Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone would have a solution for my problem.

The car: 2005 Mazda 6s w/ sunroof

When it rains, the carpet on the driver's side of the car gets quite wet, and I cannot seem to figure out where the water is coming from.

From my searching on forums, I have tested the following items:
1. Poured water down sunroof drain, water drained from just behind driver's wheel.

2. Checked door drains, and water can drain out the bottom of the door.

3. Tested windshield drains. Most water drained from the same place as the sunroof, however, I did notice that some water did drain from a little higher (coming over the fender liner it looked like). Is this normal?

Has anyone had similar experiences as this? Any possible solutions would be appreciated.

Thank You
Chuck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had the same issue with my 2004. Dealer said it was where the hood release cable went through the firewall is where it is/was leaking until they fixed it. Been dry for 2 years now...not entirely sure what they did and was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had this happen once when I installed subs in an old car I had, the water is following the power cable for the amp from the battery.

Don't know if you have anything like that but Once I sealed that up, it was good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm here to confirmit is the hood cable. in fact i guarantee it. I'm going through this right now. It is the hood release cable grommet that goes through the side section of the firewall into the space inside the fender. Search for the thread started under this title and you will see my post and a couple pictures:
Driver's Side Carpet Wet - Hood Release Grommet?
This design is so @#$%*^%!!! horrible i can't even. i mean...all the runoff from the windshield just pours over these grommets. AND, the water comes in right above the fuse panel. How can Mazda be so freaking stupid?????? or is it Ford I should be pissed at????

I spent several hours disassembling my interior, including removing the drivers side seat, so the carpet could be pulled up. i busted a couple clips in the process. Then I spent 3 full days mopping up water, then squeezing water out of the pad, and running a fan on it to get it to dry. i had water for a long time before I realized it so I also had to mitigate some surface rust and spray some rust oleum, too.

If you jam yourself under the dash and shine a light way up high, on top of the fuse panel you can see the grommet and the cable going out. The only way I can see of making sure you are fixing it correctly is to remove that fender. See my other post. Removing the fender wasn't the worst of this for me. Dealing with the interior was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts