Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to get the V6 5spd and find some creative ways to bring the weight down some from its factory 3243lb. I'm planning on replacing the 16inch alloys with some 17inch light weight wheels and tires (save 15-20lb) (not a big fan of the aero package); in addition, a light weight battery (20lb off the fornt axle) and some light weight front brakes (10lb?). I'm not looking to tear the car up, but I was wondering of anyone had any other thoughts or ideas. I'm also not going with the moonroof which shold save some weight as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Replying to Topic 'weight reduction on the Mazda6 V6'

Hey Brillo,

Are you planning on racing with this car? :sarc
To me, the weight does not really matter since I won't be racing my $30K car, in fact I will take it very easy on it...

Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

To improve weight distribution a little, you could move the battery to the trunk. This also has other benefits as well, although you of course do lose some trunk space.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not planning on racing, but I might autocross with it. At the least I want to take it out to a track and have some fun with it. Weight reduction would improve handling, especially if I could get the weight distrib. to 55%F 45%R. Acceleration should also improve.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Autocrossing is regular people racing regular cars on a parking lot track racing against a clock. I don't know much else about it but it sounds really cool. There was an event held at the local mall a while ago I happened to see. I'm sure other autocross groups hold thier events a little differently all over though. Anyone else know more?

Edit:
Check out clubs in your region at autocross.com

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Sounds cool... Never in hell that my father would let me do that or do it himself... He gets somewhat grumpy when I rev over 4000 rmps.. It wears to much on the engine he says.

Constantly reving 6-7000 might weare on the car, but I doubt the normal "getting a little extra "push" from the red lights wears dangerously on the car... Just don't have the strenght to argue with him... It's after all his car and that...

·
Registered
319 Posts

Brillo,
I would say that if you are wanting a weight reduction, and you plan to autocross the car, the easiest thing to do is to skip the V6 and just get the I4. That should drop ~200lbs off the car instantly, and the car should be slightly more nimble than with the V6.

That's what I'd do in your situation. The I4 should be plenty of power for autocross.

·
Registered
577 Posts

At this point in time, I would have to agree with the statement to go with the 4 cylinder... Plus if you feel there is a shortage of power, dont worry, we will have plenty of go fast goodies for the 4 banger!

A Carbon Fiber hood will take off about 30pounds....

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm not to worried about the V6 weighing to much, a BMW 325i 5spd weighes in a 3219lb, and no one complains about handling with that car since the weight distribution is 50%/50%. The 6 is 60%/40% and has more power than the 325i, with a little tweaking, I should be able to get the distrib. more like 55-57%/45-43% front to rear. I can't pass up the opportunity for a v6 5psd, they are basically impossible to get here in the states in most cars execpt German ones. Shave 80-100lb off the car and it will drive like a dream....I will drive both versions of the 6 though just to be sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts

If you want to shave some weight from the car, pull out the carpeting and remove all the sound-deadening material (tar--maybe 40-50 lbs). Then replace the carpeting.

Wheels as you said
Brakes (Wilwood Dynalite calipers 2.5 lbs each)
Look for aluminum coil-overs (should be coming out soon)
Carbon fiber hood
Light sealed battery
All of which will put you in a very competitive Autocross class, and take away from a lot of the fun.

Personally, when I get my Mazda 6, I am planning on only doing suspension upgrades and maybe some nice Volk Racing rims to set it apart from other Mazda's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts