Mazda 6 Forums banner

what does a carbon fiber hood truely do

8K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Spazdog 
#1 ·
i know it sheds like alot of weight cause them things are light as paper pretty much but besides that what does it honestly do for 600-1000 dollars

#4 ·
it's the only reason you have anything made in CF, it's lighter. you can get one with vents to extract heat and whatnot if you want....but CF overall is a strong weight saver.

#8 ·
QUOTE (XsillyputtyX @ Feb 5 2010, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635131
its a step in the right (wrong) direction to this...

or this[/b]
:hammerhea:

That weird primer grey Accord-vette thing's driver lives in Arlington or Kennedale. I used to see it all the time.

But as far as the OP's question, it sheds a few lbs., looks "fancy", and keeps hood pin manufacturers in business.

#9 ·
Carbon fiber IS a weight saver, yet not one automobile manufacturer has switched from metal to carbon fiber. Why (or why not)? It's dangerous. The car is more difficult to control at higher speeds and affords less protection in crashes. Plus it looks like total shit. Do something more productive with your money--send it to me and I'll invest it for you. And just drive the damn car--stop modifying it. The only people who think a fiberglass modification is cool are other nutcases...

#10 ·
QUOTE (21drfrank @ Feb 6 2010, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635254
Plus it looks like total shit. Do something more productive with your money--send it to me and I'll invest it for you. And just drive the damn car--stop modifying it. The only people who think a fiberglass modification is cool are other nutcases...[/b]
Somebody doesn't get enough sex... :sarc:

I love carbon fiber... :love:

#11 ·
QUOTE (21drfrank @ Feb 6 2010, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635254
Carbon fiber IS a weight saver, yet not one automobile manufacturer has switched from metal to carbon fiber. Why (or why not)? It's dangerous. The car is more difficult to control at higher speeds and affords less protection in crashes. Plus it looks like total shit. Do something more productive with your money--send it to me and I'll invest it for you. And just drive the damn car--stop modifying it. The only people who think a fiberglass modification is cool are other nutcases...[/b]
Actually the new Corvette ZR1 uses CF quite extensively. I love the look, and weight savings, of CF.

#13 ·
If OEMs don't use it for entry level cars, it must be worthless. :)

Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter. It is used on race cars air vehicles, etc, etc, so you get people thinking their import instantly became a race car because they bought an ebay b-grade c/f hood and slapped it on. Others buy it because the of the functionality. Some just like the way the texture looks. Those are the basic reasons why.

#14 ·
Does a great job of making your car look like it's owned by an 18 year old who can't afford to get his hood painted.

Oh, and sheds weight. Does wonder for your freeway on-ramp times. You know, because everyone with one is driving a race car.

#15 ·
...i have a hood and trunk, shaved just over 50lbs, what's wrong with that.

if people want to bash it, they are more than welcome to, but the fact is, it's made for weight savings. it can be painted stock if you don't like the color as well, sounds like people don't know that. it's a mod like anything else, with a higher price. same goes for changing bulb colors...at least the cf parts have purpose.

again, i'm talking about what the OP said in regards to a CF hood. not CF wrapped, or fake CF or parts painted to look CF....a CF hood.

so says the ricer i guess

#16 ·
QUOTE (MrTea @ Feb 7 2010, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635312
...i have a hood and trunk, shaved just over 50lbs, what's wrong with that.

if people want to bash it, they are more than welcome to, but the fact is, it's made for weight savings. it can be painted stock if you don't like the color as well, sounds like people don't know that. it's a mod like anything else, with a higher price. same goes for changing bulb colors...at least the cf parts have purpose.

again, i'm talking about what the OP said in regards to a CF hood. not CF wrapped, or fake CF or parts painted to look CF....a CF hood.

so says the ricer i guess[/b]
EXACTLY! I'm with Tea on this one - my hood and trunk save a decent amount of weight. Poke fun at me all you want...

#17 ·
QUOTE (Egierda @ Feb 7 2010, 04:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635397
EXACTLY! I'm with Tea on this one - my hood and trunk save a decent amount of weight. Poke fun at me all you want...[/b]

I love my CF Hood.....Definitely reduced the weight of the car and the vents reduce underhood heat......obvious in the summertime. Also the timing doesn't back off as bad with the common heat soak problem with the V6

#18 ·
QUOTE (21drfrank @ Feb 6 2010, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635254
Carbon fiber IS a weight saver, yet not one automobile manufacturer has switched from metal to carbon fiber. Why (or why not)? It's dangerous. The car is more difficult to control at higher speeds and affords less protection in crashes. Plus it looks like total shit. Do something more productive with your money--send it to me and I'll invest it for you. And just drive the damn car--stop modifying it. The only people who think a fiberglass modification is cool are other nutcases...[/b]

Wow, you must be stuck in the 90s. Thats a pretty bold statement when CF is now used so much w/ Formula one and many race teams and now, many manufacturers incorporate CF in thir designs.

When you see a E92 M3, Go peek at the roof.
The Lexus LF-A, over 65% of the Chasis is Carbon.
ZR-1, ALOT of the body is painted CF.

Also, elaborate why its dangerous. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I sure wouldn't invest MY money w/ you since you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

#19 ·
QUOTE (yoichi @ Feb 12 2010, 11:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636537
Wow, you must be stuck in the 90s.

When you see a E92 M3, Go peek at the roof.
The Lexus LF-A, over 65% of the Chasis is Carbon.
ZR-1, ALOT of the body is painted CF.

I sure wouldn't invest MY money w/ you since you don't know what you're talking about.[/b]

You are also forgetting the $21k hood from Shelby on the GT500KR and it is painted and crash tested as well

#20 ·
QUOTE (KarlT10 @ Feb 6 2010, 10:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635307
Does a great job of making your car look like it's owned by an 18 year old who can't afford to get his hood painted.[/b]
Plus fucking one. I can't stand the look of CF...looks like the car was acquired from the mismatched body part ricer bargain store.

If it's painted, though, it's perfectly fine, although I don't quite think the weight savings is worth the price of the CF+paint.

The only thing I don't like about the M3 is the CF roof...if I ever end up getting one, the first stop after I leave the dealer will be the body shop to get that thing painted.

#22 ·
again, i might be different, but i don't have an interior....stereo, center console, carpet, belts....so, am i ok?

the OP asked about CF parts, not for his daily driven 6 or any car in particular...general questions can be understood to mean whatever the reader wants unfortunatly. if the OP said what's it do for "the 6", then i'd say it's cheaper that a OEM hood if you insurance is buying, but that would be the only time i go for it. Given, i've had 5 on my car at this point now i think.

#23 ·
WTF is going on? I just typed a reply to Tea, hit 'Add' and was taken back to the main menu with no post made.....

#25 ·
What about that whole, "...carbon fiber hood will shear off the hinge mounts and decapitate you in a frontal collision..." argument that was popular a few years ago?

To me, it doesn't make sense. If it shears off the hinges, wouldn't it continue to shatter on impact with the windshield and A-pillars? But I'm not an engineer nor do I have the resources to equip a bunch of cars with carbon fiber hoods and slam them into things to attempt to decapitate a crash test dummy.

I still say that it's a plot to keep hood pin manufacturers in business... :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.