Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any practical, cheap, and easy do-it-yourself ways to reduce the weight of a car?

Lightweight tires (once the tires need replacing) is one, replacing the spare with a fix-a-flat kit is another. Using a lightweight battery also helps, as does keeping the gas tank low, but the latter isn't too practical.

Anything else? Any tricks?

I was surprised to hear that Duratech's headers slimmed the 6s by about 50lbs- pretty significant! Since I just threw a ~35lb subwoofer in the trunk and whether it's significant or not, it nags at my mind like there's an anchor attatched over my rear axle.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Weight Reduction

Light weight wheels and tires are the best start, the flywheel is also another good mod. Most performance parts, ie intake, exhaust and headers, usually weigh less than their stock counterparts. carbon fiber hood, light weight battery, light weight brakes, rear windshield, sound deadening material, back seat. Trouble is, most of these involve custom parts that are not yet out, and may or may not be made. The spare tire and jack weight in at about 40lb. (I weighed them). A lighter battery might get your 15-20lb. Lighter wheels might also get you 20lb. I would love to knock 200lb off my car, have a good v6 in a sedan that weighs 3000lb.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Weight Reduction

Forged wheels are lighter and can shave some weight off, and since you reduce the spinning mass, you gain back some hp. Like you said, eliminating the spare would work too. If you have the money, getting titanium mufflers to match up to Duratech's header mod would help save some weight over the stock mufflers while freeing up some power. Maybe even ceramic brakes like the 911 has optional. :) Don't know if anyone makes those for the aftermarket, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts