Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mitsucars.com/eclipsespyder/index.html

I know you folks do not approve of the Elvis factor...she would weigh in over 3700 lbs...but what else? Anything I should know? I was thinking of taking a test drive and mull over purchase...'reason being I sort of prefer the looks of the rag top to hard top...I did a search and there was nothing specific to the Eclipse Spyder ... Thanks... C6

·
Registered
531 Posts
I like it but again, like their previous spyders, it's pricey. I built it for 30k which is a little too much for what it is imo.

I love the interior though, it's definately unique and futuristic looking. The exterior is nice too esp. the front however the back is a little too rounded imo. And performance is a little lagging. Mitsu claims 6 seconds 0 60, but most of the reviews I've seen place it at around 6.5 with a 14.9 quarter which is pretty close to what our 220 hp v6 mtx gets. I wonder how many of these they expect to sell?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I didnt actually test drive the Spyder, but I've test drove a fully loaded Eclipse GT. It was the car I was looking at getting before I got my MS6. It is a decent car, but it really has to fit your lifestyle, moreso than a lot of cars really. It has an unusable back seat; unless the its for a pet, child in a car seat, or someone with no legs. Huge blindspots when driving. Unique, but sort of ugly back end. Front wheel drive, real easy to spin those tires (even easier cause I test drove in the rain). But there were some things I really liked about it. It has a very good driving position, its a really nice sports car cockpit type feel. The exhaust tone is decent. It gearbox and shifting is very good (upsets me that the ms6 isn't as clean). There is adaquate power there too, even for how heavy it is. But too, just like the MS6, you can really feel it in the corners. Decent car though, if its what you are looking for. It really stands out from other cars.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Nice car. Nice stereo. Cheap interior. WAY TOO MUCH torque steer. TERRIBLE gas mileage.

Drove it and agree with the fact that $35k is way too much for that car.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i like the looks but it is way to expensive for that car

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't really like convertables but for some reason convertable and FWD just don't go together in my head. I don't really have anything against the car, other than I hate the rear...I'd take a coupe for a test drive but unless there were some serious discounts I don't think I would ocnsider it.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,532 Posts
Uhh, no.

Car looks way out of proportion, plus it's heavy and overpriced.

C6, I figured you for the Mustang GT if you wanted a convertible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can't beliave that no one has stated the fact that the spyder is a chick car!!

Seeing one of these one the road means you drive by slow and check out the hottie (hopefully) behind the wheel. If a guy is driving you laugh because he is driving his girlfriends car.

If you like guys checking you out, get one. Otherwise spend the money on something else.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am truly saddened that Mitsu has strayed so far away from the mark with this car. I'm sure it is a nice car - for a secretary, or someone in a midlife crisis! I like the look, but don't like the weight penalty and "big block" V6. It reminds me of the late 80's Z-car. It was a nice car, but it just was never a Z in the truest sense.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This and the previous generation eclipse are nothing more than secretary's cars.
[/b]
That's absolutly not true!!!

They are administrative assistants.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I can't beliave that no one has stated the fact that the spyder is a chick car!!

Seeing one of these one the road means you drive by slow and check out the hottie (hopefully) behind the wheel. If a guy is driving you laugh because he is driving his girlfriends car.

If you like guys checking you out, get one. Otherwise spend the money on something else.
[/b]

In fact it is the #1Chick car! I agree with all of the prior posts, ill handling, overpriced, useless back seat, etc, etc.

·
Registered
752 Posts

[/b]

this is true. i always expect to see a 16 year old high school chick, or a 40 something loose woman trying to get some street cred cuz her life sux, driving an eclipse

1 - 20 of 24 Posts