Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, now that its warm I've been driving around with the windows open and I have been hearing a weird noise coming from the car only when I accelerate. I'm sure you all heard those old cars, like 85 pontiacs and overused taxi cabs with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and when they accelerate you can hear the entire engine block vibrating and making that GUT WRENCHING sound, like rolling tin cans on the floor or steel banging against other steel pieces. well the same thing happens with my car. when I accelerate, slightly not pushing it, the noise starts at about 1800 rpms in 2nd gear and goes until the gear switches to 3rd. same thing happens in 3rd until it switches to 4th and same thing in 4th until 5th. the fifth gear and the first gears are quite as a sleeping baby. It didn't happen last year, when I bought the car and it started a little before this winter. I have 14500 miles on it and I never push my car, oil changes every 3500 miles. I rarely rev it up past 3000 rpms. I initialy thought it were the belts, but then when I leave the car in park or neutral and rev the engine it sounds very smooth. its only happens when I'm in gear that the sound occurs. so I'm thinking it could be the gear box (by the way I have 04, 6s ATX). I'm past the point of annoyance and at this point I'm very much concerned. I brought the car to the dealer 3 months ago and the tech drove it and said all is fine, but the sound is there and fairly loud with the windows open and very noticable with the windows closed. I can even hear it over other traffic accelerating on the highway (that qualifies as loud in my book). the problem is the sound is not persistant and sometimes its there and other times its not. today for example, it was present throughout the whole day, but tomorrow it might be a little subdued, which might make it difficult for a tech driving my car to hear.
I will gladly take anything you guys have to say and hopefully with your suggestions and remarks I can take it to a dealer and hopefully have the issue resolved.
Thanks in advance fellas, Bryan.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Bryan,

Here are some suggestions.

1) Next trip to the dealer, ask to have a tech ride along with you, so you can demonstrate the noise your hearing. Alot of the times when customers drop a car off with a description of a problem to a dealership, its quite difficult for the tech's to reproduce the problem exactly. The solution to this issue to have them ride along with you, so you can reproduce the problem for them.

2) Is there another dealership in your area? If #1 doesn't work, you can always seek out another dealer for tech service.

3) When was the last time you checked your ATX fluid level? (Remember it should be checked with the car running, warmed up, in park). What condition is the fluid? Is it a dark red? Has it turned brown or black with flakes in the fluid?

Here's an example of what the fluid should look like when a drop is placed on a towel.

Top drop is fresh Mercon V.

Your description of "steel banging against steel" is not very happy. I'd say its one of the following.

1)
Your wishbone engine mount is broken, and the engine is slapping back and forth between the remaining bushing in the mount.

The solution here is just to replace the mount with a new one.

2) Internal components of the transmission are damaged/destroyed. This requires the entire transmission be replaced.

3) You have rod knock. The short block must be replaced.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot crossbow. I checked the tranny fluid and its deffinatelly on the brown side, which means one thing. it has to be replaced. as far other possible causes, I will bring up to the dealer and will deffinatelly take a ride with a tech. I will ask the dealer to inspect the wishbone engine mount. I do have another dealer that I will go to if this time I will get same results as last time. problem is, that i live in an area that has very wide street and the sound dispurses very rapidly on wide streets, which makes it difficult to hear. best and most noticable results are achieved when I drive next to a concrete divider or a one way street with cars on both sides. but I guess I'll just have to take the tech on a ride to such a location. however, I greatly appreciate your input as it allowed me to have at least some possible causes for the problem. thanks a lot crossbow.
p.s. as far your possible diagnosis of rod knock and the replacement of the short block as a solution, I'm assuming its covered under warranty, regardless, is it easily inspected by the dealer???? same question for the tranny problems. thanks again crossbow

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as to the problem being the engine mounts, being that the sound occurs only when I'm in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears and the sound is not present when I'm in 1st and 5th gears and when I rev the engine in park and neutral, would that rull out the mounts. since the engine would still be vibrating and bouncing around in 1st 5th and park and neutral???? I've reved the engine to about 3000 rpm in both park and neutral and the engine sounds brand new. I'm thinking that if it was the engine mounts then the sound would occur due to the bouncing engine regardless of what gear I'm in. what do you think crossbow????

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The engine really only torques back/forth when under load. When you sit still in neutral and rev the engine, its not under any load. You will get minimal movement if you are in neutral reving (not really good for the car btw).

You can inspect the wishbone mount yourself if you have some rhino ramps.
I still stand by my original recommendations.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine really only torques back/forth when under load. When you sit still in neutral and rev the engine, its not under any load. You will get minimal movement if you are in neutral reving (not really good for the car btw).

You can inspect the wishbone mount yourself if you have some rhino ramps.
I still stand by my original recommendations.
[/b]
thanks again crossbow. I'm taking the car into the shop tommorrow. I'll have them flush out the tranny oil and hopefully i can go on a ride along with a tech. and I'll mention other possible causes for the noise, and see what they say. also, what is the location of the short block????? no body I know seems to know anything about it. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
crossbow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing