Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As I noted way back in June with a different post I had (Electrical problem) that the issue was resolved, NOPE.....could not be so lucky.
This issue has reoccurred several times, I go back disconnect the battery, clean and reclean grounds and it then seems to go away for a while 1, 2, 3 weeks even a month sometimes but then comes back.
This is my daughter's car and she decided to take it to our local garage, they came back to her and said that they were 90% sure it was a faulty Headlight switch assembly (the switch that is in the steering column that you turn to switch on the dashboard, parking, and headlights). Anyhow, she decided to go for it and $200+ later, the issue came back less than a week later. So then I went back to our local garage and told them that the issue is still occurring. They offered to recheck the car for free, so now they are telling me that the problem is with the Transmission Contol Module. I decided to not let me do any more service to the car so I can do my own research on this. I searched online and found that the symptoms I am getting could be caused by a faulty Transmission Contol Module. But what puzzles me about this, is that the issue does not occur if I do not turn on the lights. Having a tough time correlating switching on the headlight switch and the issue occurring being a faulty Transmission Control module. To remind all of what the problem is, I turn on the headlight switch (does not need to be all the way over to headlight setting), then various dashboard lights flash on/off and the Tach and speedometer needle bounces up and down. I can also feel that the transmission does not properly automatically switch gears when I slow down or accelerate.
I appreciate any of your thoughts on this weird issue.
Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello all,

As I noted way back in June with a different post I had (Electrical problem) that the issue was resolved, NOPE.....could not be so lucky.
This issue has reoccurred several times, I go back disconnect the battery, clean and reclean grounds and it then seems to go away for a while 1, 2, 3 weeks even a month sometimes but then comes back.
This is my daughter's car and she decided to take it to our local garage, they came back to her and said that they were 90% sure it was a faulty Headlight switch assembly (the switch that is in the steering column that you turn to switch on the dashboard, parking, and headlights). Anyhow, she decided to go for it and $200+ later, the issue came back less than a week later. So then I went back to our local garage and told them that the issue is still occurring. They offered to recheck the car for free, so now they are telling me that the problem is with the Transmission Contol Module. I decided to not let me do any more service to the car so I can do my own research on this. I searched online and found that the symptoms I am getting could be caused by a faulty Transmission Contol Module. But what puzzles me about this, is that the issue does not occur if I do not turn on the lights. Having a tough time correlating switching on the headlight switch and the issue occurring being a faulty Transmission Control module. To remind all of what the problem is, I turn on the headlight switch (does not need to be all the way over to headlight setting), then various dashboard lights flash on/off and the Tach and speedometer needle bounces up and down. I can also feel that the transmission does not properly automatically switch gears when I slow down or accelerate.
I appreciate any of your thoughts on this weird issue.
Thanks

Tony
I thought that I had replied in the other thread about the headlights. It sound like its the headlights themselves. These old lights have wires that the insulation cracks and falls off. When you turn on the lights, you could be causing a short in them.

When I 1st bought my 6s, I didn't know anything about it. One day I was driving across 1 of the many bridges that we have in Jacksonville and my car started to do what you are talking about. Come to find out, when I bought the car, it had the wrong group size battery in it. It was too tall and had worn through the insulation on the hood and was grounding the battery. I had never noticed it before until I was driving on a bumpy bridge.

I'd take the back cover of the lights off and use a scope or a mirror to look into the headlights to see the condition of the wires. I know my 03 wires are kinda crusty but they will be replace shortly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts