Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of moderators online right now. Chime in.

Please understand the following are not up for bargaining:
- We are not taking down our site; too much work has gone into it at this point.
- We are not giving up control of our site; we want (and to a large extent NEED) that.

That said, what does the Mazda6club want from us? What ideas have you all tossed around?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: What does the Mazda6club want from us?

So then what ARE you willing to give up?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'What does the Mazda6club want from us?'

I'm writing my response right now, I'll be done im a few minutes....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I don't think any of us expected that you would take down your site. That's unreasonable at this point and you guys have done a great job on it.

The way I see it, from the recent dialog, is that the common thing we seem to agree on is that it would’ve be nice to have just one 6 community where people could find everything they needed.

We (the 6club) fear a splintering now that will make it difficult to find all things 6 related in one place because information is spread out over different sites. Two sites right now, but who knows how many in the future.

The 6Tech guys where getting frustrated with the lack of an organized and strictly moderated “get your technical answers here” section. I take it you felt you weren’t getting anything accomplished as far as moving forward with technical knowledge because of answering the same tech questions over and over because of the current setup our board.

Given the current situation, we can’t achieve a completely ‘one stop shop’ anymore. So what I see as the possibilities are.

(1) An exclusive linking arrangement. Stretch suggested it as well. Basically only allow linking from our site.

(2) Possibly building a search feature in the tech sections of each board that will run a search query against both boards. That’s probably as close as we can get now to One Stop Shopping.

(3) You guys could even link to our already created Gallery section. That way there’d still be only one gallery section for the 6 community.

Basically whatever we can share (from this juncture on) in order to keep the community together should be what we aim for I think.

Also I recommend we keep this section open so we don’t let the misunderstanding and misinterpretations happen again. I know I’m guilty of it too.

…comments?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

yeah we really had no intent to have a "community" like mazda6club. The less we offered besides the tech stuff the better in our opinion... #2 may take a while to implement :p that would have to be some creative programming probably. #1... i think i understand what you mean... that we only allow offsite linking to mazda6club, we dont want our stuff just linked around everywhere because we spent a lot of time making the articles and such. If there is a question easily answered by a subject on 6tech, are we free to post the link to the topic or article?

Your suggestions fall into what we feel we would do so i think you did a good job in your few minutes (half HOUR!)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Since I don't do OpenBB coding, I'm interested in how much of what I suggested is possible.

Originally posted by g-cubed
..If there is a question easily answered by a subject on 6tech, are we free to post the link to the topic or article?
I would vote for yes...we could start treating your site like..basically a sponsor. That way 6tech would have linking rights that other boards/companies wouldn't

Your suggestions fall into what we feel we would do so i think you did a good job in your few minutes (half HOUR!)
Time flies when you're havin fun :D

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

well i am sure the search in some roundabout way is possible, but you would have to know the structure of the databases behind it, and it would probably be slow... hmm come to think of it... possible, but not probable :p

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Well, if it turns out that it isn't possible, or just impractical, than we could pass parameters to a search page on each of our sites. So, for example, someone runs a search on your site..at the end of the search they see another option that says..”for more possible info..<click here>”. That "click here" link would pass the words search for to a search page on our site…and vise versa.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

With two different bulletin boards, integrating a seach is going to be tough work. Integrating users (if you were interested in that) would be equally difficult. I'm not sure these are realistic possibilities, even though I'd wish them to be so.

Passing parameters, on the other hand, is pretty simple stuff. That's a good idea. But if the results are going to come from the site, why not just link to their search page in the first place? :p

Anyway, in the meantime, do you just want to swap links? It'd be a way of showing cooperation until the technical details are worked out. That's really what I'm hoping for from all this- cooperation. Would you create a static forum entitled "Technical Forums" that pointed to us if we created one that pointed back to you? I'm all ears as for how you want to format that, but I think it's an easy first step.

If the Mazda6club were going to switch to a different type of forum software (I don't know what the latest word on that is), I think now would be the time to do it.

So then what ARE you willing to give up?
I'm willing to drop unconstructive comments like that. What's with the tone so early in this discussion? I, for one, will admit to being "tense" discussing this stuff, because I want it to work out for everyone. When you lash out like that, it sets me off and Mark has to calm me down again.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Anyone else want to chime in? Alial was the only one, really, though I've talked to some mods via AOL. Repeat your thoughts here just to have them on record, please. I'm jumping ahead of this conversation by skipping to possible resolutions, but I started this thread simply to see what ya'll wanted. Your turn to talk. :)

I think I outlined our feelings pretty well in the letters to Guju, as well as our initial ideas for cooperation.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I can see you're all online, but not in this room.

THINK OUT LOUD!

It's more interesting, and then we can build on each others' ideas. You never know when you might strike up an idea that interests both parties, are that can evolve into one that might do so.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by Stretch
Passing parameters, on the other hand, is pretty simple stuff.  That's a good idea.  But if the results are going to come from the site, why not just link to their search page in the first place?  :p
Point taken, I just thought it would be a little bit more user friendly that's all

Anyway, in the meantime, do you just want to swap links?  It'd be a way of showing cooperation until the technical details are worked out.  That's really what I'm hoping for from all this- cooperation.  Would you create a static forum entitled "Technical Forums" that pointed to us if we created one that pointed back to you?  I'm all ears as for how you want to format that, but I think it's an easy first step.
I agree, that would be a good start.

If the Mazda6club were going to switch to a different type of forum software (I don't know what the latest word on that is), I think now would be the time to do it.
Don't know enough about that stuff to answer.

We'll I've go to get to bed...early morning for me tomorrow. Tomorrow we'll get more feedback from our mods i'm sure. So we'll have to see what other opinions exist. I think this has been a pretty constructive day. It's good we're all talking.

Have a good night guys :zzz Talk ta ya in the AM.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Here, I'll start.

The first idea I proposed to our group (6tech) was to see if Amish would be interested in hosting our site, completely as is, but as a subdomain of mazda6tech. Thus integration would be much easier, as all the databases would be on the same server. The two forums would still be segregated.

Ultimately, this idea was veto'd on the grounds that we did not expect to have full control of our site if it were a subdomain of Mazda6club. Due to the way 6tech has been received, we do not want to (and I hope you understand why) put our site in a location where it is vulnerable to control by a member outside of our group.

Anyway, that's an idea we tossed around, and our reasoning behind it. What ideas have you guys thrown around? I'd love some feedback.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

I really think we need to keep this going..

Great first day progress IMHO

You guys talk it over and let Stretch,G and Cross know what you are thinking about this.

Absolut and Dave have my number.

Call if you need me..

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts

Here's what I personally see.

:: website ::

I don't see the need for 2 websites.

Forums, okay, sure, maybe, but website? No.

Tony and myself have put a lot into finally getting our website up, I don't see why we can't keep one website? The point of us getting our website up, was so that all these questions that keep coming up, could be archived, and added to the site. If anyone asks a question, boom, link up to it on the website.

We use movabletype to update the website, which I can easily create user accounts for, so you guys can update that portion. I have no problem in doing so.

I've taken a look at your site, and it seems that it would take just a hour or two of copy and pasting, and we could move all your info to our website. As it is, there is a TON of info in which Tony has entered (much of it, I believe has been written by you Steve if i'm correct).

:: forum ::

okay from the first reply, its seem you don't want to drop your forum. However this is what I see.

We've got our: Technical / Performance / Model section.

Why not make a sub area, which YOU guys moderator, which you can mod however you'd like, as strick as you like. We can name it whatever you'd like "highly technical area, bewarned!" or something along those lines.

If not a sub area, then you guys take over that whole section all together. boom done. You guys are the technical guys, why not run that whole section? You guys can have your own techmod area for your personally chatting and what not. sub sections could be made in each section, such as:

Engine / Drivetrain
- FAQ
Suspension / Brakes
- FAQ

In those FAQ sections, is where questions are asked, answered by mods, locked, and put in the FAQ section. Also later posted on the website as well.

I dunno, I've thrown out several ideas that have been floating in my head all day long. And I know i'll have others tomorrow as I sleep over it.

Here's where I come from. A lot of you guys think that I only see this as a website, and something on the side. Sure maybe so. Maybe I don't post a lot here as well. That doesn't mean i'm not here on this site. I lurk a ton, and I speak with some of my mods on a DAILY basis about anything happening on the site.

I'm EXTREMELY active in the Protege community. I have been for SEVERAL years. I've seen one protege site, start, into about 20+. Want me to name them? I certainly can.

The local board that I admin (bcmazda.com) use to be called mpsport.net (mazda protege sport). The other admin, who was the FIRST person to get a MP3, the FIRST person to get the Mazdaspeed, and also a RX8, and now a Mazda3, is a good friend of mine. He has extremely close ties with Mazda Canada, which was how he was the first person to get a Mazdaspeed, WEEKS before its release. Our club has monthly dinner meets.

A few of us technical guys, meet up EVERY sunday at my friends workplace where we work on out cars. He's currently working on the first black turbo stage 3 protege, which i'm positive you'll hear of soon.

You all know I work at my dad's cnc machine shop, were last year we were extremely busy. I've been desiging parts at my dad's shop for our cars. I started small with battery tie downs, and oil caps. I've been working on lower tie bars as we speak. I've sold tons of my parts, with nothing but great comments.

I would love to start making parts for the mazda6. I've been asking my dad about trading it (protege to mazda6), but since we're slow at work, it hasn't been a option right now. Hopefully sometime this year, a trade may be in place, and you'll see more of me here, posting in more threads.

Where am I going with this? Ask the protege community. We'd prefer one website, rather to the 20. Okay so I don't see them all on a daily basis, but I do visit about 5 of them. 5 boards, a day. How much I see the same on every board, tons. The protege community would be much better if things were brought together. But its been about 3-4 years now, and that won't happen.

I DO NOT want to see this happening to the Mazda6 community, but because I've seen it happen once, I can see it happening again.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts

Originally posted by Stretch

Here, I'll start.

The first idea I proposed to our group (6tech) was to see if Amish would be interested in hosting our site, completely as is, but as a subdomain of mazda6tech.  Thus integration would be much easier, as all the databases would be on the same server.  The two forums would still be segregated.
lol, thats funny. I think it was yesterday I was talking with Tony online, and I mentioned, that you guys should of called the site: mazda6techclub.com ;)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: What does the Mazda6club want from us?

Hey, guys, this is great! There is some real communication going on here. I'm really impressed with the way the issues have been laid out frankly and honestly.

I see we still have a ways to go on developing the "big picture" of how far the integration will progress. However, it seems we may have achieved a great first start with the immediate linking idea. I'm all for that.

Anyway, some of you guys know I'm not that computer savvy so my suggestions as far as the details of the integration will be left to those with the knowledge. However, whatever I can do I will do.

Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts