Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Mazda 6 I with around 57800 miles on it. I was doing oil change last week and noticed my brake fluid is BLACK!

I know I shouldn't judge the fluid is bad by just the color, but it's black like the black ink in my printer catridges. Shouldn't it be yellowish or golden color?

I have a manual transmission which the clutch draws fluids from the brake fluid reservoir, doesn't it speed up the brake fluid to go bad?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed at least once every 2 years. Most people will tell you to do it once yearly. Since even the expensive brake fluid is still pretty cheap, its usually not a big expense, and helps maintain proper braking feel and seal longevity.

Remember that the clutch fluid is the same as the brake fluid also. So when you bleed your brakes, if you have an MTX, you should probably bleed your clutch as well.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...id=29&Itemid=49

·
Registered
805 Posts
Also, when you change your brake fluid and tranny fluid, remember to also change your blinker fluid!! You don't want that stuff going bad while trying to change lanes at 65 mph down the highway. :laugh:

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed at least once every 2 years. Most people will tell you to do it once yearly. Since even the expensive brake fluid is still pretty cheap, its usually not a big expense, and helps maintain proper braking feel and seal longevity.

Remember that the clutch fluid is the same as the brake fluid also. So when you bleed your brakes, if you have an MTX, you should probably bleed your clutch as well.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...id=29&Itemid=49
[/b]

Where is the bleeder valve for the clutch located?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Silver,

Follow the swirly metal line till it ends somewhere around the fan controller. (With airbox removed). You will need two people to bleed the clutch unless you have a speed bleeder.
[/b]
Ok...I have a bleeder with a check valve to allow one person bleeding. I haven't bled a hydraulic clutch before, but I would assume that you cycle the clutch pedal just like you would the brakes to bleed the clutch. Also I assume that there is not a bleeder on any of the abs valves or if there is that it probably should only be bled with the proper equipment. Is this correct?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks like some quality stuff, can we get a group buy goin on this? I really wish it would be good for 2 million blinks, but I guess 1.5 million is acceptable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just bled the brakes and clutch this weekend to flush the old fluid out. Interesting part was when bleeding the front calipers and clutch the first fluid that came out was bright flourescent green colored. I don't know if this was some sort of a dye they would have in the system to see if it was serviced before or if it was just a reaction with the fluid, but it was interesting looking.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Looks like some quality stuff, can we get a group buy goin on this? I really wish it would be good for 2 million blinks, but I guess 1.5 million is acceptable.
[/b]
And to think I'd actually paid for an HID kit when I could've just gotten this...sheez!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
dawei213
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing