Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been told by the stealership that i need new brakes.. i dont do any spirited driving (much) and i dont need anything fancy..

i also dont feel like spending $400+ on a stock set from the dealer (thats AFTER the discount for being a 6club member)

so, what do you guys reccomend?

i need pads and rotors, front and rear

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow - $400 is cheap. I was quoted $804.12 installed with taxes for all 4 corners.

I'm thinking of Carbotech rotors and Hawk HPS pads, and seeing which is cheaper for the install - local brake shop or stealership. The dealer quoted $133 for fronts and $133 for rears for installation labour if I show up with the parts.

Which dealer are you using Balhar?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
$400 is a good price

My aftermarket would ran about the same or more (without installation)

·
Registered
412 Posts
i agree, $400 is good for all around.. i paid $200 for front pads and rotors (aftermarket)..

·
Registered
635 Posts
my dealer offered me $360 (parts, labour & taxes incl.) for just the FRONT rotors and brakes ... good deal ?

OR I can get a set of Raybestos rotors and pads for $200 (taxes incl.) and get them installed elsewhere .. do I trust the dealer or get someone else to do it and save $60 ... hmmm ...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Balhar consider this...

RPm sells several types of brakes...a "good" set starts at $100 for an axel. your up to $200 US. Then you could posibly get your rotors turned, and re-use them. Whats that another $100?

Then by the time you do it yourself....maybe two hours for the car thats ~ $160 in labour. But that's what you saved in doing it yourself....

The decision is yours....$400 sounds like a good price from a dealer.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sunny if you bring in the parts to them.....you may pay the extra 2 hours in labour and it will still end up being $360. i'd say take it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
w00t !! I found a great guy who lives close to Ottawa to help me installing my brakes .. He's from the Ottawa Mazda club ... he's got amazing modding skills, just look here http://www.cardomain.com/id/brianmp5t ... a turbo'd P5, and he's working on a Porsche 944 right now ...

and I am getting parts from a performance shop here in ottawa that is very well known and trusted in the ottawa region :) ...

All this after joining the Ottawa Mazda club. Great local members and help.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice, well done Sunny :)

i dont think i'm gonna bother...i'll stop when i hit the car infront anyway...less effort, more effective

·
Registered
635 Posts
we got a modding community here to rival yours !!! Ottawa vs. Toronto battle !

joking :nana: :laugh: :laugh: ....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
We have a few talented members here each possesing their own skill sets.

i can do a ton with metal...bending pipe, the whole bit

Paul can do a lot of mechanical stuff...he could install the turbo for the pipe I bent....

Tim and Steve can do electronics and tuning...

Balhar can chug a pint in 3 secs

Richard use to race cars....

Our wifes can be our cheerleaders/support team/fan fare/grief causers......

There we go...we have a team with a skill set that can make a really well performing race car.

I say "BRING IT ON!"

<end threadjack>

So balhar are you going to the dealer to get your brakes done...or are you going to drive them till they are metal on metal first?

·
Registered
635 Posts
mine already are metal on metal ... make that grinding/squealing noise even when not braking ...

·
Registered
635 Posts
when i get a permanent full time job after I graduate, I am gonna buy my own go kart and race at the local tracks ... lot more fun for a lot less $$$ ...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts