Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What about 15" wheel for winter tire?

I am planning to buy the Mazda6 very soon, but the car will get in Canada right in the middle of winter (Febuary). So I have to plan to get winter tires right away.

I will go for the 215/50R17 for my summer tire. I could go for 205/60R16 for my winter tire, but I would feel better to get winter tyre in the 70 series. anyone know if 15" wheel would fit on the Mazda6 (if brake caliper fit into the wheel)? What would be the tire size for a 15" wheel? Would it fall into the 70 series?

Any info or suggestion on the topic would be appreciated,

·
Registered
350 Posts
Replying to Topic 'What about 15

Wider is not better with 10cm of snow on the road.
Wider is more good-looking of course.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Steve6,
You have answer my question ... since you actually have 15" on your car then 15" wheel does fit over the Mazda6 brake caliper. If it is the case then to respect the overall wheel diameter, I would have to go for 205/65R15 tires. But I can take a 2km/h offset on my speedometer reading and go for 195/65R15 tires.

Thanks for the info and recommendation,

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Well I'm corrected on that. I always used the stock tire size on mine for winters. Good to know though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Opss... I forgot to be specific. The 2 km/h offset would be at 100 km/h, so the true speed would be 98 when the dial will be showing 100 km/h. This will also affect the odometer. So my warranty will expire earlier because my odometer will show 100000 km when the car will actually have truly 98000 km on it. 2000 km difference it for me 1 month driving. Not a big deal. I can live with it. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts

There is a little difference in tire sizes between Europe's and America's Mazda6.
In Europe we have 3 standard sizes 195/65 R15, 205/55 R16, 215/45 R17.
As far as I know the tire's profile for America's Mazda6 is a bit higher
205/60 R16 and 215/50 R17. Therefore 195/70 R15 (or 205/65 R15) would approximately be the right size. Hope that american and european mazdas have
the same brakes, because for european mazdas I know for sure - it is possible
to mount 15" wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Replying to Topic 'W

Mazda Germany offers winter tires for the 6 in 195/60 R15. So there shouldn't be a problem fitting any other 15" wheel.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Originally posted by Kincaid

A little thin with 65 series, isn't it? Wider IS better.[/b]
It is more safe to buy more narrow...
But then again, there is no sence at having as narrow as bicycle tyres. :p

195 and 15" is the "recommendation" as most common size.
16" (205) is getting more popular also...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Interresting that the tires size for Europe and NA is not the same. Which let me believe that the speedometer/odometer, more likely they are physiacally the same for both continent, have to be calibrated differently, and more likely have different part number.

Anyhow , I came to the conclusion that for NA, tire size should be:

215/50R17
205/60R16
205/65R15

I would seriously consider 195/65R15 for winter tires. It a psychological thing with me. I don't feel confortable with anything above 200 mm width and I would prefer the 70 series. But 190/70R15 which would be the size for NA does not exist. 195/65R15 is the next best thing.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by MazdaForLife

Interresting that the tires size for Europe and NA is not the same.  Which let me believe that the speedometer/odometer, more likely they are physiacally the same for both continent, have to be calibrated differently, and more likely have different part number.[/b]
... and since people in NA seem to have 16 fingers and 16 toes, the readings on speedometer are in divisions of 1.6 km, or a "mile" as they call it ... :p

·
Registered
355 Posts

Originally posted by MazdaForLife

I would seriously consider 195/65R15 for winter tires.  It a psychological thing with me.  I don't feel confortable with anything above 200 mm width and I would prefer the 70 series.  But 190/70R15 which would be the size for NA does not  exist.  195/65R15 is the next best thing.[/b]
Well, it really sounds more like psychology to me... Since we are talking about 1 cm wider (from 195 to 205); it is not a huge difference... But maybe it is the 2 in the front, just like you said?

I am still waiting more wintery weather, then I have a perfect location to go and test the tyres. I tested there before with some studd tyres, and studdless also (under Volvo S60).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

After calculation, it comes to 5% reduction in contact surface between 205/65R15 and 195/65R15 (for four tires) which directly translate into 5% more pressure per scare inch (PSI) under four 195/65R15 tires.

5% is more than enough to profide the addition grip on snow and give you a edge over 205/65R15. After all 195/65R15 becomes to me a more rational choice than a psychological thing.

PS - Sigvard: your 16-toes story only applies to USA, since in Canada we are using metric system since 1976, and more likely same thing for Mexico. Similarly that France is not Europe, USA is not NA. Please revise your geographic lesson. ;-)

·
Registered
355 Posts

That is nice info...

But I would still remind that the pressure is needed on studds MORE than on studdless tyres. I would definately get 15" wheels etc. if I wanted studds for that extra grib etc. It does provide it on very smooth ice, I have noticed that. But other than that, it didn't help me to drive any better than the tyres under my car... I did test both on 2.3L Mazda6 on icy day. Without studds the back of the car can create more swing on ICY curves when you take it fast etc. But when driving without studds you always (have to) drive this in mind.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I would rather drive with stub. But here in Canada, traffic regulations change from province to province (province = state). For example the province of Quebec allows stub from some time in November to April, while its neighbor province, Ontario, does not allow stub at anygiven time. If you are caught driving with stub in Ontario you will be fine. Since I drive a lot in these two jurisdictions, I don't take any chance, so I drive stubless tire.

The tires that I am currently considering are some fine Nokian Hakka Q 195/65R15, a nice product from FInland. I have been driving Hakka winter tires for over 10 years, and a love them.

Allowing stub or not on winter tires is a debate in Canada because environment concerns. I think it is a question of compromise and technology. In Sweden, they came to the conclusion that it was socially cheaper to allow stub and save on medical care cost vice the cost of environment damage due to stub. Also in Sweden, they have develop stub that does not damage as much roads (I think this also apply to Finland). But here, there is a lack of knowledge about how to properly install stub. They put too many of them on tires and they are too long. You end up driving on metal which might not be too bad on snow and ice. But on dry pavement, that will make you lose control.

I find that stupid in Ontario not to allow stub since they don't save the environment since they turn around and put tonnes of salt on the highway which at the Spring end-up in the eco-system. As well, stub tire prevent the build up of icy road, while stubless tire polish the snow into icy surface.

Anyhow I am stock with these traffic rules. But if you can, I would certainly go for stub tire. It also depends in which environmental condition you drive. There are some region that does not get a lot of snow or because other factor, for example, in large Canadian cities, snow removal is generally good (plus they put a lot of salt); you can be fine with stubless (some time even with 4 seasons tires); but as soon you drive out of cities (country regions); stub tire would be recommended.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You are correct in your statements about Sweden. Except for one point. The cost of human life isn't balanced against the cost of environmental damage, but rather against tear on the roads. Sweden has one of the largest road grids in Europe (Only France is larger among the European states) but we're just 9 million people. This means that very few people has to pay for very many miles of road. Hence, we have to be careful with it.

On the other hand, cost of life is larger and has other dimensions aswell rather than cents only.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Originally posted by Steve 6er

You are correct in your statements about Sweden. Except for one point. The cost of human life isn't balanced against the cost of environmental damage, but rather against tear on the roads. Sweden has one of the largest road grids in Europe (Only France is larger among the European states) but we're just 9 million people. This means that very few people has to pay for very many miles of road. Hence, we have to be careful with it.

On the other hand, cost of life is larger and has other dimensions aswell rather than cents only.[/b]
> Hence, we have to be carefull with it

Do you mean carefull with "the tax payers life" since they would be even less to pay for the roads! Just kidding :D

> cost of life is larger

Hey, I can not agree more with you. I just wish Canada would take the same approach than Sweden.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts