Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
With all the road I'm eating, mainly for my job, I developped a couple of tricks to insult/reply to a $%[email protected]# that cut you, tailgate, etc, on the road. These people often drive Civics...but Neons and other Corsicas of this world seems to take over :D

I don't know why, but some tricks seem to be more effective than the casual finger...

So I would like to hear about your tricks, without falling into easiness or provoking road rage or something.

Trick #1 : Have an uglier/older car than the other guy, so they are scared of you scratching their rides...

Trick #2 : (most effective so far) Applaud them! This is not an offensive move (you can do it in front if the family).

So, let me know your trick!

·
Registered
215 Posts
trick #3: have a big ass beater truck, that way if they cut you off you can just run them over...and i doubt they'd tailgate you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I get tail gated I love to go slower than the speed limit. That usually gets them pretty heated. [/b]
hahaha i do that all the time (which means i get tailgate alot >.>) fun to see how long they would actually stay there before changing lane...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I find the closest and biggest transport truck and match its speed until i'm ready to let the guy go.

My wife has become accustomed to this trick, and will usually turn around to see why, smile, and tunr back around continue with her conversation.

If I am near a hospital zone I leave it alone as they potentially could be headed there.

Also anyone from hamilton would be familiar with the "Linc" cop haven. When I'm driving this, I will often let the driver pass me, and then i will keep his pace a half km back. When I see the cop lights come on....I will eventually catch up...honk my horn, and wave to the guy :).

9/10 I will also know the officer that pulled him over...so its a double win for me on that one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I get tail gated I love to go slower than the speed limit. That usually gets them pretty heated.
[/b]

That's never a good idea. Granted some people are chronic tailgaters with all around bad road manners (who I too would like to get back at), but think about it - some of them may NEED to get somewhere fast. Plus, annoying people on the road is a bad idea since everyone feels more empowered in a vehicle and are much more likely to act irrationally.

If someone wants to get by you and you're in the left lane, the right thing to do is pull to the right lane as soon as possible. Unfortunatley many americans fail to realize this.

Even if I'm driving along on the highway faster than the speed limit, if I see someone coming up on me, I pull to the right to let them pass.

I almost think people who refuse to give up the left lane to faster traffic are just as bad as people who tailgate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I see a ricer, I give them the thumbs up with a gay look on my face.

If someone is tailgating me with their brights on, I give em a taste of the old 3 million candle power spotlight. I don't do it directly in their eye. I just give it a flash because it's possible that they just forgot they had them on. It's just my polite way of saying "you're making me blind."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I see a ricer, I give them the thumbs up with a gay look on my face.
[/b]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's exactly what I was looking for!

I also know a guy who jumped his wires for those white backup lights. He lit them up when someone is tailgating. Seems to do the job...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
That's never a good idea. Granted some people are chronic tailgaters with all around bad road manners (who I too would like to get back at), but think about it - some of them may NEED to get somewhere fast. Plus, annoying people on the road is a bad idea since everyone feels more empowered in a vehicle and are much more likely to act irrationally.

If someone wants to get by you and you're in the left lane, the right thing to do is pull to the right lane as soon as possible. Unfortunatley many americans fail to realize this.

Even if I'm driving along on the highway faster than the speed limit, if I see someone coming up on me, I pull to the right to let them pass.

I almost think people who refuse to give up the left lane to faster traffic are just as bad as people who tailgate. [/b]
My mother, God rest her soul, used to say "I just get in the left lane and travel at MY pace...they can just go around me" NO amount of reasoning or arguing with her would accomplish anything. I imagine there was a long list of drivers who hated her without even knowing her. I simply would not ride in a car with her unless I was driving.

That having been said, the real danger of doing the "slow down" trick, unless you've pulled over to the right and/or have left the offending tailgater some access to get around you is that you're contributing to an unsafe situation. The tailgater, being less than a careful driver, is getting aggrivated at the "slowpoke" in front of him and starts looking for a way around. The problem is he might not exercise good sense or caution in doing it, and cause an accident. Now, its true that accident isnt YOUR fault but if you're close enough you could also be involved in it. He could even have the accident with you if he tries some sort of a bonehead passing manuver and doesn't make it. Even if you're not involved, I think we all have a responsibility to either avoid or not contribute to situations that could cause an accident or even a close call.

I sincerely hope Mom was never the cause of any accidents

Illinois, by the way, has a law on the books against people poking along in the left lane. I'm not sure of the exact wording but theoretically you're not supposed to just travel in the left lane on an expressway or multi-lane highway unless you're passing slower traffic. I have no idea if the law has ever been enforced or if any citations have ever been issued, but the intent was to help traffic flow and get the people like Mom to move over and let faster traffic thru.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Usually i don't do anything to be honest, if i'm being tailgated i will maintain my speed and let the driver behind me fester. There have only been two times where i have lost my cool and provoked another driver. They both happened on the same little road near my house. It has lots of twist and turns and at night people like speeding on it. I regret both of those encounters and will not post the details because they do not depict responsible driving. They were justified in my mind, at the time at least.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
hahaha i do that all the time (which means i get tailgate alot >.>) fun to see how long they would actually stay there before changing lane...
[/b]

Ha ha ... next time think about the reason why the person behind you is speeding in the first place. More often then not, people have a reason, and even though they should not be it is not your place to "help" the situation by slowing down even more... If somone tails me, in a 2 lane road, I get out of their way, and would LOVE IT when the courtesy is extended to me instead of somone always taking it personal. Granted there are idiots that do it for no reason but its best to let them by as well...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I had a guy get out of his car and chase my car through and intersection once. Then he got back in his car, and came after me. He was yelling at me to slow down while he was driving into oncoming traffic.

This all happened because I changed lanes instead of hitting my breaks when he decided to slow down while going down a hill.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Instead of flipping the finger, blow them a kiss.

I bought my buddy this flip-book. It's awesome. :D

http://www.roadrage.com/
[/b]
I do the same thing, I give em a little peck in the air.... It seems to enrage a WHOLE LOT MORE than the finger. Plus I can do it in the company van and what are they going to call about? I was blowing kisses in traffic? OH NO!..... If teh blowing kisses doesnt make em angry, and they really deserve something nasty, I just swerve at them... of crowd thier lane... yeah it could cause an accident... But my 6 has alll the airbags it can get... they are everywhere. so like... worst case senario I get the change the colour of my car!

but seriously.... don't speed and stuff... smokey the bear doesnt like it...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I just pretend like I can't hear a thing with my windows up.

Kinda like doing the Hollywood Hogan on them with the full arm swinging motion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Me and my friends pulled up to a gas station and next to us there was a guy filling up the tires or something of his Honda CR-V. One of us pointed at his huge ricer muffler and started laughing. Then as we walked by, one of us is like "...and it's a CR-V!" :laugh: We seriously couldn't help but laugh, even if we did want to be polite.

I'm pretty sure he could hear us but we didn't care. He diserved it. I don't think anyone ever pointed out to him that a CR-V is a 4 cylinder chick car and a fart can does nothing to help it's performance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've also done the kiss blowing thing. It really pisses off super macho ******** who are generally the ones in my area who cause the issues. My father in law will often wag his finger at people that cut him off, which, in practice, is pretty funny to watch because he's a pretty well known university professor/TV/Radio guy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts