Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Replying to Topic 'What does the Mazda6club want from us?'

Amish, that's an excellent response, and you make a good arguement. Thank you for taking the time to write it all out.

It's going to take a while for me to respond to all of it. I'll do it in sections:

Originally posted by Gujustud

Here's what I personally see.  

:: website ::

I don't see the need for 2 websites.

Forums, okay, sure, maybe,  but website? No.

Tony and myself have put a lot into finally getting our website up, I don't see why we can't keep one website? The point of us getting our website up, was so that all these questions that keep coming up, could be archived, and added to the site. If anyone asks a question, boom, link up to it on the website.
That is our motivation too. In that sense, we have a common goal. We're only halfway there ourselves, but you'll notice on our forums there are four links up top to the suspension, engine, maintenance, and driving articles sections. We want to integrate the articles and the forum. I don't think that we've done a great job of doing so, yet, but that is our goal.

We use movabletype to update the website, which I can easily create user accounts for, so you guys can update that portion. I have no problem in doing so.
I do like the 6club site. I don't know what the internals (admin areas) look like for it, but it did not seem suitable for mass production of articles. We currently run a WYSIWYG HTML editor to quickly make ours, and our file system supports a nested heirarchy. It keeps this organized. Our layout was not designed to be pretty as much as it was designed to be printer-friendly. Function over form. The 6club articles never gathered much attention, I suspect, because of the small print and several articles per page.

Basically, I just don't feel as if the 6club articles section is suitable for what we want from it. And in the coming months, I hope to integrate our articles very closely with the forum.

I've taken a look at your site, and it seems that it would take just a hour or two of copy and pasting, and we could move all your info to our website. As it is, there is a TON of info in which Tony has entered (much of it, I believe has been written by you Steve if i'm correct).
Yes, I wrote a lot of it. In fact, those articles on the 6club web site were taken from an articles-only web site I started well over a year ago that I never actually publicised. I had started on my own articles site before knowing that the 6club was going to be revamped, and when I heard the news I gave my work (and continued to write) articles for the 6 club.

I'm sorry to say that a lot of the information is now a little dated, and since then a few things now found to be incorrect. I never got access to update my articles. I realize you probably would have given me this, but it's something I myself rarely looked at and easily forgot about.

:: forum ::

okay from the first reply, its seem you don't want to drop your forum. However this is what I see.

We've got our: Technical / Performance / Model section.

Why not make a sub area, which YOU guys moderator, which you can mod however you'd like, as strick as you like. We can name it whatever you'd like "highly technical area, bewarned!" or something along those lines.
If there were an all-purpose "super technical" section on top of the specific engine, suspension, etc, forums, it would make searching for posts more difficult. There'd be two forums to post in or search in; and the technical section would be an incoherent mess.

If not a sub area, then you guys take over that whole section all together. boom done. You guys are the technical guys, why not run that whole section? You guys can have your own techmod area for your personally chatting and what not. sub sections could be made in each section, such as:

Engine / Drivetrain
- FAQ
Suspension / Brakes
- FAQ

In those FAQ sections, is where questions are asked, answered by mods, locked, and put in the FAQ section. Also later posted on the website as well.
This is a reasonable idea, but for the reasons outlined in our letters, something we decided against.

As we've said, the reason we want a different forum is to have a totally different atmosphere. In my (our) opinion, that cannot be accomplished within a subforum.

I dunno, I've thrown out several ideas that have been floating in my head all day long. And I know i'll have others tomorrow as I sleep over it.

Here's where I come from. A lot of you guys think that I only see this as a website, and something on the side. Sure maybe so. Maybe I don't post a lot here as well. That doesn't mean i'm not here on this site. I lurk a ton, and I speak with some of my mods on a DAILY basis about anything happening on the site.
Not being a mod myself, it seems as if you rarely participate with the site. I often see your name in the "online" list, and wonder why it's there if you're not posting. The "bugs" in the forum software seem neglected. Be it the case or not, it seems from my perspective that you have little interest in your own site.

I'm not saying that's the case! It's just my perspective, formed from that lack of posts/participation that I see. I have credited that to your now owning the car, and as such I often wonder why you have such an interest in running this site. I'm not saying you don't, these are all assumptions (and you know what they say about assumptions) I've drawn from your relative absense of the forum. Perhaps, in reality, it matters not- but I like seeing a little leadership from the site founder.

I will make the observation, however, that until mazda6tech popped up, moderation was poor, polls did not work (or still don't), JPG images are considered invalid, and more. All these problems were listed in the site/suggestions forum and did not result in any action. It took the upbringing of another site before action took place, and now (I say almost regretably) it's too late. I will admit that one of my personal motivations for starting fresh was to avoid the software problems that seem to plague the 6club.

I'm EXTREMELY active in the Protege community. I have been for SEVERAL years. I've seen one protege site, start, into about 20+. Want me to name them? I certainly can.

The local board that I admin (bcmazda.com) use to be called mpsport.net (mazda protege sport). The other admin, who was the FIRST person to get a MP3, the FIRST person to get the Mazdaspeed, and also a RX8, and now a Mazda3, is a good friend of mine. He has extremely close ties with Mazda Canada, which was how he was the first person to get a Mazdaspeed, WEEKS before its release. Our club has monthly dinner meets.

A few of us technical guys, meet up EVERY sunday at my friends workplace where we work on out cars. He's currently working on the first black turbo stage 3 protege, which i'm positive you'll hear of soon.

You all know I work at my dad's cnc machine shop, were last year we were extremely busy. I've been desiging parts at my dad's shop for our cars. I started small with battery tie downs, and oil caps. I've been working on lower tie bars as we speak. I've sold tons of my parts, with nothing but great comments.  

I would love to start making parts for the mazda6. I've been asking my dad about trading it (protege to mazda6), but since we're slow at work, it hasn't been a option right now. Hopefully sometime this year, a trade may be in place, and you'll see more of me here, posting in more threads.

Where am I going with this? Ask the protege community. We'd prefer one website, rather to the 20. Okay so I don't see them all on a daily basis, but I do visit about 5 of them. 5 boards, a day. How much I see the same on every board, tons. The protege community would be much better if things were brought together. But its been about 3-4 years now, and that won't happen.

I DO NOT want to see this happening to the Mazda6 community, but because I've seen it happen once, I can see it happening again.
What credentials to the moderators have? They're the ones who do the policing. They're the "face" of the site. [edit]-I won't continue this topic because I don't want to make it personal.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Alrighty.. as promised here is my response.

I just want to say thanks to all the 6tech guys that have come back and decided to talk to us... And hopefully Greg will make his way back too, he adds alot of value to this site.

Some of the ideas already thrown around here sound very good. However, some of the website technical aspects might not be able to be completed as easily as we may think, if at all. However, that's really not what we are here to discuss.

I don;t really have any gripes about what has happened so far, I am just upset that it went this far. And who knows, even if we did all that we could there still could have been a purely technical site to spring up. I just wish both sides could have had more communication between them. However, what is done, is done.

Let me quickly answer some of the questions that were propsed... Someone mentioned switching forum software... We have been looking at doing that for the past several months with no resolution. The problem is not getting new software or not wanting to pay for the good software, it's has more to do with the database problems. Most of ht eforum software created/sold comes with a tool to switch your current database over to the new format, however, with every try that Amish has done, the tool has failed... miserably. So, we either stick it out with this forum software until we find a working tool or blindly switch and lose over 50,000 topics... We chose the former.

Here are a few ideas off the top of my head...
-- I agree with Stretch that creating another forum on top of the one we have now will just cause some more confusion and add to the number of double and cross posts we have here already.

-- I do like Amish's idea of giving you guys full control of most of the Engine/Drivetrain sections. You can keep the tightest control you see fit, post links to already answered questions (through your forum and articles), etc...

-- Furthermore, Would it be possible to give you guys control over writing/posting articles on the website too. This might seem a bit harsh, but doing this would for sure give the article more traffic and could still provide a link back to your forum if they have more questions about it. As mentiond above, we use Moveabletype to update the site and it is very easy to use, can be used for mass production of articles and easily be changed to only show one article at a time (Either by archive or on the articles page in general). The website already has a lot of information on it, it's in a centralized location... It simply just needs to be utilized.

These may have been touched upon already, but just wanted to clarify it a bit more.

And just to touch on some other issues as well...
-- Now that I am an admin, I can try to work on some of the board problems and fix them as they come along depending on what level of degree it will take to fix them. If anyone remembers back when the boards were down over the weekend (and sometimes a week), the backlash we got from everyone as to when they were coming back up was huge. And who knows if we run into to troubles during the fix, it could further delay it. I know it would help the community by fixing them, but look at how the community has been responding since we started locking pointless threads, threads that have gone WAY too far, etc. As I have said before in some of my other threads about this subject.. We're damned if de and damned if we don't. I will say that this is limited to a certain few individuals right now... but that could grow as time goes on.

-- To help with this better "policing" the forums, we added 3 more mods to our group. And even one that is not in NA. This way we can atleast have a mod on past midnight US time (well atleast one that's not drunk :beer :) ) and still take care of posts. The Mods are the face of the community right now because there are more mods than admins. They are out ther eposting more and talking to more of the members. But believe it or not.. you 6Tech guys are very popular on here as well. I still see posts asking for your guys' help about car engine trouble, brake problems, having Greg read off PCM codes... It's very helpful and not something we want to lose.

Anyways... I hoep that gives you guys something to chew on for a while.

But again just wanted to thank those of you 6tech guys for actually coming to talk here and great that we are all civilized. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Thanks, Absolut. Anyone else?

I was wondering, in particular, what Jay thought, being that he is the most tech-oriented guy here.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: What does the Mazda6club want from us?

Speaking of "tech"

Who is the Mz6 Tech Guru on the team?

Just wondering. Because I have PMed a few in the past and never got any response.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

Wow, lots of talk went on over the weekend while I was out of town :p I agree with basically everything Tony suggested. I'm kind of tired right now, so I'll probably repond a bit more later.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Originally posted by MARKPMM

Speaking of "tech"

Who is the Mz6 Tech Guru on the team?

Just wondering. Because I have PMed a few in the past and never got any response.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

Mark we really don't have a resident tech, nor do we technically need one such as a moderator. The job of a moderator to us is not to provide the info asked for, but to help guide those people asking the questions to where the answer can be found and generaly keep the peace on the forums. Though that being said LBJay probably knows the most as far as car-tech goes.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts