Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted something about autox in another section of the forums but it doesn't seem very active. Are you guys in GS or DS, for those of you that have done it or have seen other 6s out there how well were you hanging with the competition. I realize these are newer cars so it will take some time for people to really get used to them, and for mods to be available, but do you seem them being cmpetitive on the regional and national level?

I'll be out there this summer at Miller Park in Milwaukee with my WRX, so if you're in the area maybe we can say hello. Us car nuts have to stick together :p

Ike

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to Topic 'What class in autox are you guys in?'

37 views and no one knows... Jeesh, and you call yourselves car enthusiasts! :p

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reading Topic: What class in autox are you guys in?

Only one person here has posted that they actually raced their '6 and they were in Class E.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Had a Mazda 6s do better than me in the last Auto-X I drove in. He was on racy compound tires. G-Stock.

I drive an SVT Focus (stock tires). Oh, and it was only my 2nd Auto-X :) (excuses, excuses, i know)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well... I'm in DS with my inline 4. If only I could get em to ignore that snail lookin thing that attachs to it maybe I could get in HS :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

It seems the SCCA has classed all Mazda6 in GS. Both V6 and I4. This is the first I've seen them list a class the Mazda6 so it must have been in the last few weeks.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003...ockm.html#Mazda

Guess we will see if the lighter weight of the 4 cyl can make up for the power of the V6. I plan to give it a try if it ever stops raining on weekends here in PA.

Side note:
Someone told me that the Farmers Almanac says we are going to have only 19 days of sunshine all summer!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts

I was in G/S last time. However, someone told me I should be in H/S.

Anyone knows what is the different between G/S and H/S??

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Who am I

I was in G/S last time.  However, someone told me I should be in H/S.

Anyone knows what is the different between G/S and H/S??[/b]
Perceived performance. All (well, most all) SCCA autocross classes group cars according to performance potential.

Since the Mazda6 is a new car they have placed it in GS based upon how they think it will do. After more people run the car and they have some hard data to judge the car, it may be reclassed or the V6 and I4 put in different classes (next year).

Sometimes before a car is officially classed, they put a car like the Mazda6 (sedan) in HS. HS is sort of a catch all class.

Apparently the SCCA feels that the lighter weight of the I4 gives it the same performance potential as the V6 on an Autocross course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts