Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious today and decided to see if there were any updates for a tune of the 2.5 liter turbo engine. I recently found a JB4 tuner that has a map made by burger motorsports for the Mazda 6, Mazda3, and CX variants. Burger motorsports were able to get 40 whp gains and 50 wtq gains from the factory which is amazing. I'm looking at potentially 300 hp at the crank which is quite nice! I am really interested in the final result. It seems to still be in beta phases which means that 40 whp and 50 wtq gains aren't final. They are also looking at e85 compatible maps for even higher gains. I am signed up for updates. I will probably get one if it releases and if it seems good enough. Knowing Burger Motorsports it should be good. I am happy to finally see a company move on to tune this engine and provide proof of it working. The gains look great! Looking at these graphs I can see more top-end power as well! The image below is the Mazda3 power gains but it should be roughly the same for the Mazda6. Tell me what you all think about this.

If you want more info here is a link to the Burger Motorsports website for this tune:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Looks tempting because it's plug and play. However, OVT is (or was) well established with the Mazda community.

It's unfortunate that OVT went "mainstream"...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was curious today and decided to see if there were any updates for a tune of the 2.5 liter turbo engine. I recently found a JB4 tuner that has a map made by burger motorsports for the Mazda 6, Mazda3, and CX variants. Burger motorsports were able to get 40 whp gains and 50 wtq gains from the factory which is amazing. I'm looking at potentially 300 hp at the crank which is quite nice! I am really interested in the final result. It seems to still be in beta phases which means that 40 whp and 50 wtq gains aren't final. They are also looking at e85 compatible maps for even higher gains. I am signed up for updates. I will probably get one if it releases and if it seems good enough. Knowing Burger Motorsports it should be good. I am happy to finally see a company move on to tune this engine and provide proof of it working. The gains look great! Looking at these graphs I can see more top-end power as well! The image below is the Mazda3 power gains but it should be roughly the same for the Mazda6. Tell me what you all think about this.

If you want more info here is a link to the Burger Motorsports website for this tune:

View attachment 242649
uhhh that had better not be their final tune. the final result should be a much much smother line like this. they wont look exactly the same but having it that bumpy isnt good for the engine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uhhh that had better not be their final tune. the final result should be a much much smother line like this. they wont look exactly the same but having it that bumpy isnt good for the engine
View attachment 242654
Yeah, I don't think it's final. I emailed them and they said that those dyno runs were done during the first few tests of the maps. I am Assuming that the gains aren't final either. The new results should be better when they are released. They are working on remapping the MAF wires so the ratios and boost are more stable. They are gonna get it together and hopefully, the map will be released with these new wires as well. Looking at the final tunes they for other cars have the lines do seem more smooth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive found this a couple weeks ago. I dont know much about tunes or Burger but after some reading it looks like they are a well respected company and for me i like the pros of the jb4. If people run this and it proves to be reliable i will definatly be getting one, i just dont want to be a ginnie pig lol.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Ive found this a couple weeks ago. I dont know much about tunes or Burger but after some reading it looks like they are a well respected company and for me i like the pros of the jb4. If people run this and it proves to be reliable i will definatly be getting one, i just dont want to be a ginnie pig lol.
Thats the problem with crap like this, some schmuck who is popular on a forum gets it and says "nothing is wrong with my car" simply cause the shit didnt blow right away and all of a sudden, this piece is "trusted" and it just snowballs. You cant plug something in and intercept signals and call it "tuning", what youre doing is fucking with the ECU and FOOLING it into thinking the parameters are "here" when they are actually "way the fuck over there". I dont know how old you are, but think Apexi AFC type tuning. Youre allowing more air in and telling the ECU its actually lean so it dumps more fuel in.

If weve learned anything at all, @WoodinvilleDan and his S/C install logs tell us the ECU is more than capable of compensating for the increased air and doing it properly. This doesnt mean you still dont need a tune to optimize it. So that makes this "unit" even less of an option for consideration in my educated opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only time will tell. We will see what happens and how the ECU handles it. I have a warranty on my car. From what I can tell through research, there is no trace of the JB4 being inside the car when it is removed so my warranty will cover any potential damage that occurs. I'm still gonna wait a month or two and hear from others about it. When I finally do make a move to get it I will make a review thread about it..

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
From what I can tell through research, there is no trace of the JB4 being inside the car when it is removed so my warranty will cover any potential damage that occurs.
Right and when the pistons melt on a "stock tune" the dealer is gonna go "hmm, i wonder how that happened, i guess we'll give you a new motor!"...

·
Registered
49 Posts

View attachment 242649

260whp 347ft-lbs AWD
Maybe 270whp 360ft-lbs on FWD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts