Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In several posts in here, I have seen questions about the reliability of Mazda cars. Strange to me, since Mazda in Sweden is well-known for their quality approach.

As I stated before, I have never had any serious problem with my Mazdas, nor have any of my relatives or friends who also has and have had Mazdas for a long time.

Just the other day, I had a new proof to the quality and perfection, this time about the engine.

I've run my 626 for 68000 km by now. (Divide by 1.6, those of you who has 16 fingers on your hands...).

When I bought the car - new - I also bought a liter of spare oil. Could come in handy, I thought. The other day, I found the oil bottle in my car toolkit.

The oil wasn't touched. Not the toolkit either...for three and a half years I've had the car. The 626 wasn't heavy on the oil, that's for sure...I gave it an oilchange every 10000 km, that's all.

So, didn't anything ever go wrong with my 626? Well, yes. A light bulb (or whatever it is) inside of the button for the seat warmer stopped working. And so did the seat warmers (too much use, I guess...)

Nothing else. In 68000 miles - one and a half time around the world. And then some...

Generellay speaking, modern cars have very high build quality, but Mazda was there ahead of the competition. My 626 from -90 was equally good. My brother owns that today, and he had to replace a sensor in the engine, the tank (it rusted, the gas tank in the 6 is made by plastic). I think that's about it...in 300.000 km.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Replying to Topic 'What about quality?'

Thanks for your personal experience Steve.

Wow your car travel 41000 KM in a few lines of your text. :) 68000KM to 68000miles = 109000KM. :) BTW, how many years did you own the 626 to put 68000KM??

The other thing I am really surprise is how often you change your oil. Is 10000KM the standard by which most cars gets oil and filter change???? Car are suggested to change their oil around 5000KM over here in Canada. That is for regular oil and not synthetic. However, even when you put in synthetic oil, the service guy still suggest to come in around 7500KM?? Is it the North American attitude of making extra money of us poor sap or does the car really need to have it change that much??

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Originally posted by hieppo

Thanks for your personal experience Steve.

Wow your car travel 41000 KM in a few lines of your text.  :)  68000KM to 68000miles = 109000KM.  :)  BTW, how many years did you own the 626 to put 68000KM??

The other thing I am really surprise is how often you change your oil.  Is 10000KM the standard by which most cars gets oil and filter change????  Car are suggested to change their oil around 5000KM over here in Canada.  That is for regular oil and not synthetic.  However, even when you put in synthetic oil, the service guy still suggest to come in around 7500KM??  Is it the North American attitude of making extra money of us poor sap or does the car really need to have it change that much??[/b]
km...miles...confusing stuff...:D

Ooops, no we don't change oil every 10000 km, but every 15000 actually (they increased service intervals from 10000 km to 15000 with the last model of the 626). Oil change is recommended every service, but not between.

I guess if your service people wish you to come more often, that is because they benefit from this. I doubt it does any good to a modern car, and definitely not your wallet.

Mazda6 has a 20000 km service interval. That means oil change every 20000 km...

BTW - I run my 626 on semi-syntetic oil. No probs...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

BTW, how many years did you own the 626 to put 68000KM??[/b]
Forgot to answer your question.

I bought in in june -99, so that is a little bit more than three years today...

·
Registered
837 Posts

Holy crap,

68000KM in 3 years is a lot of KM. You drive a lot don't you.

Wow, you telling me 15000km between oil and filter change. Man I wonder what kind of scam the dealers over here is pulling on us car owner. I just sort of worry to try to push it to 10000KM when they recommend 5000KM.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Holy crap,

68000KM in 3 years is a lot of KM.  You drive a lot don't you.

Wow, you telling me 15000km between oil and filter change.  Man I wonder what kind of scam the dealers over here is pulling on us car owner.  I just sort of worry to try to push it to 10000KM when they recommend 5000KM.[/b]
Yes, I drive a lot. I use the car in my work, and I drive a lot after work also...don't expect that to become less with the new 6...:D

I spoke to the car service guy when I bought my 626. I asked him if it would do any good to change oil and filter more frequent than every 15000 km. He said no. A modern low friction engine has such little wear that the amount of metallic particles in the oil is very low. This means both that the filter lives longer and that engine wear is low even at the end of a change-cycle.

I guess if it makes you feel good to change oil every 5000 km, then do so. But I sure won't - that's money down the drain if U ask me... :sarc

·
Registered
62 Posts

Wait a minute... This is the first time I hear of someone saying that oil changes should only be made after so many KMs. Are you sure about this? Here in Canada, an oil change is recommended by everyone I have talked to after 5000 KMs. I am confused! Can anyone else back up the 20,000 KM theory????

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi All

According to www.mazda.com.au, the Service intervals for the Mazda6 are set at 10,000 Kilometres.

I should imagine that different Countries have different service intervals.....

Cheers
Rod

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by RodneyJ

Hi All

According to www.mazda.com.au, the Service intervals for the Mazda6 are set at 10,000 Kilometres.

I should imagine that different Countries have different service intervals.....

Cheers
Rod[/b]
I think that is very likely. In Sweden it is 15000 km...

Perhaps this is a matter of competition. In Sweden it has become a really important argument not to have the service occations too close, because they are expensive.

Mercedes is worst with a 30000 km service interval...

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi Steve,

Yes its a pain when for me, 10,000 Kilometres comes up in less than half a year .....

As you said, it can be very expensive to service the Car !!!:( (twice at least in one year)

PS: According to Statistics, the Average Australian Driver does Approx 25,000 kilometres per year !! :hoho

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by RodneyJ

Hi Steve,

Yes its a pain when for me, 10,000 Kilometres comes up in less than half a year .....

As you said, it can be very expensive to service the Car !!!:( (twice at least in one year)

PS: According to Statistics, the Average Australian Driver does Approx 25,000 kilometres per year !! :hoho[/b]
I guess I'm an average Australian driver then...I almost drive that much too.:hoho

·
Registered
510 Posts

I guess I'm an average Australian driver then...I almost drive that much too.[/b]
Hi Steve,

"You are now an honourable Australian Driver - Great Mate !!"

*says with bad Crocodile Dundee Accent - LOL !!*

Such a Bad StereoType.....

Cheers
Rod

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

"A knife? That ain't a knife. THIS is a knife..."

end quote.

A bad stereotype indeed.

But rather fun. The first time, at least...the third film I haven't even bothered whatching yet....:sarc

·
Registered
510 Posts

A knife? That ain't a knife. THIS is a knife..."[/b]
Yes, a very bad quote from the Movie !!! LOL

PS - I haven't seen the 3rd Movie either, from what i have heard, I don't think we are missing out on Much.....!

We also don't have Kangaroos & Koala's living in our houses either !!

Only the occassional Red-Back or Funnel Web spider, nothing that a shoe and a firm hand can't fix !! :D :D

Rod

·
Registered
837 Posts

No Koalas. Damn I was hoping you can keep them as pet.

I am taking a look at the Toyota site, the first recommended checkup is 8000KM. It consist mainly of lubrication like oil and filter, joints and such. The next service is 16000KM.

Different manufacturer offer different schedule but none has the first checkup 10000KM or over. The common one I see is between 5000 and 8000KM. The second checkup is around 12000 and 16000KM.

Odd but different country have different schedule. Is it because they don't want the owner to spend too much on service or the company does not want to give free service away? Or is our fuel much dirtier than your fuel to warrant the extra caution in early service.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If I understand correctly, the northamerican gas is not as good as the european. This I think has something to do with Sulphur contents.

Anyway, how this would effect the lubrication of the engine is beyond me. Perhaps it gets hotter in the cylinders, "burning" the oil more...well, your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Steve, our gas does have higher sulphur content (no dirty jokes please :hoho ) but I think the reason for the different service intervals has to do with the driving habits of the respective countries. Here in this country most drivers are lackadaisical and don't drive hard. Most drive automatics and are too busy eating, reading, shaving, putting on makeup and talking on their cell phones to pay attention to the road. So our service intervals are different. Also, what's done on service intervals is different as well. I think in Europe you guys get more comprehensive service during your intervals. We usually have a 6000 mile (10000 km) oil change interval, with more comprehensive service at 30,000 mile (50,000 km) intervals.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Consumer Reports, the monthly bible for the careful North American shopper, did a big long-term study a year or two or three ago and determined that frequent (like every 3,000 miles) oil changes didn't add any benefit to engines over oil changes at the manufacturer's recommended interval (often 7,500 or so miles). As I remember, the study involved a fleet of taxi cabs--cars subject to pretty tough driving conditions. CR pretty much agreed with Steve that you were just wasting money with more frequent changes.

I think the 3,000 mile "standard" has become standard due to the big advertising spending by Jiffy Lube and the other quick change places. And people consider it to be inexpensive preventive maintenance...can't hurt for sure.

MM

1 - 20 of 29 Posts