Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I was a bit stressed out and needed to unwind. It was a beautiful; Sunny afternoon about 77 degrees, so i decided to take my new 6 out and "open her up".

I headed for a wide Interstate about 10 miles from my house. 3-4 lanes each direction. Traffic minimal. Long stretches of straight roadway, with rolling hills and some curvy spots. I got on the Interstate and pretty much did a 10 mile test run. The speed limit is 65 mph. So I turned off the ATC and cruised at about 75. I bumped itup to 90mph at times to test acceleration from 65mph to 90mph. Very good. I mainley did this to make sure there weren't any police cruisers camped out in center median. None were seen.

After 10 miles I got off on an exit and got back on going south. This time, right from the exit, I drove it aggessivley. I took the engine to the redline in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th. I prettymuch stayed in the high speed lane, but I slowed down when traffic became more compacted in one section. At times, there were no cars surrounding me half mile or so, and I was coming down a gradual hill, so I could see the highway for 2-3 miles ahead. At these times a punched it. I got it up to 125 mph for a a minute or so, but I didn't dare stay long at that speed. But what a rush! But the car felt incredible. Steering was responsive, brakes were grippy. Bumps were shrugged off by the great suspension.

Then the twisties came and I slowed it down to 80 mph, and downshifted a lot. Lots of grip on the corners. The car just hugged the road, almost as if laughing at my efforts to to go beyond it's limits.

I did zoom pass several motorists doing 125.... and I'm sure it was a sight to see a silver Mazda6, tinted windows, zooming down the highway. Some guys in a 1999 Prelude and a guy in a Mustang tried to get me to race them. But I didn't bite.. since I'm not interested in racing and I just wanted to test the car's performance.

The Mazda6 handled all I could throw at it. I love this car. Oh, and my stress was gone after my drive!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reading Topic: Went for a Sunday Afternoon Drive

if you were at the passenger seat at those speeds, i can tell you your stress would jump up ten times that it was...

i tried this too with and without passengers... you can feel their fear of not controling the situation! but i won't do it again, i mean with passenger... ;)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Went for a Sunday Afternoon Drive'

I notice you are in Rhode Island. I would think by the time you hit 125 mph, you would be well out of your state already :)

·
Registered
126 Posts

I thought there was a limiter at 120MPH? Did you defeat that?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by Absolut

Originally posted by moocat

I notice you are in Rhode Island. I would think by the time you hit 125 mph, you would be well out of your state already :)[/b]
LOL[/b][/quote]
Actually, I got to the Massachusetts line and turned around. I started about midway thru the state. So it actually only took me 15 minutes to drive half-way thru my own state. It takes some getting used to if your from a larger state....

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Mmmh, I'm used to going 125 mph. Sometimes I'm taking my dad's S-Type out for a spin on one of our Autobahns. :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally posted by Driver6

Mmmh, I'm used to going 125 mph. Sometimes I'm taking my dad's S-Type out for a spin on one of our Autobahns. :D[/b]
Don't rub it in!! Doesn't Montana have no speed limits?

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Actually I like taking it to top speed which is governed to 156 mph...but shhh, don't tell and don't try this at home kids. BTW I'm not doing this when traffic won't allow it. I don't want to kill myself or anyone else.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Originally posted by mazda6guy

Mmmh, I'm used to going 125 mph. Sometimes I'm taking my dad's S-Type out for a spin on one of our Autobahns. :D[/b]
Don't rub it in!! Doesn't Montana have no speed limits?[/b][/quote]Their speed limits are 85 mph, which sucked because when I was out there I was in a POS pathfinder.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by moocat

I notice you are in Rhode Island. I would think by the time you hit 125 mph, you would be well out of your state already :)[/b]

Nice :D I think Houston is bigger than your state :D

·
Registered
77 Posts

So, if you were going 125, how can the car have a governor at 120mph or did he defeat the governer? Has anyone actually hit the 120mph governor or is this just "the word on the street".

·
Registered
303 Posts

because he's going downhill..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Originally posted by darmc96

So, if you were going 125, how can the car have a governor at 120mph or did he defeat the governer?  Has anyone actually hit the 120mph governor or is this just "the word on the street".[/b]
I was on a downhill with a moderate grade, so I think that allowed some extra speed because the engine wasn't doing all the work... gravity was :)

·
Registered
383 Posts

I've driven the Autobahns in both Germany and Switzerland (I prefer the latter). While there are places where one can go flat out, I'd say that with the congestion, construction and the proximity of one town to another (there are speed limits around towns); the average speed is comparable to that of US interstates.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts