Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think threads like this have been done before, but I did a couple of searches and looked back through all of the December posts and couldn't find anything, so...

I always find it interesting to see people's thought process when they buy a new car. What did they consider? What did they cross-shop and test drive? Why did they ultimately choose the car they bought. Since I'm often the person in my circle of family and friends that people consult on these things, knowing other people's experiences helps me to be better informed. So if you could put down some of that info: other considered, shopped, and what swayed you to the Speed, I'll file it away for future use.

As for me, I need something fairly practical (no 2 seaters), live at the top of a steep hill where it snows (AWD preferred), enjoy driving (the more HP and grip the better), and have a budget.

I looked at used '05 GTOs with the 6.0, but the trunk was Miata sized, it only was a 4 passenger, 2 doors wasn't optimal and it was RWD, plus the gas mileage was going to be terrible. Overall, the 400 horsepower alone wasn't enough for $25k given all the other shortcomings.

I had a deal made on an '04 Cadillac CTS-V for $35k. I loved everything about that car, at least in theory, and searched everywhere for them, even joined the Cadillac forum. Bur in reality, the interior was awful (inexcusable in a car that stickers for over $50k) and with 6 lugs, aftermarket wheels for snow tires on that RWD beast would have been outrageous money. For the cost of the car, plus the extra cost of fuel, given the tire issues, some quality concerns, the horrible rubbery shifter and cheap interior, I walked away.

Briefly considered a new or used G35x, but was trading in a Maxima with the same 3.5 liter that had over 30 days in the shop for various ugly issues in the first 35k miles (2 new ECUs, MAF, cracked fuel injector, etc, etc).

Looked at the Civic Si, but there were no deals on those, inventory was low and the sticker was within $2000 of the Speed 6 (after discounts).

Went to the Zoom Zoom Live event (in the rain) and decided the Speed was the car. Bought mine that very day.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I already had an 03 6s, so the Speed was the only car I considered. I was actually really at the beginning stages of being in the market to turn over my 03 6s and had been toying around with the idea of driving the Speed for as long as they had hit the lots before I finally let myself drive it. I knew I was going to like it, and I did. One of the sales guys at the dealership who had just bought a Speed 6 saw me when I got back from the drive and laughed at my "perma-smile" as I was getting out of the car. I was literally shaking with adreniline from the drive. Based on the drive I took a few days to think about it, saw the deals that were out there to be had, went back and was able to make the numbers work.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I looked / test drove:

Mazda 6i ( Not bad wanted to look at V6 and MTX but no one had one )
Subaru Legasy GT ( Suspension was too soft )
Subaru WRX ( Too small, nice car though )
VW GTI ( Good power no a fan of hatches )
Nissan Altima ( Once again no dealership had one with a V6 and MTX )

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Subaru WRX TR ( The interior was really cheap )
Acura TL ( The 6-speed was really hard to shift through )
Subaru Legacy ( Didn't want to drive around in a "fake-me-out" STi )

Then i drove a few other cars, and just didn't like them!

Finally, drove the Mazdaspeed6, and that was the last car i test drove.
Its been true love ever since.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I really only considered the Legacy GT, but it was out of my price range. Originally, I was going to get a '07 6S GT...but two things happened.

1. I drove the Speed 6
2. The Speed 6 was cheaper than a loaded 6S GT

As I told a friend of mine the other day...this car is basically everything I ever wanted, or could hope for in a car.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I literally had two deals worked out
one for the Speed 6 I have right now and one for a 2004 STI in silver

I loved the STI's power but the car was cheap, smaller than the speed 6 and was almost the same price for a car 2 years older.

I picked the speed 6 ....... obviously :drive:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Alfa 159 3.2 v6 too heavy and slow and quality issues
[/b]
i wonder how are these cars going to do here in US when they start selling them in 08 or 09

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I considered an Acura TSX with MTX if I couldn't get the MS6, but I wanted an MS6 before I bought my 04 6s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove a lot of cars to finally get to the speed. the list goes in order

New Civic si(out of control price)
06 audi a4 (i was driving an a6 then, felt like down grade)
93 rx7(nice but too old)
92 mr2 turbo(damn i still want this car)
07 camry(worthless!!)
06 gmc crew cab w duramax(if i bought a truck this would be the one, im just not a truck guy)
03 corvette z06(2 seater is a no go for me, this car can go like a mofo though!!!!!!)

here was the real toss up though
06 evo mr edition
06 speed6

in between every test drive id go look at the mr and the speed(mitsu and mazda dealers are on the same block). in stock form they are not in the same class by any means, but with the crazy deals on speeds looked at it like this. evo mr 36g and change out the door....speed 6 26gs out the door. i could sink 10gs into this car and blow away an evo mr with upgrades! i looked at the new engine design of the speed and the power that it was capable of. it was no question once i came to the conclusion that for the money there just isn't any other car out there like the speed6!!!if someone could please just find a way to make the rear end of this car look as sexy as the front!!! come on aftermarket!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Acura TL, Front drive a problem
2007 BMW 335, way to expensive for what you get, close to 50G with options & tax.
07 audi A3, to small
07 speed3, lead me to the speed 6
07 IS350 no manual tranny, not really impressed for the $$

I basicly bought the speed6 & a 07 dodge ram 1500 with hemi and thunder road pkg for what the BMW would have cost me. Am I happy with this, damm right I am.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I looked into:

2006 MazdaSpeed6
2005 RX-8
2005 Nissan 350Z
2005 Mitsu Evo MR
2005 Subaru STI

I obviously went with my Piston Free friend! I wanted something that is different and you won't see everywhere you go so that dropped the 350, mr, and sti off of the list. RX8 beat out the MS6 in the handling dept by far...and I previously owned a 6 so wanted something a lil different! I don't regret my choice at all just wish i had FI!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i wonder how are these cars going to do here in US when they start selling them in 08 or 09
[/b]

I think they have a different spec engine and improved the quality....but forget the japanese quality standard... by the way alfa have great chassis..very well tuned

·
Registered
210 Posts
Started with the V6 wagon, then the hatch, didnt love either, the sales guy tried to talk me into driving the speed6 but I said no way, on paper it wasnt what I wanted
Then I drove WRX, Legacy, Forester, STi Liked the forester but didnt love the hanling, STi was way to stiff.
Volkswagon GTi, :zzz:
Audi A3 great car, just way to much money for what it was
Ford fusion AWD, like the grampas car
Volvo V50 T5 AWD, fun but to much money and not enough go.
Acura TSX fun but then I went back and drove the speed6, never did make it back to the acura dealership.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't consider any other car.

The only reason I purchased the MS6 was due to the incredible discounting going on at the end of the year. I'd purchased an '06 MX-5 less than a year ago, but thought I'd go test drive an MS6 just to see if I liked it more than the MX-5 - I did. It was sort of an unplanned purchase, but one I'm very happy with.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Only other cars that i thought about were:
Suby WRX and Civic Si
honestly I never really concidered the MS6 and just went to test drive it because I had nothing better to do. and the rest is history...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Was perfectly happy with my 6s, but I walked into the dealer just to test one. Afterwards, I realized how much more car the Speed6 really was and never looked back.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
evo, sti, g35x, golf r32

i ended up going for the speed because i didnt want a boy racer car that tracted cops and theives, also the price was better

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went and looked at just about everything. Here is a list of just the test drives before I decided on the speed6

Dodge Charger R/T - Hemi V8 but terrible gas mileage and handling
STI - great car, but a little on the small side and is just screaming for attention
Speed3 - Didn't like the hatch or that I couldn't get full power in first gear
Civic Si - Fun little car, but too small and not enough oomph
VW GTI - again fun little car, but not a hatch fan.
Acura TSX - was the front runner, but not as much power as the speed6 and handling wasn't the same
RX-8 - Loved the sportiness of this car, but not very practicle and could have used more power, not enough distinction from the speed6 as far as power is concerned

The speed6 is the best of all worlds in my opinion and couldn't be beat or the price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Civic Si -Almost put a deposit down until they told me it was non-refundable. I wasn't going to give them money for a car I had not seen in person or driven.
Subaru WRX - Not many performance optioned cars on the lots around here, and it costs too much for what you get.
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT - The dealers suck and the car is a pig, yet small on the inside. I wished they made one like my '96 Tsi.
Mazda 6s Sport - only a couple thou more for the Speed6 made it a no-brainer after the test drive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts