Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that whenever I would floor the pedal for too long, especially after a cold start, I would detect a weird smell that would go away after a minute. This only happened a couple of times, could this be just the tires burning?

·
Registered
266 Posts
What year?

Only car that I experience exhaust fumes inside when going past 5000 rpms.
Many people said it would go away after the car gets older, it improved but still noticeable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yup, just your catalytic converter. Normal on every car I’ve owned....Some just more noticeable/strong odors than others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is a 3rd gen

so is normal? I only noticed it a couple of times since I owned the car for 2 years now, only when I would floor the pedal too much

·
Super Moderator
16,829 Posts
You're fine with the smell but I'm weary of the way that you say you "floor the pedal for too long" when it's cold because that's definitely a good way to create premature engine breakdown.....

·
Rally Racer
2,031 Posts
You're fine with the smell but I'm weary of the way that you say you "floor the pedal for too long" when it's cold because that's definitely a good way to create premature engine breakdown.....
I'm with Stephen on this one. While you don't have to wait around at all really to "warm up", the motor should be at or very near operating temp before asking a lot of the motor. Many new cars will vary the allowable REV limit depending on temperature.
The eggy/sulphur smell is a normal smell when the catalyst overheats. The more unburnt fuel that makes it to the catalytic converter the faster and hotter the catalyst reaction. Cold engines run a richer fuel mixture than warm ones and therefor dump more poorly combusted fuel into the exhaust. If this persists over time (say a misfire) the catalyst material itself overheats and breaks down into ceramic dust. This is what killed so many 1st gen v6's.
Let it warm up before you flog the poor thing. 🙂

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not saying I disagree with what anyone has said here; however, I would first ask if you're running an ethanol-blended fuel? I run 93 octane gas, which is blended with ethanol to achieve the higher octane number. A couple benefits of ethanol is it's typically less expensive and burns hotter, which typically means cleaner. The smell you are noticing could certainly be the larger quantity of ethanol fumes admitted by heavy acceleration burns.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does “weird” = rotten egg? I’m not at all certain I understand what kind of smell you detect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts