Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to two Mazda dealers today. One very bad experience, they other a very good experience.

First experience, was a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda dealer. I had been in contact with their "Internet Sales Manager" who wouldn't be there today, but she told me to ask for the sales manager. She knew I was looking for Sport package and Bose on a Mazda6s. She also knew I was coming.

I get there and I didn't even get to speak with the Sales Manager. I got assigned to a guy who looks like he's been selling Lincolns and Mercurys his entire sales life. The guy tries to be funny with some bad jokes nad half cracks towards me and my companions. It was pouring rain so he didn't much look like he wanted to work. I told him I already secured my own financing, which he kinda shrugged off with a crack. he goes and gets the worse car possible for me to compare to what I wanted. he brought a Red with Beige interior, and no sports package or even wheel package. My wife was like, this car is ugly, this is what you want? I said, "no, I want mine to have black cloth interior with blue or grey outside and sport package. The car he brought didn't even have Bose. It was terrible. I told hiom I was surprised such a large dealership didn't have any 5-Speeds with Sport package. he gave me the usual mumbo jumbo about those models being red hot and very difficult to keep in stock and find etc etc. Basically, he was setting me up for paying $$$$ MSRP $$$$. He had a bad attitude. He lost a sale.

We got on the highway, and he felt me punch it and he said, "any tickets and your paying them." He didn't say it in a half-funny way either, he was an as*h*le. He also said, "you wreck it, you own it right away." I'm thinking, what is wrong with this guy. I just took a short trip and turned around back to the dealer. I got outta the car went inside. He came in and I told him i was all set. he said that's all you wanted to do was drive it!?. Then he just walked away, no hanshake or anything. I was pissed. My perception of the Mazda6 change dramatically.

But I figured, it's gootta be better than that. So I went to another dealer and the salesman was not much older than me (27-28 years old). He was very polite and knew everything about the car and the specs, with no pressure. They didn't have a 5-speed V6 for me to drive, but they had a Steel Gray Metallic with the 5-Speed Automatic and Sports Package and Bose and Side Airbags. So I drove that just top get a feel for the car with the equipment. The car felt totally different. it almost seemed luxurious in a sense. The engine purred like a tiger, power was responsive and more than adequate. Exhaust note was convincing. The Bose stereo, holy friggin sh*t was pumping. I couldn'tn believe it. See below, but it was sorta like a "poor man's G35".

So it came down to what they had available there and in the area. I want a 5-speed manual, just because I want to maximize sportiness. I had previously decided on lLpis Blue, but i saw it there on some other vehicles and it looked too "strong" for my tastes. I think i'd like Lapis Blue for the first few months, then I'd get tired of such a "bold color". But it still looks great. But the Steel Grey Metallic surprised me at how good it looked. i don't usually like that charcoal grey color on cars, but the Mazda6s with Sport Package looks really good in it. It like an "industrial strength" sportiniess. But the only car they could locate was a black one with Sport and Bose as only options.

Black? My previous car was black, and it was always dirty, no matter how much I washed it. In winter, even worse. They couldn't find a steel gray metallic in my region. They said they might find one in a week or so, or I could get the Black delivered to them right away. I hesitated and told them I'd be back on Monday to decide. BTW, starting offer was $22,500. MSRP is above $23,000. But room to negotiate.

What do you guys think about black? They salesman (very cool BTW) said their most popular colors selling are Steel Gray Metallic and Silver. I don't want to see like 5 Steel Grey's every damn day. What do you guys think? Should I just negotiate my best price and put a deposit and tel them to find the Steel Grey metallic and call me? My brother-in-law doesn' like the steel grey, because he doesn't think it looks sporty enough with it. I am planning tint and sport grille as soon as I buy it eventually. I think that looks sporty. But that's all subjective anyway.

BTW, brefore driving the Mazda6s I drove the Nissan Altima 3.5 SE and the G35 Leather 6pd MT....omigod. Sorry for the long post, but it was a hectic day for me with all these test drives.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Reading Topic: Went to the Dealer Ready To Buy

Well my car is black, I love it, and yeah its hard as hell to keep clean, but the way it looks makes up for it.
I originally wanted yellow. in my opinion there are few cars that yellow looks good on, and the 6 is one of them, but after going to the dealer and seeing my car next to a yellow one, i wanted black

so anyways for your color choice, If you dont want black, then tell them to get what you want, dont settle for a color you dont like just because its what they have.

as for the 5 speed manual, your not gonna find one anywhere. MAzda is not making enough of them and all the ones that are being made are orders for people that put them in months ago, so if you want a 5 speed manual, put in an order and wait a few months, I have the sport tranny and I love it, plus the wife can drive if she needs to.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'W

Originally posted by MX6Victim

I went to two Mazda dealers today.  One very bad experience, they other a very good experience.[/b]
I went to a Nissan dealer a couple weeks back to purchase a Sentra Spec V. The salesman who came up to me happened to be the Internet sales manager. He told me that he would only sell the car to me at the Carsdirect.com price. The manager told me there's no negotiation, that price is good. (Keep in mind that I wasn't an internet customer, I came in off the street). I told him that two other dealers offered me $600 less than that price, he said "Well, buy it there".

So this went on. I asked the manager what kind of interest rate he could offer me. He sat in front of a computer and used some estimation program and said my monthly payments would be around $300. He said, "I doubt you can afford that". I told him, I didn't ask him if I could afford it, I asked what interest rate you could offer me, he said "I don't got time to waste with you, I got serious customers waiting for me". I gave him a big ol' :thefing :thefing :thefing and hightailed it outta there.

I have never seen more systematic rudeness and bullshit as I have at the many Nissan dealers I've been to. Although I'm sure there gotta be SOME good Nissan dealers out there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as soon as I left I heard him tell the salesman "I told you don't bother with him, he wasn't gonna buy." Of course I'm not gonna buy from you, you rude mutharfer.

·
Registered
341 Posts

I wouldn't buy black again if you paid me. Just me.

BEAUTIFUL when it's clean, but unless you live somewhere without salt and/or rain it's just...not gonna be clean.

The Steel Gray is cool, I say get what you want. I decided on the Lapis for myself. I think somebody should be able to get you a 5spd in Steel Gray. There's a white 5spd in Raleigh here, fully loaded...just waiting for somebody. And there's a Lapis one coming in in May.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
126 Posts

Go out to mazdausa.com, click on Mazda6, then click Search Inventory. Enter your Zip code, and change the distance to 150 miles.

Change the trim to S, the tranny to 5 speed manual. There are 88 within 150 miles of Providence. If color is super important, then enter that. There are 22 steel grays meeting this description. View the features of each one until you find what you want.

Then call the dealership. You can do one of two things here:

-Call them up, ask if the vehicle is available. Tell them you'd be willing to pay a few hundred over invoice if they sell it to you now. They won't have to spend any time test driving, haggling, or negotiating. They'd get a sale by the end of the month.

-Call them up simply to check if it's available. Have the "good" salesman run a dealer locate on that vehicle, negotiate with him and have it shipped to his dealership for detailing and delivery.

I did both, actually. The first car I wanted was already sold (it actually was a special order). That's one problem with Mazda's site... although it's great for locating cars, you don't know if the cars are really available or someone's special order.

I couldn't find a redfire 6s manual with a sunroof but no other options. I settled for the automanual for about the same price.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Went to the Dealer Ready To Buy'

Originally posted by Spiff

Go out to mazdausa.com, click on Mazda6, then click Search Inventory.  Enter your Zip code, and change the distance to 150 miles.

Change the trim to S, the tranny to 5 speed manual. There are 88 within 150 miles of Providence.   If color is super important, then enter that.  There are 22 steel grays meeting this description.  View the features of each one until you find what you want.[/b]

That's no good. That thing shows VINs months in advance. It shows allocated units, not only what's in stock.
Case in point, I ordered mine, and when I was given my VIN, it showed up there months before the car was even built and was there for two weeks after I took delivery.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Went to the Dealer Ready To Buy'

Originally posted by Spiff

-Call them up simply to check if it's available.  Have the "good" salesman run a dealer locate on that vehicle, negotiate with him and have it shipped to his dealership for detailing and delivery.[/b]
Be careful with this strategy. I have read that some dealerships will put a "do not trade" status on a car if a customer calls in asking about it. This forces the customer to go to them if they want to buy that car.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Colorwise, I was all set to order a Steel Gray, having seen a few of them. But then I got to see a Glacier Silver up close and personal, and fell in love. That's what I ended up getting. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts

I have a Steel Gray Metallic, and I love the color. Looks great.

BUT... I don't think it's a lot better than black as far as dirt goes. When this thing gets a coat of muck on it, it shows pretty quickly.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Anyone else- Grey or Silver? I was afraid of the grey showing dirt and not looking good unless it was super clean. Although the silver seems a bit too white for my liking. They need something in between.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Replying to Topic 'W

Originally posted by Hackcomic.com

Anyone else- Grey or Silver? I was afraid of the grey showing dirt and not looking good unless it was super clean. Although the silver seems a bit too white for my liking. They need something in between.[/b]
Between those, I'd probably go for the silver.

Have you seen the Sepang? Kinda has a silvery base but with a classy green twist. Less white than the silver as well. I know green is obviously not a neutral color as you were indicating but it's really sweet. Plus it is a lighter color so it shouldn't show dirt that badly.

It was my second choice right behind the blue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts