Mazda 6 Forums banner
141 - 160 of 191 Posts

· Registered
561 Posts
That color is pretty close to my wood trim... Can you get a tape measure on it for height? I could be very interested in taking it off your hands if the size and price is right.

I would never buy the used leather wrapped oem knobs because once the outer finish on the leather goes...forget about it. That is the good thing about the wood that it won't wear out like the leather.
3in height. They will do full refund and I just have to eat up the shipping, although the paperwork says something about a restock fee, but the website return policy does not so I am awaiting an answer which may work in your favor if there is some BS restock fee they try to hit me with.

· Registered
339 Posts
@Deemo13, nice W123 240D 4MT. Reminds me of one of my old man's oilburners..simply indestructible, built like a German panzer. I never forget those cars...no one builds them, like they used to. :thumbup:
Thanks ExB5! Its in the process of getting a turbodiesel and I am mating it to the 4-speed. If I crashed into a tree in that thing I would make sure the tree was alright lol.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Does this knob only work on the newer 6's? I'm looking to get a heavier knob for my 1st gen.
The knob thread pitch for Mazda is M10x1.25mm. As long as a shift knob has that thread spec (ditto for Nissan, Infiniti, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Kia, etc)...you're good to go.

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Ballsy, I can't thank you enough for turning me onto the wood version of the miata knob. I got it for $107 shipped from the website at the beginning of this thread. As you can see from the attached photo it goes pretty good with my interior setup. Also, because it is wood it doesn't get hot in direct sunlight which is really nice. And it is surprisingly heavy, I think it is a wood sleeve over a steel core with a plastic threaded insert.

I started another thread that also discusses shortening the shift lever and adding the solid bushings to the shift lever mount, which in my opinion is something people should do if they add one of these heavy knobs, as the gates get sloppier with the extra weight.

Attachments

· Registered
87 Posts
Solar365, the knob couldn't be a better match.

I've chosen to keep the same knob as I love the feel. Not quite the match it is for yours, but not entirely out of place either in my Sport interior. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

I haven't shortened the post or changed the bushings, but by itself, the weighted knob really improves the shift quality IMO. A weighted knob should really come standard. I don't notice any additional slop from the added weight, but your mileage may vary.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
561 Posts
3/8" is too small by a fair bit -- it will not go on the shaft.
Threw my miata weighted shifter on tonight, pulling that stupid console up not 5 days after driving it off the lot had me tense....felt like I was going to snap flimsy plastic up towards the shift knob section :eek: But it came up eventually. I went with the 3/8" washers from HD and they fit just fine as previously stated. Used 9 to be exact and I fully agree with the improvements in the feel of the throws!

· Registered
561 Posts
Just quick update for those interested in doing this in future. As stated by @mpfjelsted, 3/8" washers do fit perfect. I also put on 9 washers as he did, though unsure of thickness of his. The knob screwed down until flush with the boot BUT it was not to the knobs thread end point so there was still rotation with knob. Tonight I removed console (took 1 min since comfortable after last night haha) and removed 5 of the 9 washers and the knob threaded to its endpoint with slightest gap b/w boot. Added 1 washer to equal 5 total on the rod and screwed knob to end point of thread and it finished really snug not only on rod but also against the boot. No more rotation (and over 1/4" lower knob height)!

· Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Look what the cat dragged in..have 2 of these (similar to hockey puck material hard rubber) grommets, on hand. Gives new meaning to the term.."Garage Find". :D

I measured the inner diameter hole..and it's approx 0.40". With the proper trimmings...you know where this slides under. Options, indeed...;)
Update:

Above rubber grommet...inside this:

Equals

With rubber grommet slipped inside...collar has no play at all. A custom and tight "perfect" fit.

P.S. Should've posted this..a long time ago. So there. :D

· Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I've been looking everywhere for this! But every time I place an order I always get my money refunded because the "item has been discontinued". I really want this knob but cant find it anywhere!! Can anyone help me locate one?
I had the same issue. Couldn't find it anywhere and ended up going with an aftermarket knob. Sad day.

· Premium Member
1,078 Posts
which knob did you go with?
I ended up with
and I love it. Matches the seats/steering wheel leather perfectly. I do wish that it had a shift pattern on it, but I just couldn't find anything patterned that I liked. I did have to cut down the shift lever by ~5/8" for it to fit (and I've been procrastinating on doing a write up).

141 - 160 of 191 Posts