Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are two ways to make a car go faster: 1. Add power/torque 2. Reduce weight

Since our options are so limited for our engine for adding power, then the next most logical step is to focus on removing weight, which anecdotally also improves gas mileage, braking, chassis stiffness, suspension stiffness and overall dynamic response of the car.

Performance impact of weigh removal (from most to least):
1. Components that move back and forth within the engine (valves, pistons, connecting rods)
2. Components that turn directly connected to the engine prior to any gear reduction (crankshaft, balancing shafts, flywheel, clutch, torque converter, harmonic damper, cam gears)
3. Components that turn relative to the wheels (Tires, wheels, cv joints, final drive of transmission)
4. Static components that just move with the car (everything besides the drivetrain and wheels)

Opportunities (Please help me with "?" for weights and items I've missed!):
Category 1:
Given the uniqueness of skyactiv, I'm not sure we will ever see anything available to address these components.
Perhaps lightweight Titanium valves and lifters and seats would be doable but who would bother?
Category 2:
Balance shaft delete kit-?
Lightweight flywheel kit-?
Harmonic damper (I wouldn't touch this!)-?
Adjustable lightweight cam gears-?
Category 3:
See this separate thread on wheel/tire weight: http://forum.mazda6club.com/wheels-...-tire-upgrade-considerations.html#post3997649
Category 4:
Trunk:
Spare Wheel & Tire and retainment stuff-26lbs (replace with roadside assistance and/or can of fix-a-flat
Jack- 5lbs?
short eyelet tow bolt- 1lb?
Foam and trunk floor rug- 3lbs?
Plastic Trays behind wheel wells- 3lbs?

Interior:
Floor Mats- .5lbs each?
Passenger Seat-?
Rear Seats including headrests-?
Rear seat Headrests only-4 lbs
Front Door Panels-?
Rear Door Panels-?
Carpeting-?
Stereo Head Unit-?
Speakers-?

Engine Bay:
Engine Plastic Cover- 3-4lbs?
Battery-30lbs stock. Can cut it to 15 pounds with Braille battery http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/296393-lightweight-battery-mod.html#post3898297
A/C compressor along with any mounting provisions, piping and belt-?
Windsheild Washer Fluid-11lbs to fill bottle only. probably 13lbs total to top off neck which is probably enough to spray for 20 minutes straight. It took me 40 minutes to gravity drain from the hose exit.
Windshield washer Bottle-2lbs

Exhaust:
Axleback/Muffler- Stock 38lbs. I got it down to roughly 14 lbs with a single side exhaust http://forum.mazda6club.com/engine-drivetrain/297345-post-your-custom-exhaust-here.html#post3909297 Racing Beat unit is 28lbs, Corksport prototype was 26lbs, and Tanabe's Medallion will be lighter, but as of yet neither CS or Tanabe has put theirs into production
Resonator-?
Main Catalytic Converter-?

Exterior:
Hood-? HEAVY. Carbon fiber hood could drop some good front end weight if one comes available

Suspension:
Springs (All 4)-?
Struts/Shocks-?
Front Roll Bar-?
Rear Roll Bar-?

Driver Habits:
Gas: 6lbs/gallon. Never fill the tank up more than it takes to go one week between fill ups if you have a short driving routine. I always only fill my tank with 6 gallons from "0 miles left." So by passing on the other 8-10 gallons I'm running another 50-60lbs below curb weight max.
Hoarding: Your car is not the place to hoard things you never use. Leave the owners manual on your workbench not in the glovebox, that's a few pounds right there. Clean your car out regularly. Never store bags of coins, they are heavy. Ditch the old fashioned CD case for a thumb drive or ipod or...

Curb Weight (full fluids including gas) data for our car vs others worth comparing it to:
2013 Mazda 6i MTX- 3340lbs per C/D (19.65lbs/hp
2014 Mazda 6 sport MTX-3107lbs per M/T 3124lbs per C/D (16.97lbs/hp
2014 Mazda 6 Sport ATX-?
2014 Mazda 6 Touring MTX- 3142lbs per M/T (17.07lbs/hp
2014 Mazda 6 Touring ATX base-?
2015 Mazda 6 Touring ATX w/bose/moonroof-3262lbs per M/T (17.72lbs/hp
2014 Mazda 6 GT W/o iELOOP-3275lbs per M/T (17.79lbs/hp
2014 Mazda 6 GT w/ iELOOP-?
2014 Mazda 3i sedan- 2878lbs per M/T
2014 Mazda 3s 5-door w/ iELOOP- 3094lbs per M/T (16.81lbs/hp
2013 Honda Accord Sport MTX-3276lbs per C/D (17.33lbs/hp
2013 Honda Accord Sport CVT-3327lbs per M/T (17.6lbs.hp
2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 - 3238lbs per M/T
2013 Ford Fusion Titatium (2.0 Ecoboost) FWD- 3427lbs per KBB (14.27lbs/hp
2013 Ford Fusion Titatium (2.0 Ecoboost) AWD- 3681lbs per A/W (15.33lbs/hp
2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6 Ecoboost FWD - ?
2015 Chevy Malibu -3495lbs per M/T (17.4lbs/hp
2015 Kia Optima -3384lbs per M/T (17.6lbs/hp
2015 Hundai Sonata -?
2015 Volks GTI MTX-2978lbs per R/T (13.54lbs/hp wow, great power to weight ratio on this car, it should fly)
2014 Audi A4 - 3615lbs per Audi (not sure which transmission)
2015 Subaru WRX STI MTX- 3367lbs per M/T (11.04lbs/hp

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've personally done the following...

Battery replacement
Removed windshield washer fluid and bottle
Engine cover
Everything in the trunk except the long tow hook (so my car can be towed if it has to be)
replaced the axlback with single side custom exhaust.

With that, I'm down ~90lbs in weight which should put my Tourign MTX base at about 3060lbs which is getting pretty light relative to its class. Heck it's lighter than the Mazda 3s.

There is no visual indication in the interior or exterior of any weight reduction.

I will replace the wheels and tires and flywheel and catalytic converter in the distant future, which should get me down to 3k, which is my objective for this car.

Potentially I would consider a light weight hood and deleting the balance shafts if the price was right, which it probably won't be.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Very helpful. Thanks solar. Possibly with these weight reductions, we could get 0-60 in the high 6s.

According to Mazda website. 2015 Mazda 6 MTX is 3183 lbs and the ATX is 3232 lbs. Only a 49lbs difference ? That doesn't make sense. I'll check my brochures of the 14 and 15 M6 when I get home later.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ok . I checked the curb weight in both the 14 & 15 Mazda 6 brochures as well as the 2014 Mazda 3.

2014/2015 Mazda 6
Mtx 3183 lb
Atx. 3223 lb

2014 Mazda 3 4 door 2.0L i models
Mtx 2781 lb
Atx 2848 lb
2014 Mazda 3 hatchback 2.0L i models
Mtx 2797 lb
Atx 2855 lb
2014 Mazda 3 2.5 L s models
Atx only 4 door 2982lb
Atx only hatchback 3002lb

Hope this helps. You need to knock off 181lb+ to reach a 2.5L Mazda 3 curb weight.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok . I checked the curb weight in both the 14 & 15 Mazda 6 brochures as well as the 2014 Mazda 3.

2014/2015 Mazda 6
Mtx 3183 lb
Atx. 3223 lb

2014 Mazda 3 4 door 2.0L i models
Mtx 2781 lb
Atx 2848 lb
2014 Mazda 3 hatchback 2.0L i models
Mtx 2797 lb
Atx 2855 lb
2014 Mazda 3 2.5 L s models
Atx only 4 door 2982lb
Atx only hatchback 3002lb

Hope this helps. You need to knock off 181lb+ to reach a 2.5L Mazda 3 curb weight.
thanks, but yeah I'd seen the Mazda 6 numbers before.

I don't really trust the factory numbers as I'm not sure what the assumptions are and how they are smearing the weight of the option packages. They may not even be country specific.

I guess the variable with the magazine test curb weights is gas tank fullness at the time of weighing. But the mazda3s 5door with ieloop rang in at 3094 motor trend a case in point that the factory numbers aren't an upper bound. Per the 6 manual max gvw the auto weighs 62 lbs more which I'll believe more than the published numbers.

I'm thinking my touring base mtx is probably about 3160 with a full tank. I think the Bose audio and moonroof is likely 30-40lbs. I think ieloop is 40 lbs? Leather adds some weight too over vinyl or cloth.

351 Posts
Now that you have cut the weight by 90lb, do you feel any difference in any way?
he does, but he attributes it to intake and mufflers:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
he does, but he attributes it to intake and mufflers:rolleyes:
I did my weight reductions first! The muffler being the final item I did which acheived a 25 lb reduction, which is why I did it before the intake mod.

So 65lbs without any performance mods, I did 50lbs at once, then the battery then the exhaust, it's a bit tough to get excited about each incremental change, but it has added up.

You can do a test yourself. Gas is roughly 6lbs per gallon. So pay attention to how your car drives when it is down to about 1/4 of a tank. Then fill it up and notice the difference. That is what a 60lb weight change feels like.

Run the tank to empty and fill it up and that is what a 90-100lb weight reduction feels like.

I'm going to add power to weight ratios to the OP later and it's useful in converting weight reduction to max power changes. For example at 15lbs per 1hp 60lbs is equal to 4 hp and 90lbs is equal to 6 hp. Almost as much as any other mod can net us and the percentage improvement is there at every rpm of the engine. Stock, our car is roughly 17:1.

351 Posts
To TS:
Man! I'm helping you out with this thread and you're still throwing low blows!
Solar, I'm just teasing:) And since I'm married to a woman, you shouldn't be concerned with it:)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:unsure:I guess over inflating tires would add weight add well.
Maybe you're being sarcastic, but I decided to do the math anyways...

For the 19" wheel/tire combo 225/45-19 there is roughly 1 cubic foot of air inside. Air weighs .0807 lbs/cubic foot at standard atmosphere of 14.7 psi. Recommended pressure for our car is 35 psi delta which is actually 14.7+35 so roughly 50psi absolute. So the weight of the air in the stock tire at recommended pressure is .25 lbs

Even 10psi overpressure which would be enough to ruin your tires would only change the weight by less than a tenth of a pound.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I should do the wife and kids delete mod.. over 200lbs savings right there. (sorry solar, I had to!) I need to work on some of these. It would be nice to have the car at OEM curb weight with all of us in it, though!

Hoarder is what gets me.. I've got an extra 30lbs or so in the formula at all times...... except race nights, then she loses about 60lbs LOL. The 6.. ugh it probably has at LEAST an extra 40lbs of junk in it counting car seats :(

Don't forget diet-mod though!!! I recently dropped 30lbs from all of my cars, LMAO!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, to be totally honest I'm in exactly the same boat as you running two car seats, and sometimes with two kids and a wife. But those are independent things, because I could be doing that but 90 lbs heavier, so I'm still enjoying the weight reduction regardless of circumstances out of my control.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I like the fact that simply running a half a tank a gas or less plus emptying contents of the washer fluid is netting us a 3.52 hp gain . 48lb fuel + 12lb washer fluid / 17lb per hp = 3.52 hp. I'll get rid of the floor mats, rear head rests and trunk plastic cover also. Lightweight battery when it's time for a replacement. I don't feel safe without a spare tire and have heard that fix a flat ruins tires so that's staying put. Nice free mod here..:)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Fix-a flat also goops up the wheel, and is almost impossible to remove. The reality is I have Mazda road side assistance, and one better I have road side assistance through Safeco insurance, so It is highly likely I'll never use it. It's the backup to the backup.

Weigh the floor mats all together when you get a chance and let me know what it is, so I can update the OP.

Also keep in mind the AGM lightweight batteries can run double the life of a standard battery if taken care of. That how I justified to myself to replace the stock battery right away. Of course it cost twice as much as a regular battery, so that logic only gets you so far.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I wish I could've done the lightweight battery on my formula. I even had to replace it recently, but a high compression V8 with lots of timing doesn't particularly care for those. Sitting for a week or more on end doesn't help either :/

Gotta love that roadside!!! I plan to ditch the spare and get the Miata kit from mazda. Something like slime and a nice little DC tire inflator for $59.99 I think it was. The tire inflators in the store are that much and they're junk, I've borrowed that one a few times and it's nice!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The bigger the engine the heavier the battery, thus the bigger the weight saving when going AGM. So even if you bite the bullet for an oversize (by spec) AGM battery compared to stock, it could still be a significant weight savings...next time a battery dies off.

For somebody feeling rich there are also Litium Ion batteries available from Braille in our size now as well. Who knows, with some economies of scale perhaps the costs can come down to reasonable levels in time compared to AGMs.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The bigger the engine the heavier the battery, thus the bigger the weight saving when going AGM. So even if you bite the bullet for an oversize (by spec) AGM battery compared to stock, it could still be a significant weight savings...next time a battery dies off.

For somebody feeling rich there are also Litium Ion batteries available from Braille in our size now as well. Who knows, with some economies of scale perhaps the costs can come down to reasonable levels in time compared to AGMs.

those braille batteries are worth every penny. I DO plan on ordering one of those for my formula next time. I wasn't able to find one locally, and I was itching to drive it.... on the + side, with coupons and all I only gave $70 for the battery that's in the car (5yr advance auto battery). Worth that just to have a spare battery around, LOL! Lithium is expensive to produce for various reasons though. It's been around long enough now I don't think we'll be seeing a significant drop until the next big thing comes along... keep an eye out for that as these big boys are experimenting with hybrid tech. Formula 1 racing should bring quite the round of developments to us there! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Exterior:
Hood-? HEAVY. Carbon fiber hood could drop some good front end weight if one comes available
Amen. That hood on my new Mazda6 is massive! The relatively small hood and trunk lid on my stock '06 MX-5 is aluminum, and I wish Mazda had gone with that on the Mazda6 as well. I would think it would help in lowering the COG too. I guess it's all about cost, and it's not something you can see or appreciate on the showroom floor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.