Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed oil and filter (Fram Xtended Guard XG2) on Saturday. Sunday evening, I noticed some suspicious drips under the car. Long story short: turns out the filter itself failed. Looks like it was leaking from the seam between the end cap (the bit with the threads) and the canister.

Has anyone else ever seen a filter fail? Did I just get unlucky and buy a defective filter, or is there something that might have caused the filter to fail?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The rubber gasket should seal off the oil filter.
I have had the rubber gasket from the old oil filter stick onto the filter mount, and when a new filter was put on, the combination of having two rubber gaskets on the filter made it leak. Check to see if your old rubber gasket is stuck up there.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
The rubber gasket should seal off the oil filter.
I have had the rubber gasket from the old oil filter stick onto the filter mount, and when a new filter was put on, the combination of having two rubber gaskets on the filter made it leak. Check to see if your old rubber gasket is stuck up there.
That.

Also, I hate to bring it up, but… Fram sucks balls.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree I have never had any luck with Fram, on my bike and on my cars. THey always seems to cause problems after a few 200-1500 miles.

But YMMV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm Having a similar problem, but mine is caused from a hairline crack in the plastic oil filter housing itself. That may be a possibility, I have heard that the plastic housing have a history of this problem

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
WIX FTW!

Ditto on the double gasket! That'll blow out and DUMP ALL THE OIL IN A HEARTBEAT!

These are the fort knoxx of oil filters. This is off the bike, but they are well constructed!

When Bad things happen; Open the Oil Filter!
As this title depicts, sometimes there is value in cutting open ones oil filter. Nope, not a Mazda part but a very well constructed WIX filter from 2008 Yamaha FZ6.
---
You need a drill 3/16" dia, drill two holes about a 1/2" apart right next to the end of the filter. With a pair of Tin Snips, cut between the two holes and continue around the filter until the element comes out. With the element out, you can inspect it. Any metal chunks made will not likely LOOK LIKE shrapnel from inside the engine so don't worry about that. >> The main reason I use tin snips versus a cut off wheel.

What i didn't expect: Breaking into Fort Knox of oil filters! Holly [email protected], WIX filters ARE WELL CONSTRUCTED!!!! They are Very heavy and now I see why! Lots of steel reinforcement and potting. Take your time and make cuts and roll the tin like a tuna can to open and expose the element. Pull it out and see what you find.

- 3/16" or bigger drill bit
- Tin Snips
- Pliers
- maybe a screw driver if WIX made filter
- Gloves, cause one slip and you'll be cut open

Goal: Open the filter and inspect the pleats for foreign material.
The oil pickup screen will stop the big chunks but little bits can be found here. In this case, nothing was found! :)

Here it is opened up:

A spring is the first thing, it holds the filter in place:

FORT KNOX of filter elements:

Filter Media is Clean!!:

By-pass valve and spring. Notice potting material boding the element to the housing:

Construction Details:
- the inlet of the filter has the anti-drain back valve (rubber flap) so the pump doesn't have to refill the filter upon each engine start.
-the first spring out after chopping the end off is to keep the filter media in place at the housing inlet.
- the little spring and disk inside the filter media is the by pass spring should the filter plug oil is unfiltered but circulating through this valve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not so sure about just blaming it on Fram. I've always used the Xtended Guard (mainly cause it's what's available at the nearest store) and never had a problem. The people over at Bob the Oil Guy seem to think the Xtended Guard is a good filter. Anyway, I suppose the odd dud is inevitable when they make millions of them. I just won the lottery.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Anyway, I suppose the odd dud is inevitable when they make millions of them.
I just won the lottery.

:huh: :lol::lol::lol: ^^ Thanks for the Chuckle! Sorry you're suffering in-spite of the Winning Streak! :p

Good luck! Hope it all works out and DON'T run it out of OIL!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got a new filter on there and I'm watching it like a hawk. So far so good. I used the dealer locator on the WIX site to find a local source. Think I'll be switching filter brands for the next oil change.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not so sure about just blaming it on Fram. I've always used the Xtended Guard (mainly cause it's what's available at the nearest store) and never had a problem. The people over at Bob the Oil Guy seem to think the Xtended Guard is a good filter. Anyway, I suppose the odd dud is inevitable when they make millions of them. I just won the lottery.
Fram historically makes lower end filters. Yes mistakes can happen to anyone, but are typically more likely in the more cheaply designed and constructed products.

I'd hedge my bet w/ higher end stuff and take my chances.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts