Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while changing my oil i noticed a little leak developing from in between the transmission and engine, more specifically the oil pan, as that is what bolts to the transmission. anyways i wiped it down to see if and where it was coming from. or if it was a leak at all. well about 500-600miles later(today) i decided to check it. while it was not a lot, and had yet to drip onto the under bonnett thing it's still enough to bother me as this car has 8700 miles on it and should not be doing this, now if the mileage was higher, you could pass it off as minor seepage.

Upon closer inspection today it looks as if it could possibly be coming from the oil pan gasket, i'm not a 100% sure as even though I am a certified mechanic why bother when i still have warrenty. but what bothers me is the off chance that it might be the main bearing seal leaking. which i hope it isn't.

anyways, anyone else experiencing the same problem?

·
Registered
431 Posts
while changing my oil i noticed a little leak developing from in between the transmission and engine, more specifically the oil pan, as that is what bolts to the transmission. anyways i wiped it down to see if and where it was coming from. or if it was a leak at all. well about 500-600miles later(today) i decided to check it. while it was not a lot, and had yet to drip onto the under bonnett thing it's still enough to bother me as this car has 8700 miles on it and should not be doing this, now if the mileage was higher, you could pass it off as minor seepage.

Upon closer inspection today it looks as if it could possibly be coming from the oil pan gasket, i'm not a 100% sure as even though I am a certified mechanic why bother when i still have warrenty. but what bothers me is the off chance that it might be the main bearing seal leaking. which i hope it isn't.

anyways, anyone else experiencing the same problem?
[/b]
I have the same oil seepage. I took some pics I will post later. I noticed it when changing my oil at 7600 miles.

I don't believe it is from the oil pan as it was dry around mine before I wiped it off. My guess, rear main seal. :goon:

But you are right, it is covered under powertrain warranty, I would have to be prepared to be without my car for at least 3 days if they decide to do the service.

So I won't make a stink about mine yet until it starts to drip onto the lower engine cover, but will take the car in to the dealership for an oil change (instead of doing it myself) so it can be noted in your permanent dealer (factory) service history.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only problem that i see with the main bearing seal leaking is that, and I hate to say it, that they would have to replace the clutch also, as in most cases that i have seen of a main bearing seal leaking is it soaks the clutch disc and all associated parts in oil and a symptom would be a slipping clutch but (knocking on wood with the force of mr T.) haven't experienced that symptom yet, and hope i don't.

Mine I know will most likely end up going to the mazda dealership in springfield as they are a mazdaspeed dealer and the one local is not, although they did my first oil change and the recall on the car.

Looks like i will have to be putting the stock intake back on....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Question, when you change the oil with the cartridge filter, do you also need to buy a new gasket? I ask as I'm getting soulspeed to do a oil and tranny fluid change (going 100% syn in both - MT90 and Mobilone) Monday. I'e already bought the filter and tranny and motor oil, but didn't think about the gasket. I this something I need to buy upfront? Being they are not Mazda experts, I don't want to end up with a engine oil problem at the track next weekend....

Can anyone add clairty here?

Thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
buy MAZDA OEM ONLY for the filter. it will include all the gaskets you need. change them both. also you will need the washer for the drain plug, it's a .90 part. all in all it should run you under $10 for all of the above.

also you can buy the oil filter wrench at autozone for around ~$3.50 it's a stamped metal one. so for clairty:

Mazda OEM oil filter cartridge w/ gaskets = $9.00
Mazda OEM oil pan drain plug washer = $0.90
Generic-Ass 12-pt oil filter wrench = $3.50
Mobil One Synthetic Uber Good Shit = $28.00/6qts

trip to ER because hot oil ran down your arm and caused you to jump and hit your head against the hot oil pan = prices may vary.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
buy MAZDA OEM ONLY for the filter. it will include all the gaskets you need. change them both. also you will need the washer for the drain plug, it's a .90 part. all in all it should run you under $10 for all of the above.
[/b]
Hmmm. okay I bought the filter (came in a box) from the Georgetown Mazda dealer. Does that include the gasket? I don't see one in the box, but maybe I'm missing something? Serious, input here is needed...

Thanks

EDIT I just found the green, round gasket included in the box. It was stuck to inside of the box when I dumped out the filter.

Consider my question answered, thanks guys!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there should be 2 O-Rings in the box. a little tiny one and a big one.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glad i could help, any time

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think I have the same leak. In 3500 miles I noticed I was down 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart. I changed the oil and found oil dripping into the catch pan. Looked to be coming out between the engine and the tranny. I wiped everything clean and waited 500 more miles. Crawled under there and there it is again--oil between the engine and tranny. (Perhaps the change in seasons here has caused a shift in the metal?) Anyway, I called the Mazda dealer and the usual "who does your oil changes" conversation occurred. Then they said a "main seal" leak is very rare and in any case it is a 12 hour job so they can't get me in until next week. :(

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hrm, I sorta worried about this..

Boost typically means higher crankcase pressure, which can lead to leaking main seals.

Hopefully this isn't real common. Otherwise maybe the car needs better crankcase ventilation.

Hrm, I sorta worried about this..

Boost typically means higher crankcase pressure, which can lead to leaking main seals.

Hopefully this isn't real common. Otherwise maybe the car needs better crankcase ventilation.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
number of factors can lead to main seals leaking. usually if it is a crankcase pressure problem your main seal isn't the only one that leaks. you will get leaks other places and it will only show up under boost conditions.

my own opinion is that my car has a leaking oil pan gasket. ymmv though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am far from an expert on this drivetrain. If it turns out to be a main seal, should I be concerned that he clutch or transmission has suffered abnormal wear?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Took my car in yesterday morning. Dealership just called. They claim the oil pan was leaking. They said they took it off and re-sealed it. I specifically had them write Mobil 1 oil on the work order. What do you think the chances are that:

1) They used Mobil 1.
2) The oil pan was actually the problem.

May never know on (1). (Maybe I should just drain the oil when I get home.)
Will know within a few hundred miles on (2).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I go to pickup my car. I smile at the service writer and say "did you use Mobil 1?" He says "we sure did." I go out and get in my car. I start it up. It starts missing pretty badly. Normally it lives in a heated garage so I figure it must be upset about being in 10 degree F weather all night. I wait for it to warm up and the missing goes away. I try to drive off. It is missing so violently I almost hurt myself. I couldn't even get to the end of their driveway. I turn around and limp it back over to the service bay. The manager comes out, starts it up, moves it, comes back in and says "it was missing still." AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG! What did they beat my car to within an inch of it's life while they had it???! This is so frustrating I am on the verge of dumping this car.......

:swearin: :swearin: :swearin:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am far from an expert on this drivetrain. If it turns out to be a main seal, should I be concerned that he clutch or transmission has suffered abnormal wear?
[/b]
if it is the main seal then have your clutch replaced because it is more than likely soaked in oil. your transmission should have any problems other than the inside the bell housing maybe covered in oil.

oil pan is most likely the problem and they probably did use mobil one

·
Registered
826 Posts
Delicious problem....not really

Should I be wary looking out for it at my first oil check? And whats the chance I'll need my clutch replaced? Because I don't trust the idiots that are passed off as mechanics at my mazda dealer. They don't know jack squat about a speed 6, being that only 3 were ever purchased from them.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i wouldn't worry about it being the main bearing seal, while there is a possibility of it being that. i doubt it, when i looked at it, it looked like the oil pan pan gasket. it's becoming a problem with a lot of cars because they no longer use a actual gasket, they use either permatex or some kind of rtv sealant. my dads new gt just went into the shop for the same thing.

i would just look for a leak in between where the oil pan joins with the transmission, that's where the leak would be coming from also, check the oil pressure sensor as they use a teflon tape that can leak a bit from there also.

i doubt you will need you clutch replaced unless it is the main bearing seal. and mechanics don't need to know about the speed6, once you've completely torn apart a modern 4 cyl car, they are pretty much basically the same.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry...I have to vent again....

Dealership just called. The "experts" think that it has something to do with the programmer I have plugged into my OBDII port. I told them that is a ScanGauge II fuel computer and it only READS OBD II sensor values. Leave it to these people to immediately assume instead of actually fixing the problem. I told them when I dropped the car off what the ScanGauge II does and that they are welcome to unplug it. This is absolutely ludicrous!

:swearin: :swearin: :swearin: :swearin: :swearin:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts