Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious for those that are still waiting for the ultimate test drive in the 6...as to decide whether its worthy or not...what else is on your short list? Amidst all this "Sixness" my list is follows:

6 hatch/sedan/wagon
RX8
Accord
350Z
SRT-4..yeah the spunky funky neon...250hp at the wheels gets my attention

I read on Edmunds.com that the auto RX8 will only rate at 210hp (hey the wife has to be happy to); while the 6spd is around 250hp.
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/f...11/article.html

....this makes me think that the auto V6 6 will present a better value...with nearly the same or better hp...more room for 5 and a real trunk and slightly better mileage, without any rotor worries...granted they are complete different car yet at the same time not all that far apart...a loaded 6 is the same price at a base RX8.:sarc

Just day dreaming,
~Nanda
1992 Miata "UFO" 201k smiles

·
Registered
70 Posts
Replying to Topic 'What else is on your radar screen?'

cars im looking at are

wrx wagon-manual
accord sedan v6- auto only
mazda 6 v6-automatic
nissan murano-5speed cvt
vw gli-6 speed manual
neon srt-4-manual only

·
Registered
319 Posts

If you're going to get an auto, skip the RX-8. A true sports car deserves nothing less than a real manual transmission in my book.

I think it sounds more like you're looking for an auto car with good pep, and the 6 auto V6 will give that.

Me, I'm only kinda looking. I got a RSX Type S over a year ago, and probably within the next year or so I'll be looking to replace my aging Millenia, which is why I'm here.

I guess when the time comes, my choices look to be:

Mazda6
Mazda RX-8.

That's it. Life is too short to drive boring cars, even if they must be practical ;)

·
Registered
391 Posts

Before, I was looking the Maxima, the Altima V6 and the 6, but now : only the 6...

...since I ordered mine exactly 2 weeks from now!!!:) :) :)

·
Registered
628 Posts

Mazda 6s 5speed
WRX Wagon 5speed
VW GLI 6speed
Altima 4cyl 5speed

·
Registered
137 Posts

Audi A4
BMW 325i
Acura 3.2TL Type S
Acura RSX
Altima 3.5
Jetta
Subaru WRX

·
Registered
19 Posts

Cars I'm considering to replace my 2000 626 ES V6 5spd:
MazdaSpeed 6
MazdaSpeed RX-8 (only if it is FI)
Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro (I like the S4 Avant better, but the A4 is a better value, also there will be more cash left over for mods)

Other cars I'm considering, but not likely to purchase:
Subaru WRX STi Wagon (if they improve the look)
Mitsubishi EVO VIII

Nothing else on the radar screen.

Budget:
Would like to pay $30K, but willing to pay upto $40K if it blows my socks off. Willing to consider a used car if one can be found.

Wife is getting a 2003 Land Rover Discovery once the 99 Mercedes ML 430 lease is up.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Subaru WRX Wagon (2004+)
Subaru Legacy Turbo (2005?)
MazdaSpeed 6 (2004?)

My buying timeline is a little further than most peoples'. I just paid off my current car (1998 Subaru Forester bought used in January 2001); and I'm enjoying the freedom of not having a car payment. I'm enjoying it so much, that I don't think I ever want to have one again. So I have to wait until I've saved enough to pay cash for the car. If I go for the WRX, then it's not as long a wait, as the other two cars are probably around $30,000, or $8,000 more than the WRX. The Legacy Turbo hasn't even been announced yet, but rumors are pretty strong, and the B4 RSK has been one of my favorite cars for awhile.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah, not having a car payment each month is great. I didn't for a few months, but now I'm back in the leash... 250 US$ each month for the next 60 months... A good thing is that I don't plan to follow that plan, but rather pay it off in the next year and a half or so...

Saving to pay cash is a good plan. Real good! I'm crossing my fingers for you.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts

I too am trying to get off the payment plan, but with a new house and baby that both came about 6-7 months ago, the savings plan has been stretched a little thin. Also, I'm looking to replace my 3rd gen RX-7 before replacing my 2000 626 ES V6 5spd. This means that the MazdaSpeed 6 or MazdaSpeed RX-8 could be sometime away.

Also, my wife changes cars every 3 years, so she will always have a payment and we resolved to ourselves that we will never have more than 2 car payment at anyone time.

Regarding paying for a car in cash could save someone upto $5K compared to financing for a $30K car for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Replying to Topic 'W

Those cars where on my favorite list:

Mazda6 (what else :D, that's what I finally ordered)
Audi A4
Lexus IS 200
European Honda Accord 2003 (until I saw pictures of it :( )

Nothing else is on my list, the car market is a bit depressing right now. There's nothing really new that's knocking you of your feet (at least what is affordable). LAZY designers.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

max: Just out of curiosity, why does your wife change cars every three years? This seems like such a tremendous expense, especially given the new house and baby. Personally I'm debating whether I should buy another car at all at this point. I could spend the $30k on investments and have it make me money, rather than purchasing a depreciating asset (aka toy). It's getting harder and harder to justify in my mind knowing that I could buy an investment property that could make me $300-400 per month versus something that I know will essentially have no value ten years from now. *Sighs*

Driver6: I like the A4 as well, but the steering is too dead for me. I like the Lexus - the IS 300 in our country, but I think it's over-priced, and I also see too many posers in it. It's a small thing, but hey.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Replying to Topic 'W

@Kenoka

You're absoluteley right, the space issue plus that you cannot get a diesel with the Lexus (hell knows why and for anyone who might care) didn't make me buy it. Regarding the A4, there are too many posers in this car in my country. That's why I didn't buy the A4. In addition to this it's still $/€ 10000 more than the Mazda 6 and it's not even better looking, so why spend an awful lot of money on a car? :sarc My Mazda 6 will be paid in full, so it's mine after all. And that's important :)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Oh, I agree with you. I'm the type that takes his time picking exactly what I want and sticking with it for a long time. I'm hoping to put 200K+ miles on my 626, but temptation from the Mazda 6 and RX-8 is building. It will be very difficult when the MazdaSpeed version are available. There would be no temptation from the thought of MazdaSpeed products if there is a reliable FI kit for my car.

My wife just gets bored with what's she's driving after a few years. I've learned that spending the money on a new (to us) car for her every few years is worth the piece of mind I have away from her whining and complaints about her car. I have considered letting her get her car, drive it for 3 years and then taking it over for my daily commuting, but she loves SUVs and I don't like because of their size and handling.

One ray of hope. She likes the Mazda6 wagon, but it won't be out in time before her ML430 lease ends. Besides, she's already has her mind set on a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. She likes the high sitting position of SUV's.

Even with the new house, baby and cars every 3 years for the wife. I think we can start the complete cash purchase plan for cars after the Discovery lease. My wife is very good at planning and saving, well, other than the car thing, of course.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts

1. Mazda RX-8, if it will really hold 4 adults on a 3-hour trip.
2. Mazda6 Hatchback, if I can stand to wait that long
3. Acura TSX, if they keep the Euro feel and a manual transmission
4. Mazda6 Sedan with the 4 cyl. and 5 speed, but I want the Bose and the 17" wheels without having to buy any packages whatsoever.
5. Mazda6 Sedan with the 6 cyl. and 5 speed
6. Infiniti G35 sedan
7. Nissan Altima

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

not really looking at any other cars now. I drive an '02 Maxima SE and i saw the 6 and have been wanting to test drive it ever since. sure i'll be going from a torquey 255 to a less torquey 219, but theres other factors which steer me away

but i just fear the 6 will become another accord, real common and seen on every block

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Originally posted by SixAppeal

but i just fear the 6 will become another accord, real common and seen on every block[/b]
I sure hope so...the world should be full of 6's...I just got back from the SF Autoshow and spent several minutes inside outside under around the 6 and must say it is truely a beautiful piece. There were 2 silvers with auto and 4 cylinder with black leather...and a 3 dark gray (beauty) Euro 4 cylinder on the turn table with cloth and bose and 17''s with no fin or body molding,,,my idea of the perfect 6. The red back lite gauges are slick...the trunk simply massive....This car was talking to me....now I just can't wait to drive one. I think/agree Mazda has made a mistake not showing the hatch and wagon at least at the auto show...this would make the buying decision much easier...to I have to wait another several month before I can commit to a 6.... just touch a hatch and another 6-8 months to see a wagon....lame lame lame....bad planning...and there was no RX8 either...also a lame lame lame decision...I need to see/sit in the hatch/wagon and RX8 before I scratch a check...and I am sure several others feel the same way. With the other versions of the 6 and 8 so close to being available I can't imagine why they are not at the autoshow, exepct for the LA and Detroit autoshows....Hopefully the hatch/wagon and 8 are production ready much earlier in NA...otherwise waiting chumps like myself will be all teased up ...but leaving our pocket books at home. Why did they ever mention the hatch or wagon in the first place until they were ready:sarc

~Nanda...I hate being f***ing patient...I am an american and need instant gratification NOW:D

·
Registered
4 Posts

the only car i would consider over my 2001 miata (my third miata so far) is a mazdaspeed mazda6 (MPS mazda6). the WRX was tempting, but not quite enought to get me to give up my miata. :)

however...my wife is due to get the first silver mazda6 S with all the good stuff (plus some stuff we wouldn't have ordered if it weren't for the wacked out package groupings) to come into our dealership of choice. it's going to replace her '98 protege ES. she didn't want a 5-door or wagon, only a sedan and she doesn't want a manual, so the MPS wouldn't be an option for her, although she does like the sound of turbos and blow-off valves, so she might be willing to learn how to drive a manual tranny car if it was turbo. :)

as for me, i would only want a five-door and only if it was the mazdaspeed/MPS version.

zoom zoom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts