Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just had the welcome illumination pack installed in my Mazda 6 2017, I was under the impression there would be a switch to turn the light always on or only when opening doors.
Anybody knows where that switch is located?

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
I'm not familiar with this particular product, but in order to make something be able to switch between 'always on' and "only with doors open" would require some splicing of wires and/or breaking into the car's CPU.

The only way, that I'm aware of, to get your lights to turn on with only the doors is to directly splice into the wires going to the door lights. The only way to get the lights to be on all the time would be to splice into something like a 12v outlet. In order to do both, you'd need a relay and a switch and to connect to both sources.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my previous cars i also had this installed and it was always on, so i was a little surprised that it was not in the Mazda.
Guess i will have to talk to the dealer, maybe they have a solution.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are you referring to the interior footwell lamps or the exterior under body lighting?

As far as I know, with the interior footwell lighting, dealers will drill a small hole and install a switch beneath the switch cluster. As for the exterior lighting, duration is adjusted via MZD connect, at least in the Japanese market.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you wanted to install your own switch, you could use the schematic that I drew up to have dual operation for 1 light source just as you are describing. When I drew it up, for some reason I though I would need to use diodes but there is no need for them. Just omit them and it will work just fine with no feedback.

In this thread and the small video, I have the door light ground and a direct ground on the throw sides of a 3 way rocker switch with a wire on the center post leading to the led ground. The led positive is constant fused.
https://forum.mazda6club.com/1st-gen/433794-help-led-wiring.html

Reactions: Jacob Rudolph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you referring to the interior footwell lamps or the exterior under body lighting?

As far as I know, with the interior footwell lighting, dealers will drill a small hole and install a switch beneath the switch cluster. As for the exterior lighting, duration is adjusted via MZD connect, at least in the Japanese market.

I am refering to the interior footwell lights :)
Where is the switch cluster located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driver side, where the lane departure/Keep assist switch is located, they might drill a kill switch near the hood release too depending on the model, that's if you purchased a genuine kit anyways, if not you'd have to splice a switch in yourself.

By the way, if anyone cares.

It is a genuine kit, installed by professional Mazda people but no switch :frown2:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would take it to where you got the work done and ask them where the switch is and or if they could put one in. If Mazda people installed it, see if they would do it as part of what you already paid for assuming there would of had a switch installed with the package. Worth a shot and if they mess something up it's on them lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts