Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone elses falling off like it was never attached at the top rear corner of the rear doors? BOTH of mine are like this. I just noticed it today, but honestly it looks like it came this way. There is a push-pin looking thing that I'm sure was suppose to hold them in place BEHIND the weatherstripping. Neither shows signs of wear or tearing but is completely unattached. Going in for an oil change friday.. so I'll be getting it taken care of. Just curious if any others have seen this.. if not, please check? LOL

·
Registered
916 Posts
Just went out and checked, all mine are firmly attached and tight. But i have heard of a few members here having a similar problem with the weather stripping coming off.

edit* i am dumb and looked at the cabin door frame, not the door :D. I checked the door, my stripping is secured tightly by the pin/snap in that corner. but right under it is quite loose and a finger pull will stretch it off the door where it seats. Its flimsy, but not coming off

here is a recent thread

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6-3rd-generation-2013-present/262132-weather-strip-warranty.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
On a recent hot day, mine stuck to the car a bit when I opened the doors and came off of the "push-pins". This happened to *both* rear doors! I just put it back on to the push-pin myself, but I *was* surprised that it came off so easily. Hasn't come off again since, but I'll be keeping my eye on it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that's what happened to mine... Not acceptable for it to keep falling off. Our CX7 has a little spot the weather stripping keeps coming down too on the pass side front door, but I just figure the old owner tore some of what holds it up there somehow... now I'm beginning to wonder about that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm picking up some 3M weather stripping adhesive, this should call it a day. Not big enough of a deal to take it to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm more concerned about down the road long term. I plan on keeping this six around a long time unless they come out with a super impressive speed version and maintain north of 30MPG with over 300HP :p. My 12 year old car is having some issues from weakened weatherstripping already, I can only imagine what this will do in 5 years.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
went in to the dealer today, they just pushed the pins back in for now because the service manager took his first day off in over 3 years LOL. Will report back next week after he takes a look at it. They said most likely the entire weatherstripping will have to be replaced to keep it from being a recurrent problem. One side had actually torn a little where the plastic head goes to keep it in place, but even the other side keeps coming loose :(

After fiddling around with all of the weatherstripping today though, I have to say it seems VERY flimsy. I see how wind could easily push through and is where a lot of the wind noise comes from. It brand new is very similiar to my 10+ year old pontiacs weather stripping. It'll keep the water out.. most of it at least, but high pressure and wind, forget about it. I'm interested to see what happens to it in the car wash if I ever run mine through LOL

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
swung by the dealer on my way in to work this morning (not even 5 minutes out of my way and they get there at 7AM). The service manager was in this morning, and is going to look into it with Mazda. He said the only option really was to replace the weatherstripping and he didn't want to do that if it would do the same thing. I explained EXACTLY what it's doing about sticking to the door when it's hot and pulling off from that pin, so hopefully they can get something figured out. Just shows how good that weatherstripping material really is even though it's soft and flimsy LOL. Nothing like a good tactile seal with some heat applied!!! :p

^Worth noting, I DO have less wind noise on hot days LOL

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm picking up some 3M weather stripping adhesive, this should call it a day. Not big enough of a deal to take it to the dealer yet.
I would get in on it pretty quickly. More complaints coming in means more guys at Mazda taking note. At least call the dealer and let them know it's a problem. The weather stripping adhesive may help but won't cure the root cause and will fail again with time. The problem is the weatherstripping sticking to the painted part of the rear corner of the door when it gets hot. This constant tugging on the weatherstripping will cause it to fail pre-maturely and likely at a point when you are outside of warranty. Now if you don't ever use the back doors.. probably not worth it. I use mine 4+ times a day lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. on the passenger side, it has even torn a rip in the weather stripping where it pulls away frm the little tab coming out of the door.

The service tech at the dealer told me to wipe down the weatherstripping lightly wthi some armor all or other trim dressing type detail product and it will make the weather stripping not stick to the painted door frame on the car when you open/close.

Seems to work.

it is hot here in VA so it can be an issue!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for consistency.. Do NOT use armor-all on that part. Some of the others may be OK at best, but if you must use something as a cover up, use vasoline. Though it may make it stick worse if it's a suction cup problem and not a sticky problem. The armor all will screw you over in the long run as it will dry out the natural oils just like how it cracks dashes ;)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just an update on this, talked to the master tech and service manager at the dealer today, he's not playing around with this I can say that much. He's getting the area mazda rep in for the inspection/repair service of the weatherstripping to determine the next step and prevent recurrence. No exact date yet but sometime in the next 2 weeks is all I know as of yet. I just hope for their sake this isn't a ploy to buy time and prevent it from falling within lemon if it becomes irreparable. (Not that I want this car going anywhere, odds are I will tuck tail and seek alternative fixes on my own if it comes to that! O_O!!!!!!)

worth noting, I inspected it a bit further myself today. Has anyone else noticed the corner pieces on all 4 doors use a different STICKIER material than the rest of the stripping? Go take a look for yourselves :) Now ALSO underneath the rear weather stripping there is another indention very near the corner that looks like it was originally meant to be another anchor point but did not get punched out and used in the final production version, but still remained from tooling. Noticed this ONLY on the rear problem doors. It's about halfway between the corner and the next anchor point on top.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is anyone elses falling off like it was never attached at the top rear corner of the rear doors? BOTH of mine are like this. I just noticed it today, but honestly it looks like it came this way. There is a push-pin looking thing that I'm sure was suppose to hold them in place BEHIND the weatherstripping. Neither shows signs of wear or tearing but is completely unattached. Going in for an oil change friday.. so I'll be getting it taken care of. Just curious if any others have seen this.. if not, please check? LOL
I opened the rear drivers side door on my car this weekend to find the weatherstripping pulled over its retainer and flopping loosely.

I was able to pull the retainer out as far as it would go, then put the hole in the weatherstrip over it and stretch it until it slipped back in place.

My first thought was my kids were careless and pulled it loose. Now I see your post and wonder how often this is going to happen, and how long until the hole is stretched out, or I rip it, if this continues to occur?

I'm going to mention it to my dealer for sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I opened the rear drivers side door on my car this weekend to find the weatherstripping pulled over its retainer and flopping loosely.

I was able to pull the retainer out as far as it would go, then put the hole in the weatherstrip over it and stretch it until it slipped back in place.

My first thought was my kids were careless and pulled it loose. Now I see your post and wonder how often this is going to happen, and how long until the hole is stretched out, or I rip it, if this continues to occur?

I'm going to mention it to my dealer for sure.
This is a design flaw that hopefully will be resolved in the 2015 model but for the 2014 model a TSB should be coming out with a fix. New model years always will have these types of issues. It takes one or two model year cycles to work out the bugs.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only took a third time to rip my weatherstripping to the point it won't stay on that retainer no matter what.

Interestingly enough My wife was test driving CX-5's this past weekend and it looks like they have the same design/material of weatherstripping, and even the used one we drove with 10K miles on a VERY HOT MUGGY day did not present this problem. So it is specific to the rear corner design on the 6...

- Also I'll be in with the Mazda rep and service dept Tuesday regarding this issue on my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only took a third time to rip my weatherstripping to the point it won't stay on that retainer no matter what.
I was afraid of that.

I'll be speaking with my dealer about it today, just so they are aware of the issue, in case nobody else has had it, or said anything.

My concerns are:

If a "patch" is put in place where they drill another hole or two, to put fasteners through, the metal is now bare, if they don't paint it, causing a potential rust point.

If they utilize an adhesive as a means to hold the weather stripping to the vehicle, it could cause the rubber to deteriorate and down the road, after it is out of warranty, we could need to buy new weatherstripping.

One suitable "fix" would be to make larger plastic washer, or better yet, a piece of plastic, cut in the shape of the weatherstrip that is an inch or more long, and then insert a new fastener through that. That would hold it very well. If it were cut to conform around that bend of the strip, it would not go anywhere.

In short, I'm very hesitant to allow a dealer to fix it, unless it is approved from a corporate level =)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let the dealer fix it. They have to attempt a repair before they can start hunting problems. My dealer explained it like this, the shipping stuff that is on these cars can make the weatherstripping sticky. If the delivering dealer did not properly clean and cleanse and lube the new weatherstripping the problem we're experiencing occurs. The mazda rep for my dealer is having them put new weatherstripping on my rear doors. Great timing too if they can ever get the new ones in (freaking new cars and low supplies!!!) because my weatherstripping is letting air and who knows what else leak through on the rear. The wind noise from it is driving me nuts when I hear it. For the most part I just crank the radio an extra two points and over-ride it LOL.

FWIW the CX5 rear weatherstripping is designed the same way, and I just test drove one a few weeks ago with 10K miles. it had no issue like mine does.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
You know, I have the same problem on one of my rear doors. The day it happen, it was really hot out, probably near 100 or so, makes sense that the issue could of been due to heat. I don't use my back doors much currently, so I'm just waiting to go to the dealer on my next oil change and have them fix it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know, I have the same problem on one of my rear doors. The day it happen, it was really hot out, probably near 100 or so, makes sense that the issue could of been due to heat. I don't use my back doors much currently, so I'm just waiting to go to the dealer on my next oil change and have them fix it.
call ahead and make them aware... I've been waiting two weeks on my weatherstripping lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts