator.
[/b]
That seems like a useful and somewhat easy mod to do.

Wonder if I could fab something up to use the ducting as a CAI air source (I have a similar L/A intercooler setup as 4DRHTRD with active cooling, just doesn't look as cool :p, but only a SRI atm) ... will be an interesting project ....
[/b]
Assuming the ducting could happen, is this something we could actually do with our engines? I wonder how much air passes through those ducts at say, 45MPH, compared to what the turbo sucks in at 15PSI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Assuming the ducting could happen, is this something we could actually do with our engines? I wonder how much air passes through those ducts at say, 45MPH, compared to what the turbo sucks in at 15PSI.
[/b]
Whatever it is, it's gotta be better then the negative pressure inside the wheel well (CAI) and the limited (warm) flow inside the engine bay (SRI) ....

Tek

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I do not usually necro-bump threads (was searching for info on SRIs) but holy crap 4DRHTRD's W/A TMIC is pure effing sex - and above is the only picture I have seen of it. . . again - pure sex.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Yeah that car looks good....Love the wheels, Damn I under estimated how good a Liquid Platinum car looks

·
Registered
851 Posts
MetalmanFab.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking another piece of plastic or a sheet of aluminum could be bent up on the sides and front then riveted to the opening of the "scoop" leaving only the rear open to send air back to the turbo, like in the SRT-4. This should keep the hot air flowing out of the engine bay atleast while driving.

·
Registered
998 Posts
4DRHTRD please get that thing to the track, I wanna see numbers on that bad boy!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
He's also got the turbo upgrade on that too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts