Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'll be honest....I have been scared to get an intake due to the wetness factor. I have been trying to come up with a solution.

The criteria was to leave the wheel well vent intact so fresh air could enter BUT keep water from getting in.

What is breathable and keeps out water? GORETEX!

I found a huge piece of black Goretex on Ebay. I am going to cut some pieces to put over the wheel well vent. I will then use some Loctite outdoor adhesive that I found at Home Depot to seal the Goretex all the way around. What I am debating is if I need Goretex on the inside and outside.

I really believe this will keep the filter dry. I can't avoid puddle or deep water and I drive over 100 miles per day so this is really some cheap insurance....I think.

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
great thinking, very creative - im gonna try this i think.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's a good idea but what happens when all the pores of the Goretex get full of water?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I know the wet intake is a problem from what i hear, but how bad is it for the cpe mafci? Is there any breaks in the intake where you could put filter and then replace the length after winter or is it a solid length all the way through? Another thing, Does Gortex breath enough? Let us know after?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, now I have to buy an intake.

That's a good idea but what happens when all the pores of the Goretex get full of water?
[/b]

I am hoping with 2 layers this doesn't happen.

"The microporous structure of the GORE-TEX® membrane is what makes GORE-TEX® fabrics completely waterproof. Each microscopic pore is about 20,000 times smaller than a drop of water, which means no external moisture - from rain to snow to that puddle you just stepped in - can penetrate the membrane."

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's a difference between breatheable and letting air pass through unobstructed as you need for an air intake. I'm thinking that putting any kind of fabric, no matter how 'breatheable' it may be, would be like covering it up with tape. It's not going to flow very well at all. I could be wrong, but that just seems like it's going to block a *lot* of air...

·
Registered
303 Posts
When you get the Goretex, put it up to your mouth and blow on it. It's not as "breathable" as you think it may be. Nice idea, but I think it's not going to work. :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just out of curiosity and laziness cause i don"t feel like looking now, is there any other major way for water and stuff to get to the intake besides the slots in the wheel well?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just out of curiosity and laziness cause i don"t feel like looking now, is there any other major way for water and stuff to get to the intake besides the slots in the wheel well?
[/b]
there are a couple small holes in the fog light assembly that lead to the area that houses the CAI filter.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I was trying....can't kill me for thinking.

·
Registered
244 Posts
why not just get K&N dry charger like me? cost only like 20$.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
why not just get K&N dry charger like me? cost only like 20$.
[/b]
Isn't that like a hydroshield?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Isn't that like a hydroshield?
[/b]
Ya, its the same thing. But K&N offer many different sizes.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
My inner fender liner (ENTIRE THING) ripped out b/c I guess one of the tabs came loose, rubbed onto my tire, whereas my tire ripped out the liner.

Haven't had a fender liner for a few weeks now, have driven in the rain like 4-5 times. It's not good for it though, so ordering a new one.

Honestly, even w/ the vents in there, as long as there's not a MASSIVE amount of water going straight onto the filter (which there wouldn't be w/ the vented liner) you're not going to have a problem.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow....daring man!

Alright thanks for the info. I feel stupid for buying Goretex now.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
One thing I've learned from my skiing research: The more waterproof a fabric is, the less breathable it is. There is no getting around that. Sure, you can work to keep water out of it, but the more water you keep out, the more air you keep out as well. That kind of kills the point of a CAI.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Really guys, there is no need to worry about a little water splashing up onto the filter. If you fully submerge the filter, than start to worry. Hell, on a speed6 getting a little water splashed in may do you some good and cool your intake charge a bit.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
^^^ What he said...

There are a few mythbuster and writeups on how water and mist can effect a combustion engine... But to be simple... you shouldn't worry. The more moisture you get inside the chambers... the harder combustion will become... it might get so bad as to completely stop (like if you were to dunk the entire intake into a puddle and suck up huge amounts)... but in most cases it won't have any effect at all...

Now it won't do anything for "cooling" effect as cool air is more condense and provides more fuel for combustion... however when you mix moisture in with that air (as what this thread is about)... water is not combustable... so that added space in the chambers is taking away from the fuel... and by fuel i mean... one of the components used to create the combustion... (wood is a type of fuel.. air is a type of fuel... oil / gas are types of fuel)....

So.. yeah... Don't worry about it... if a drop of water splashes up onto the filter... when it gets sucked through it will be tiny... and be vaporized in the chamber.

The speed6 "cold air intake" filter location doesn't have THAT much airflow... A bit from the wheel well.. and a bit more from the front bumper / fog light location.... So you/we need all the flow we can get...

To be 100% honest with you... Do not drive over puddles when possible... and you'll be completely safe everywhere else. I can't think of any situations where enough water would get onto the filter unless you either A) Dunk the whole thing under... or B) get a steady stream of water "somehow" onto it...

Some people get the hydro-guard things to block between the fender well vent area and the filter... If driving on a very wet road I can see the tires tossing a steady stream of water up into those vents... which could cause some problems over a long period of time...

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
and by fuel i mean... one of the components used to create the combustion... (wood is a type of fuel.. air is a type of fuel... oil / gas are types of fuel)....[/b]
Not to get too technical, but air (being the oxygen in the air) is the oxidiser, not the fuel :p

Also, water can be used for cooling, though the benefit of sucking up a few drops would be negligible in the case of a CAI.
http://www.enginerunup.com/how-it-works-faqs/info_8.php

1 - 20 of 32 Posts