Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum...pardon me if this is something common but didn't come up with anything in search. Looking for help on tracking down the source of the problem...

Odd issue that just started happening - 2009 Mazda 6i.
While driving, the radio shuts off. When it does, the key light and security indicator lights flash a couple of times and go off. The DSC, Traction Control, ABS and Brake lights all come on and won't turn off until the car is restarted. If you keep driving, the radio will come back on with the "hello message".

The first time it happened last week I parked the car, it would not turn off or go out of park. It finally shut off after about half an hour of trying (push button) and restarted as normal. All of the above happens every time it's driven except the issue of turning off the car. Sometimes it happens several times per trip to work (half hour drive).

We've been having trouble with the key not unlocking the door/starting the car all winter. I don't know if it would have anything to do with this, just thought I need a new key. Other than that no other issues with the car - just over 120,000 miles.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated...I live an hour and a half from a dealership :p I'm typically good at the mechanical side of things, electrical loses me on diagnosing...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Almost sounds like a BCM issue, and something the dealer should look at, unfortunately. Are you getting any codes?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Adding to what GerryB suggested, you might check (or have checked) your alternator output. If the diode goes out it can do some mighty weird electrical things. Also, if you have anything plugged into the cigarette lighter outlets you might remove them to see if that makes a difference.

For the alternator diagnosis, if electrical loses you then GerryB is right, the dealer or a skilled and reputable local shop should look at it. Having a scope helps with this for sure.

Of course both GerryB and I could be wrong and it could be something totally different, but you have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check the Alternator, but after a bit of looking it sounds to be the BCM...nice and expensive. It looks easy enough to swap out, but will it require programming if I get one specific to my VIN from Mazda? If so I'll have them do it - I've just had bad experiences with dealerships "fixing" $100 problems and turning it into $1000.

It looks like older model 6's had similar problems due to leaks around the BCM...Don't know yet if that's the case here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever solve the issue? I've just begun having identical symptoms within the last week. I initially assumed this relates to the serpentine belt or alternator as I just replaced the belt but the symptoms just seen too varied.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had to take my 6 to the dealer as it wouldn't turn off for twenty minutes when I got to work. System 'rebooted' while driving to dealer long enough to be able to turn it off there. As an extra bonus, when the dealer told me they couldn't look at it today, it wouldn't turn on forcing me to leave it.

Conclusion, don't wait if your symptoms match.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Mazda 6 GT is doing the exact same thing. For weeks I have no issues, then all of the sudden it goes into nightmare mode. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just had the exact same issue happening on my 2009 GTA (as the v6 is not avail in Europe, it is the highest trim 2.5l)
Anybody got to he root cause of the problem? Do I need a new BCM?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So in the end, did anyone find a solution to this problem? Was it the BCM? Or the alternator? I am experiencing the exact same problems that Dilhack did. Any tips would be of great help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts