Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kwik trip started putting Ethanol in their fuel. Their REGULAR and PREMIUM were both the same price. Higher octane in the Premium for the same price. Couldn't figure it out, until i realized that the Premium had ethanol, and the regular didn't.

Also the E85 ethanol station had 10, 20, 85% ethanol fuels. The 10% was 89 Octane and was 5 cents cheaper than other gas stations with regular fuel, 87 octane.

So maybe it depends on the gas station. I know their is probably a law in Wisconsin that gives tax breaks to those stations that use ethanol in their fuel. Considering it burns cleaner, and is cheaper than gas, because we are in a corn producing state.

So they probably deduct state taxes on each gallon for ethanol, just to promote its use. But who knows.

I will just stick to picking the cheapest gas from now on, no matter the octane rating. Maybe i will do some tests to see which is better or worse.

btw.. some cars actually get better gas mileage using ethanol fuel, it depends on the make of your vehicle, no clue how the 6 rates...
[/b]
Not sure how the 6 rates with the ethanol, all I know is that if you have a station with 85% ethanol I would jump on that like a fat kid on cake. At least in the summer months. Ethanol has just a slightly higher combustion tempature so on cold mornings you would have problems starting it. In Brazil, you have a choice of gasoling, diesel or ethonal. Major manufaturers have actually made cars down in Brazil to have an aux. gas tank to hold 2 gallons. What they did was on starting it used gasoline, and then to drive the car it used the ethanol. They pay on average .75/gal for it, where as gasoline is in the high $4 mark. If you ask me, the U.S. should stick it to the oil company and use the re-usable source of corn or sugar. All you need it the plants to process it. Of course we would need a lot of them to be able to supply ourselves. But in Brazil they pump out alot of ethanol each day. And viola`, our problems are solved (well at least at the gas pump!)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
If you ask me, the U.S. should stick it to the oil company and use the re-usable source of corn or sugar. All you need it the plants to process it. Of course we would need a lot of them to be able to supply ourselves. But in Brazil they pump out alot of ethanol each day. And viola`, our problems are solved (well at least at the gas pump!)[/b]
Until you consider that the US would have to turn 75% of its' arable land towards growing corn in order to replace our oil consumption. And the price of ethanol both in Brazil and in the US is artificially reduced by government subsidies and gasoline prices artificially inflated by taxes, making comparing prices an exercise in futility at best. Brazil also uses sugar cane for its' ethanol which yields much more ethanol per acre than the corn that is used in the US (and also takes much less energy expenditure to recover) because its' a more viable crop for our environment making the success of their ethanol program not necessarily applicable to one of our own.

It's generally considered that ethanol will only be able to replace, at most, 4% of our oil consumption and that would take a while to reach. It's a start, but it's nothing big.

Increased usage of diesel fuel provides a MUCH cheaper and more efficient means of providing a much more significant impact on our oil consumption. Greater efficiency both in mileage and in power, an entire infrastructure that already exists, and a product that's not priced artificially low due to government subsidization.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion about some sort of odd knocking sound when at low rpm's ... just as you step on the pedel to accelerate. You can compare how your car behaves as you change from 87 to 89 octaine and back again. To be fair - it really takes about 3 tank fills to fully "switch" over. I feel that the 89 octaine limits this "odd" behavior at low rpm's. Also if you are in 5th gear going uphill at about 60 mpr...floor your car in5th gear and see what happens...it has been my experience that 87 octaine will give just a slight "hesitation" while at (wot) (wide open throttle) going uphill (under load) while using 89 octaine provides a constant smooth acceleration. Feel free to give this a try...I don't see this as a waste of money. Once again - I agree - there is simply no need for 91/92/93/94 octaine. Perhaps I am wrong...it's sort of like a reluctance to actually buy no name brand Tylenol. Is CVS Brand Acetominofin "really" exacty the same as "Tylenol"??? Some say YES it's just that the no name is much cheaper because they were not responsible for expensive Research and Development (R&D). Others are steadfast and say NO the manufacturing process is not the same and what you get in the off brand may or may not really be "Tylenol". In the end you pay more for what you "believe" you get!!! Why else would someone pay good $$$ for bottled water and forgo the tap which is free??? Go ahead and try my hands on test...maybe just maybe...someone will actually agree...
[/b]
this is off topic, but do you have ANY idea how many chemicals are in tap water?

OP: use what the owners manual says. i do not know what the V6's manual says to use. be aware though, that higher octane fuels typically have more detergents in them (you want detergents), so if you are using 87, be sure to regularily run a bottle of chev techron, redline fuel cleaner or seafoam through your tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have any luck with 10% ethanol gasoline?

The reason i ask, is because ethanol gives you a higher octane. So 87 Octane regular cost the same as 89-91 octane ethanol. So you pay the same, but you get a higher octane rating.

Now, higher octane could give you worse gas mileage, and have no benefit in performance. But is it bad for the engine?

Since i live in Wisconsin, so most gas station now have 10% ethanol in all their fuel. Certain gas stations don't use ethanol. So should i be selective to which gas stations i go to?

if its the same price, i would go for whatever is closest or most convenient. But i don't want to lose 2-3 mpg or do slight harm to my engine.

i have a 4cyl btw.

Just curious.
[/b]
10% ethanol fuel makes my gas mileage decrease, usually by about 2mpg highway. i go to a station in town that sells pure, real gas and can score over 30mpg highway in my vr6.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Premium fuel has proven to give better mileage in all vehicles. Studies have shown this. It is very hard to calculate this on your own because of differnt varying factors that you might not remember of in the last 400 miles(tankful of gas).

From my experiences, Premium fuel does give the throttle some more juice, and makes the car seem a little peppier.

For example, yesterday I filled up 89 octane because it was the same price as 87 dont know why. Every morning when I start my car, it kind of "adjusts" and then starts, kind of like a little jerk, not sure why it only have 4k miles on it. When I started it today, it started much much smoother with only an incrase to 89. Hmm?

Also, that may be very petty, but higher octane burns cleaner. Our engines do not ask for 87 becuase we do not need that type of gas. Why does a BMW 3 series require premium fuel? for the high compression engine that it has onboard. Its kind of like drinking regular milk vs. drinkning organic milk, you dont feel it, but in actuality it is better for your body.

Main point being.....If you have a leased car, or are not planning to keep your car, go ahead with 87, but If you are planning to keep your car, and want to prevent as much gunk, carbon, and all that crap getting in there by using an octane which is 93% pure instead of 87% pure, by all means go for it. It is more expensive, buy hey, ya gotta pay to play.

Also, if you fill a whole tank of premium, I bet u wil notice some difference in the smoothness as well as the pickup, plus some additional mileage.

Loosing mileage with premium, I forget who said that, but that is a total myth. It is clear gas, you do not get better mileage by burning more junk. ROFL.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Premium fuel has proven to give better mileage in all vehicles. Studies have shown this. It is very hard to calculate this on your own because of differnt varying factors that you might not remember of in the last 400 miles(tankful of gas).

From my experiences, Premium fuel does give the throttle some more juice, and makes the car seem a little peppier.

For example, yesterday I filled up 89 octane because it was the same price as 87 dont know why. Every morning when I start my car, it kind of "adjusts" and then starts, kind of like a little jerk, not sure why it only have 4k miles on it. When I started it today, it started much much smoother with only an incrase to 89. Hmm?

Also, that may be very petty, but higher octane burns cleaner. Our engines do not ask for 87 becuase we do not need that type of gas. Why does a BMW 3 series require premium fuel? for the high compression engine that it has onboard. Its kind of like drinking regular milk vs. drinkning organic milk, you dont feel it, but in actuality it is better for your body.
Main point being.....If you have a leased car, or are not planning to keep your car, go ahead with 87, but If you are planning to keep your car, and want to prevent as much gunk, carbon, and all that crap getting in there by using an octane which is 93% pure instead of 87% pure, by all means go for it. It is more expensive, buy hey, ya gotta pay to play.

Also, if you fill a whole tank of premium, I bet u wil notice some difference in the smoothness as well as the pickup, plus some additional mileage.

Loosing mileage with premium, I forget who said that, but that is a total myth. It is clear gas, you do not get better mileage by burning more junk. ROFL.
[/b]
There is so much wrong here it is simply incredible.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts

[/b]
:bsflag:

·
Registered
12 Posts
octane = ron + mon / 2. google ron and mon.

burning a higher octane than needed won't increase your mileage, but usually the "premium" gasses have more detergents in them (which IS good). you can just go to a top tier station and probably get all the detergents in any gas grade though

·
Registered
12 Posts
10% ethanol fuel makes my gas mileage decrease, usually by about 2mpg highway. i go to a station in town that sells pure, real gas and can score over 30mpg highway in my vr6.
[/b]
so to quote myself, i just took a 700 mile (round) trip in my 6. got 28.9mpg on the way up with pure gasoline, and 27.1mpg on the way back, with 10% ethanol. plus, the average speed on the way up was slightly higher to boot

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure how the 6 rates with the ethanol, all I know is that if you have a station with 85% ethanol I would jump on that like a fat kid on cake. At least in the summer months. Ethanol has just a slightly higher combustion tempature so on cold mornings you would have problems starting it. In Brazil, you have a choice of gasoling, diesel or ethonal. Major manufaturers have actually made cars down in Brazil to have an aux. gas tank to hold 2 gallons. What they did was on starting it used gasoline, and then to drive the car it used the ethanol. They pay on average .75/gal for it, where as gasoline is in the high $4 mark. If you ask me, the U.S. should stick it to the oil company and use the re-usable source of corn or sugar. All you need it the plants to process it. Of course we would need a lot of them to be able to supply ourselves. But in Brazil they pump out alot of ethanol each day. And viola`, our problems are solved (well at least at the gas pump!)
[/b]
Whhhhhooooooaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you want your 6 to become completely undriveable - do NOT put E85 in it.

That is a completely different animal that the 10% ethanol that has been discussed here. There are relatively few vehicles that can run on E85, though more and more every year, but our 6 isn't one of them. My Ranger happens to be one that can, though I haven't used it yet. It isn't available near us yet, but I think it will be soon, there are some stations in Houston that have it now.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
In the USA, cars that can safely use E85 are 'labelled' as "Flex Fuel" vehicles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
One note should be added about use of 93 Octane. If your Mazda is a Speed6, it requires 93 Octane and anything lower can cause harm to the engine. Before I bought the Speed6, I put 90K+ on a 2003 Sport i, and neverr used anything but 87. I put a can of high strength injector cleaner through it every 10,000 miles and never did another thing to the engine, except change the oil. It was in perfect shape when I traded it, and it got good mileage in mixed city driving.

LEADOGG

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, if I am going to use my mazda6 in Europe (Poland) where we only have 95, 98 and 99 octanes will it impact my engine?? What is the difference between European 2.3 and American 2.3 (besides HP, which in Europe are 166). Do I have to change computer or software only??

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So, if I am going to use my mazda6 in Europe (Poland) where we only have 95, 98 and 99 octanes will it impact my engine?? What is the difference between European 2.3 and American 2.3 (besides HP, which in Europe are 166). Do I have to change computer or software only??
[/b]
Europe doesn't use the same Octane scale as the USA. USA uses PON, Europe uses RON. The RON number is typically 4-5 points higher than the PON. So 87 PON (USA) would be about 91 RON (Poland).

Octane and RON - MON - PON

If the regular is rated at 95 (RON) Octane in Poland, that would be the equivalent of 91 (PON) octane in the USA, or our super unlead. Higher than needed for anything but the MS6, but not harmful except for possibly leaving more deposits due to a higher level unburned gasoline. (And those can be cleaned out with a good injector cleaner.)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I drive 98(RON) at daily and 120(RON) at racing.

92(RON) is almost undrivable, 95(RON) is recomended by mazda.

98 gives a smoother acceleration than 95 and uses the same amount at distance(we using system l/km).
120 is use much more, and gives a very good acceleration.
This can be different for USA cars, for me it gives good perormance.

PS
USA cars is desighned to run less octane number, this is seen that stock euro 6i have 166hp...

M

·
0 Posts
While 10% ethanol blends have a higher octane rating than pure gasoline, that's not why you get slightly lower mileage. A gallon of ethanol has less energy than a gallon of gasoline, so while it burns cleaner (alcohols are partially oxygenated) you'll need more of it to go the same distance.

I used to drive an old fleet-car Taurus that was a flex-fuel vehicle, and did at times fill it up with E85 depending on the price and whether I was near one of the few stations that carried it. It made a significant improvement in the car's performance (some tests say a 5% increase in horsepower which I can believe) but I got significantly worse mileage.

(To reiterate what someone said earlier in the thread, definitely don't put E85 in a car not designed for it unless you like spending time at the mechanic!)

41 - 60 of 457 Posts
About this Discussion
456 Replies
310 Participants
TalonTsi90
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing