Mazda 6 Forums banner
461 - 466 of 466 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
I wanted to contribute to the conversation to be notified with new developments.

Another recent twist is the benefit of higher octane for more power with the turbo. I have heard that you get full power in the winter with lower octane but need the expensive stuff for the summer. Is this true?

Another factor, I have not seen any benefit from the top tier stations for my Mazda but my MINI runs rough and stalls with anything but Shell VPower.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 with the 2.5L Turbo.

After purchase, I used regular 87 for two weeks. I decided to give 93 a try, and haven't gone back. The engine seems to idle and cold start noticeably smoother on premium. Yes, it's not necessarily 'huge', but it was noticeable enough for me to be confident that it wasn't just in my head.

Though, I'd also note that I remember off-the-line performance actually felt slightly better with 87.

Now that I'm on this forum, I might give 87 a try again and report back.
Same putting 93 makes the Mazda6 go from 227 horsepower to 250 and it's a noticeable faster so I won't go back either

· Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
18 Posts
Hi, im just wondering what octane gas I should use. In the owners manual is says to use 87, but to my knowledge isn't 91 always better. 91 octane is supposed to be for, correct me if im wrong higher compression motors. So does the V6 mazda 6S motor need 91 or is it just a waste?

I also know if the motor is supposed to use 91 and you use 87 it will throw on the "check engine" light, because the emissions sensor will read incorrectly if 87 is used. I'm currently using 91, but I really dont want to waste money if its not going to really matter.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
So, I've been reading all the replies & I'm glad I did. I just recently got my hands on a 2017 Mazda6 with 30k miles! Yes, I've heard it b4... "What's wrong with it?". Luckily, had it all checked out and it's GOOD! Anyways, with my previous Mazda, I would put 87 but every once in a while I would put 91. My reasoning was for the additive cleaners. Now I know better. Not going to do the same with my 2017. Thanks everyone!

461 - 466 of 466 Posts