Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This TMIC will be using a 14 X 12 X 3 - 3.5" thick Bar And Plate Core and and will be a bolt on. The stock Ram Air System Will be utilized.

Please take a look at this thread for our customer service and product feedback as well as the actual product that we currently offer for the Mazdaspeed Protege: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84443

If you'd like to read through more feedback just perform a search on that forum with the string CustomMSP :)

(10-30-06)PICTURE EDIT ON PAGE 10!

(11-5-06)DYNO RESULTS ON PAGE 18!

(11-6-06)IMPORTANT UPDATE ON PAGE 21!

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that you might have.

Thanks,
Anatoly

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
So why not a FMIC? The placement of our TMIC is like a blanket for the motor, soaking up all the heat. I'm not saying that the TMIC can't be improved, but I don't think the gains would be worth the R&D.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
WTF, all the negative input....How do you guys know that they haven't found an answer to that.

He simply asked if there was a speed6 in the area, he didn't ask for Doubty Mc Doubt doubt posts..

·
Registered
856 Posts
This is a public message board, is it not?
We are here to express our opinions and give input to topics, are we not?

AutoEXE already has a "bar and plate" intercooler right? Did you see a lot of interest there? I think not.
Why? Because it still bakes over the motor.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm definitely open to the idea of not having to deal with putting a front mount on the car if they devise a way to greatly reduce the heat soak problems of a top mount intercooler...but I do not live in Portland or anywhere near Portland, but I would love to see what they come up with...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can we know until we try guys? That's what I'm here to find out :) Nobody ever thought that a replacement SMIC for the protege would make + 20WHP while pretty much eliminating heatsoak of the stock unit. The TMIC might only heatsoak when the car is stationary, but once it's moving there's pressurised air going throught the IC. You have to give Mazda engineers some credit. If you look closely at the design of the the stock IC setup you'll understand. A FMIC will add extra weight to the nose of the car therefore its balance changes. Plus the extra piping of a FMIC kit will slow the spool up of the turbo. The pipes under the hood will heatsoak as well. To choose one over the other really all depends on what the goals are for the vehicle.

Thanks,
Anatoly

This is a public message board, is it not?
We are here to express our opinions and give input to topics, are we not?

AutoEXE already has a "bar and plate" intercooler right? Did you see a lot of interest there? I think not.
Why? Because it still bakes over the motor.
[/b]
I think the reason their TMIC is not selling is because it costs ~$1100 hehe

·
Registered
856 Posts
I wasn't saying dont try it.
I'm just not in the area and I'm pretty set on a FMIC.
Once again, just my input.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hello,

I'd like to see if anybody with a SPEED6 in the Portland, OR area is interested and available to drop their car off for a maximum of a few days to prototype a new TMIC. This TMIC will be using a 3.5" thick Bar And Plate Core and and will be a bolt on. The stock Ram Air System Will be utilized. The sooner we have a car the faster we can release this product! The willing candidate will be compensated for their time and trouble. A before and after dyno will be provided within a week after the prototype is done.

Please take a look at this thread for our customer service and product feedback as well as the actual product that we currently offer for the Mazdaspeed Protege: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84443

If you'd like to read through more feedback just perform a search on that forum with the string CustomMSP :)
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that you might have.

Thanks,
Anatoly
[/b]
I'd be interested in a better TMIC, especially if it's less expensive than the AutoExe one. I don't want to mod the car extensively, and/or add the extra piping that an FMIC would require. I also welcome more choices and options. Unfortunately I'm in Vancouver, BC (not Vancouver, WA) and am not really very close to you, otherwise I'd lend you my car.

Saying that, if you're really stuck and can't find a volunteer, how long would you need the car for? If it's a day or two I could drive down (I think it's about 6hrs), find some place to stay overnight and let you have it for about 1.5 days. I'd probably have take some time off work too though, as I assume it would have to be during the work week? Hmm, thinking about it some more, maybe it's too tight a time frame.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Anatoly,
Ignore the TMIC haters. they are obviously not your target market.

There are guys on here that don't want the hassle or can't afford an FMIC, (me being one of them). Your points were valid and well said. If i was in the area i would let you use my car, but alas i am north of the border.

For those of you who told him not to try it, "STOP CHIMING IN WITH NEGATIVITY EVERYTIME SOMEONE WANTS TO TRY SOMETHING NEW!" What upsets me is that everyone on this board is so upset that there's no aftermarket for our car and then the second someone wants to try something you tell him, "no don't bother, it won't work" WTF?! That's the last thing you want to do. "Hmmm....I want to see more support for my car so I think i'll discourage anyone who tries." Ya that makes so much sesne. NOT!

It's not your money going into the R&D it's theirs, so let them try it. if it works, good for them and you'll have egg on your face. if it doesn't then you had nothing to lose. If it works and doesn't make as much power as you want, DON"T BUY IT. It wasn't made for you. If you find it too expensive, DON't BUY IT. It wasn't made for you. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but he didn't ask if he should do it, he asked if you had a car to donate. There are plenty of TMIC vs FMIC threads for you to spread your doubt. That's actually the point of the thread. But for future reference if someone wants to R&D something, encourage, do not discourage! The idea is to make progress here cause we want members to have multiple options for both TMIC and FMIC upgrades not 3 FMIC and 1 TMIC all >$1000. That's insane!

P.S. if you want a FMIC so bad go talk to P5Freek he can have one made for you right now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's not your money going into the R&D it's theirs, so let them try it. if it works, good for them and you'll have egg on your face. if it doesn't then you had nothing to lose. [/b]
That's not exactly true. If they ruin your car, which many of these shops are known to do, you WILL have something to lose. Plus, even if it works, it will void part or all of your warranty.

If the shop has to ask people on a message board to borrow their car, you can pretty much assume that it's not a professional operation. Let them buy their own car to experinment with.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
How can we know until we try guys? That's what I'm here to find out :) Nobody ever thought that a replacement SMIC for the protege would make + 20WHP while pretty much eliminating heatsoak of the stock unit. The TMIC might only heatsoak when the car is stationary, but once it's moving there's pressurised air going throught the IC. You have to give Mazda engineers some credit. If you look closely at the design of the the stock IC setup you'll understand. A FMIC will add extra weight to the nose of the car therefore its balance changes. Plus the extra piping of a FMIC kit will slow the spool up of the turbo. The pipes under the hood will heatsoak as well.

Thanks,
Anatoly
[/b]
Love to see what you guys come up with, good luck!

The autoexe is pricey, but there are other options out there for tmic

http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_...products_id=446

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd be interested in a better TMIC, especially if it's less expensive than the AutoExe one. I don't want to mod the car extensively, and/or add the extra piping that an FMIC would require. I also welcome more choices and options. Unfortunately I'm in Vancouver, BC (not Vancouver, WA) and am not really very close to you, otherwise I'd lend you my car.

Saying that, if you're really stuck and can't find a volunteer, how long would you need the car for? If it's a day or two I could drive down (I think it's about 6hrs), find some place to stay overnight and let you have it for about 1.5 days. I'd probably have take some time off work too though, as I assume it would have to be during the work week? Hmm, thinking about it some more, maybe it's too tight a time frame.
[/b]

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think it'll work out too well because of the distance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The TMIC might only heatsoak when the car is stationary, but once it's moving there's pressurised air going throught the IC. You have to give Mazda engineers some credit. If you look closely at the design of the the stock IC setup you'll understand. A FMIC will add extra weight to the nose of the car therefore its balance changes. Plus the extra piping of a FMIC kit will slow the spool up of the turbo. The pipes under the hood will heatsoak as well.

Thanks,
Anatoly
[/b]

Exactly what I was thinking. A TMIC offers better packaging, less plumbing, and quicker spool-up at the expense of heat soak while the car isn't moving. An upgraded top-mount could offer even quicker spool-up and a cooler intake charge in a clean, bolt-on package. Asuming the price is reasonable (read: not $1100) I'd most certainly buy an upgraded TMIC before taking the plunge on the cost/plumbing/spool-up/hassle of a FMIC.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not exactly true. If they ruin your car, which many of these shops are known to do, you WILL have something to lose. Plus, even if it works, it will void part or all of your warranty.

If the shop has to ask people on a message board to borrow their car, you can pretty much assume that it's not a professional operation. Let them buy their own car to experinment with.
[/b]

If we're on the subject of warranty, both the TMIC and the FMIC can void it with the FMIC having a much greater chance of doing so. I don't really understand where you're trying to go with this.

Why would you go and say something like "If the shop has to ask people on a message board to borrow their car, you can pretty much assume that it's not a professional operation." I'm guessing you haven't read through our feedback via the link I've provided on the first post?

It sounds like you've had a bad experience in the past with a shop, and if that's the case then I'm sorry to hear that. However, I can assure you that this shop is 100% professional. As a matter of fact, this shop owns an RX7, a 300zx and a SRT4 just name a few.

Thanks.

As long as it doesn't heatsoak anymore its fine by me. And make it look clean please.
[/b]

That's what we're striving for!

1 - 20 of 448 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.