Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start using fully synthetic 5w20 oil in my new 2006 6i. Right now i am considering:

-Royal Purple
-Amsoil
-Mobil

Which does everyone on this forum prefer and why? Feel free to recommend something else.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Getting ready to start using fully synthetic 5w20 oil in my new 2006 6i. Right now i am considering:

-Royal Purple
-Amsoil
-Mobil
Which does everyone on this forum prefer and why? Feel free to recommend something else.
[/b]
Hmmmm? ON that list, the Proven Oil is Amsoil. The spend money on the name is MOBIL. And Royal Purple
would be a preference of the buyer only.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I was using Mobil 1 5w-20 for a while, worked well but it's impossible to get a hold of so I gave up :(

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mobil 1 man also. The car runs so smooth with 0w20. For some reason the car runs better with that formula, than the 5w.
[/b]

OK, that brings up another question. What are the reasons to try 0w20? Would it void my warranty? Does anyone besides mobil1 make a 0w20?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mobil all the way. My dad got me into it. We have 3 cars that are over 200,000 miles and running strong (1 is now my cousins). We've run nothing but Mobil 1 in them since it came out. Makes the cars run smooth also.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Redline 5w-20 has a POE (poly ester-based) basestock. Most off the shelf synthetics use a PAO (polyalphaolefin) basestock with some POE mixing.

Esters cost alot more then PAO's, which is why all the mainstream stuff sticks with them to keep costs down.

Don't know what any of this means? Google! Bobistheoilguy!

Or read this and get a headache.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=001190#000000

If it was wildy available, the German Castrol 0w-30 Green edition is quite possibly one of the best oils ever made. I'd use it in a 6s, an MPS 6, and a subaru sti, and get the same incredible wear numbers.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Redline 5w-20 has a POE (poly ester-based) basestock. Most off the shelf synthetics use a PAO (polyalphaolefin) basestock with some POE mixing.

Esters cost alot more then PAO's, which is why all the mainstream stuff sticks with them to keep costs down.

Don't know what any of this means? Google! Bobistheoilguy!

Or read this and get a headache.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=001190#000000

If it was wildy available, the German Castrol 0w-30 Green edition is quite possibly one of the best oils ever made. I'd use it in a 6s, an MPS 6, and a subaru sti, and get the same incredible wear numbers.
[/b]

I wondered what was so great about redline. Many people swear by it. I'm guessing it is pretty expensive by what you were saying.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I've strictly run Mobil1. Its available everywhere and has solid results in this engine. Don't get confused with the new blends that they put out a year ago, although they are probably just as protective while requiring more frequent changes.

If you order it from

http://www.myoilshop.com

It comes to about 7 dollars a qt if you buy them by the case. Thats actually cheaper then mobil1 15k now.
[/b]
I used to live right by this warehouse...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am using the Redline MT-90 fluid in my transmission so I was planning on using Redline motor oil in my next change and then stay with a full synthetic. But I see that Redline only offers a 5w20 as a racing oil and they do not reccomend that for street use.
Quote "Red Line has a complete line of race oils strictly for use in racing applications. They differ from the Motor Oils in that they contain no detergents and consequently have a slightly better ability to reduce friction, but they are not suitable for long-term street use which sees some low-temperature operation."
And I don't see on their website a "street version" of the 5W20. Dang...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Royal Purple is the best synthetic oil. I've used a lot of different brands, and Royal Purple has the lowest viscosity. Viscosity and price are about the only things you can use to compare synthetic oils. They all work the same, but some have less drag than others.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’ve been thinking about switching to AMSOIL, since my Dad uses all of their products, mainly because his friend is a reseller. I’ve heard if you drive around 15,000 miles a year, you only have to change oil and filter twice a year. What are people’s thoughts on driving 7500 miles with AMSOIL? I’m a little skeptical of it, that’s why I ask.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I’ve been thinking about switching to AMSOIL, since my Dad uses all of their products, mainly because his friend is a reseller. I’ve heard if you drive around 15,000 miles a year, you only have to change oil and filter twice a year. What are people’s thoughts on driving 7500 miles with AMSOIL? I’m a little skeptical of it, that’s why I ask.
[/b]
With Amsoil. I would not even flinch.
Many moons ago, when the build of an engine for mass production was a guess, at most, Amsoil was too far advanced to really be worth the $$.
Yet, as the engineering improved with CADD/CATIA/D-scope etc.., the margins of error and tolerance are down from .05 to .005. A BIG difference in 15 years. Amsoil today is just as worthy and more so than the "Brand Names".
And with such tight MFG, I would easily run 7500 without a worry. Yet, just like any oil or SYN: When it is contaminated, it needs to be changed.
Just changing color any more is not an indicator of internal breakdown... Smell it.. Even when Syn's break down, they smell burnt.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I actually just put RP in last night and I can say that the enging is a but quieter than it was with Mobile1 0-20, but it is all premature right now as I have only driven the car three times since the oil was changed.

It truely is purple in hue though... and I just thought it was a name.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
20 Participants
OddsNEnds
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing