Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEL popped up today while driving regularly. Car seems to drive normally, but still worried. My BIGGEST concern is with the dealer seeing my mods and voiding my warranty. I only have a CP-E intake and a BOV in recirc. Has anyone run into any problems with dealers and mods?

Secondly, my dealership said they couldn't squeeze me in for a few days... and since the CEL is not flashing it should not be a problem to drive my car in the meantime. any comments around that?

Lastly, I'm probably gonna get the reflash while I'm at the dealership. Hope I don't hate my car when it comes back

·
Registered
497 Posts
The dealer can't void the warrenty. It's always a good idea to try and put your car back to stock, if you can, before taking it in.

Also, don't the Speed6's BOV recirc from factory?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer can't void the warrenty. It's always a good idea to try and put your car back to stock, if you can, before taking it in.

Also, don't the Speed6's BOV recirc from factory?
[/b]

I have a HKS BOV.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I told the service manager I wanted to install the HKS BOV and he said that I will void the warranty if I install a differnt BOV????

·
Registered
566 Posts
I told the service manager I wanted to install the HKS BOV and he said that I will void the warranty if I install a differnt BOV????
[/b]
This apparently depends on your service manager. Mine are being really hardline about it too-basically no mods or "we'd let it pass but the factory guys would inspect any serious problem and they'd void your warranty" even for the airbox mod! Still an open question-anybody within 3 or 4 hours of Dubuque NOT that difficult?

·
Registered
661 Posts
If all you have is a CEL - go get a scan tool and find out what it is - maybe even reset it yourself.

If it's something serious, I would scrap my replace my aftermarket parts with stock so there is NO questions when you take it in.

You don't want to be in that position.

Dealers share warranty information - if you take it to one dealer with aftermarket parts and they flag your car - even if you go back to stock all other Mazda dealers will know what the original dealer found IE: aftermarket parts - warranty void.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was cleaning the car today and decided to unhook the battery to fix the CEL. After about 20 miles of driving, nothing has come back up. I still plan on going to the dealer to get the reflash though... rather be safe than sorry with the turbo. Taking my chances with the CPE CAI and leaving it on. Mazdaspeed sells one for us now, and it's warranty level is green. I'll let ya'll know if I'm the first guy to get his warranty booted... wish me luck

·
Registered
391 Posts
If the light comes back, take it to AutoZone. They'll scan the code for free, then you can decide what to do with it based on what's wrong.

·
Registered
127 Posts
dealers are voiding it for almost everything. my dealer said the only thing allowed was the exhaust. nothing else at all. but im tryin to work my way around that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
dealers are voiding it for almost everything. my dealer said the only thing allowed was the exhaust. nothing else at all. but im tryin to work my way around that.
[/b]
My dealer gave me a short lecture on why aftermarket wheels aren't good. :sarc: Got the same speach from Acura.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My dealer gave me a short lecture on why aftermarket wheels aren't good. :sarc: Got the same speach from Acura.
[/b]
my dealer liked my wheels, and intake, didn't say anything when i got my reflash, i didn't talk to the manager, just some worker bee kid.

·
Registered
391 Posts
my dealer liked my wheels, and intake, didn't say anything when i got my reflash, i didn't talk to the manager, just some worker bee kid.
[/b]
My dealer has so far been pretty cool with me. All the sales staff is really into my car, including two of the sales managers. In fact, one of the sales guys bought an MS6 himself and joined our Cleveland 6 Club!

It's going in for an oil change this weekend and I asked if they could take a look at an exhaust rattle I got with the CP-E kit. They said they'd check it out while it was in the air; they definitely didn't have to do that but the fact that they (said) they will is pretty damned cool I think.

Classic Mazda, Mentor OH. They're even handing out flyers for my club to potential and existing 6 owners.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My dealer has so far been pretty cool with me. All the sales staff is really into my car, including two of the sales managers. In fact, one of the sales guys bought an MS6 himself and joined our Cleveland 6 Club!

It's going in for an oil change this weekend and I asked if they could take a look at an exhaust rattle I got with the CP-E kit. They said they'd check it out while it was in the air; they definitely didn't have to do that but the fact that they (said) they will is pretty damned cool I think.

Classic Mazda, Mentor OH. They're even handing out flyers for my club to potential and existing 6 owners.
[/b]
Sounds like a cool service department. Don't forget about the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
it's federal law which prohibits the a manufacturer from voding your warranty unless they can prove that the
modification was the cause of the problem.

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. For additional information, check out the following links:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

[/b]

i got the rattle too. it can rattle because it contacts a piece of thin metal on the right rear of the car's body. CP-E mentions this in the instructions. When i took it back to the guys who installed it, and pointed this out, they used a hammer to bend back this metal - rattle fixed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
[/b]
well, they are correct since the aftermarket wheels are generally heavier and put additional stress on the suspension compenents. I know some forged wheels are lighter.....but 90% of people get larger diameter rims that are not forged, and along with the heavier tires to with them.....thus much heavier than the stockers.

Sounds like a cool service department. Don't forget about the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
it's federal law which prohibits the a manufacturer from voding your warranty unless they can prove that the
modification was the cause of the problem.

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. For additional information, check out the following links:
[/b]

just dont try to pull the MM warranty act when getting an extended warranty claim covered.....they will tell you to go blow yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts