Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have stock ATF in my 04 atx Jatco engine, i was wondering if i could get some input on which brands of tranny fluid show best results after doing a drain/fill?? (mobil1, redline, etc) Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Synthetic ATF's are the best.
But, IMO, the Jatco performs better with fresh ATF, regardless of the brand.

IMO, use any of the multivehicle or mercon-v ATFs. They are all synth blends.

I perform an ATF drain/refill at every oil change, usually 2-3 times a year.

I like the Pennzoil and Aamco fluids. I've noticed that the fluid looks less for wear with a little lubegard added. And, the tranny shifts better with it.

Badtlc, does the 2006 6i still use Mazda MV ATF?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Synthetic ATF's are the best.
I like the Pennzoil and Aamco fluids. I've noticed that the fluid looks less for wear with a little lubegard added. And, the tranny shifts better with it.

I do a drain-refill twice a year with Redline D4.

I was wondering how the Lubeguard performs. Did you get the Lubeguard Platinum in the silver bottle, and where did you buy it? I might try it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mobil 1 ATF is now Mercon V certified and is fully synthetic. The other Mercon V on the market (Aamco, Castrol, Valvoline etc) are only semi-synthetic / synthetic blends.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I know Castrol has a Mercon V semi-synth. I recently switched to the full synth Mobil 1 which is now Mercon V certified. This is the most significant and positive change I've ever felt from a fluid change.... The newer Mobil 1 ATF is well worth the $5 a quart IMO.

A basic drain and fill is only about 3.5 Qts, so you may want to do it 2x to get the full benefits... (Do a test run between changes if possible....)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lubegard can be purchased at Napa, on ebay, and at a bunch of online tranny parts stores.
I use the red. I didn't see the need for the black or platinum since I was using quality fluid. If using a cheap atf like standard mercon or dexron, I'd recommend the black or platinum. I don't think a regular ATF would take the heat and abuse of a jatco, even with lubegard.

Mobil1 ATF is now multivehicle. But, since I do a couple drain/refills a year, it would add to the expense. Synthetic ATFs don't cost $5 a quart anymore. Also, the Canadian Mobil1 ATF, from what I remember, is still just a DexronIII/Mercon and would need HFM assistance from Lubegard or Smartblend.

And, Mazda MV is Mazda MV, not MerconV or multivehicle. Per the MSDS, its an interesting blend composed of several higher/better group mineral base oils. Because of the smooth shift quality and shudderless TC lockup, I'm assuming it is friction modified(heavily) a step above DexronIII/Mercon, the way MerconV/Multivehicle ATFs are. Don't use a mildly or non-friction modified ATF.
As with most OEM ATFs, I'm not impressed with OEM ATF performance. Shift quality degradation was rapid(within 5k miles of usage). I don't feel that degradation with my store bought ATFs(aamco and Pennzoil MV).

Another option is the ATF+4 chrysler fluid. Its a full groupIII synthetic ATF that is HFM'd and priced appropriately. Valvoline and store brand ATF+4 is available at some autoparts stores. And, the OEM mopar stuff was priced competitively at wallyworld. I just picked up 7 quarts for my next 2 drain/refills. Yes, I will be using Chrysler ATF in my Mazda. I also have 2 Toyota guinea pigs to try it in. My reason is that I'm looking for a smooth shifting full synthetic at a reasonable price. ATF+4 is just that! I've already done some testing in Ford FWD and RWD transmissions. Its seems to perform better then MerconV.

·
Registered
510 Posts
So what are suitable replacement fluids for those that require the Mazda M-V fluid? Are there any?

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are NO suitable replacements for Mazda MV. But, I've been using Amsoil, Mobil1, Redline, and every brand of MerconV and multivehicle ATF with no problems.

Don't get hung up on suitable replacements. Just use a high quality blend or full synthetic ATF and practice reasonable fluid maintenance. Regardless of fluid chosen, an aftermarket ATF cooler and filter will help.

And, make sure you have the latest software for proper transmission function. If you have any shift issues, a complaint at the dealer will usually result in checking the software revision and updating if needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts